Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 03:20
They are all very neat tracks. See-Saw too.
Remember A Day is pure GOLD.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 12:04
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

Now that we've all heard The Endless River, where does it stand in your list of Top 10 Floyd albums?

In a CZ thread I remarked that The Endless River ranks at 15th in my chart of Pink Floyd studio albums, so the answer to your question is nowhere. Jim asked to see those rankings so here it is

1. Meddle
2. Dark Side of the Moon
3. Animals
4. Ummagumma
5. Atom Heart Mother
6. Wish You Were Here
7. The soundtrack to More
8. The Division Bell
9. Saucerful of Secrets
10. The Wall
11. Obscured By Clouds
12. Piper At the Gates of Dawn
13. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
14. The Final Cut
15. The Endless River

(note 1: this list is subject change on a whim and TER could feasibly rise above TFC if the wind is in the right direction).

(note 2: on any other forum except this one I would also add that there is a tree full of secrets that could occupy positions 16-34, but as this is this forum please disregard this comment)
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 13:41
Interesting, thanks Dean.  I think I like it more than you, I could get TER as high as 10 or 11 possibly. 

POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2014 at 22:45
I've already listened to The Endless River from start to finish more times than half the albums in their catalog. I think that's saying something. It has enormous replay value.

1. The Division Bell
2. Dogs
3. The Wall
4. The Final Cut
5. Atom Heart Mother
6. The Endless River
7. A Momentary Lapse of Reason
8. Wish You Were Here
9. Dark Side of the Moon
10. Meddle

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 01:12
Originally posted by Stool Man Stool Man wrote:

For me the best Rick-led songs are Remember A Day, Paintbox, Biding My Time, Summer 68, and Stay.

Yeah, I love "Remember a Day" too. Besides that one, I guess my other favourite Rick songs would be "The Great Gig in the Sky" and "Us and Them".
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 10:02
While many of you may have heard about this before, some probably haven't.  This is a real commercial from 73-74.  Presumably the band must have OK'd it?

LOL 

Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 10:21
[QUOTE=POTA]
I've already listened to The Endless River from start to finish more times than half the albums in their catalog. I think that's saying something. It has enormous replay value.

2. Dogs

[/QUOTE]

As in "Animals"?

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 10:31
^ Isn't it the same thing? Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 11:23
^ In the grand scheme of things, yes, only dogs are more equal
POTA View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote POTA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2014 at 19:58
Originally posted by Meltdowner Meltdowner wrote:

^ Isn't it the same thing? Wink

Freudian slip
sikejsudjek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sikejsudjek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 16:48
I think Endless River is going to grow on me. As with a lot of instrumental music it takes time to get into it. I almost wish they'd just released it as one track to avoid the slight gaps when it changes track.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argonaught Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 17:30
Originally posted by Rando Rando wrote:

After that they pretty much lost me.  

Maybe Roger Waters, not they? 

How do you feel about AMLOR's Side B?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 19:41
The Final Cut - soooooooo underrated!!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kentucky_Hawkwindage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kentucky_Hawkwindage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 20:59
Track from The Final Cut-"Not Now John" is underrated.
"Nobody's Gonna Change My World That's Something To Unreal"   Lyrics that i live my life by-from Black Sabbath's Technical Ecstasy's track You Won't Change Me
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2014 at 22:13
Originally posted by sikejsudjek sikejsudjek wrote:

I think Endless River is going to grow on me. As with a lot of instrumental music it takes time to get into it. I almost wish they'd just released it as one track to avoid the slight gaps when it changes track.

That depends on the CD player you are using. If you have access to another CD player, you might want to check it out, perhaps that one will play the transisions without a pause at all.
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 14:53
I was driving into work today and listened to " Echoes" off Meddle. I have been listening to Floyd for almost 43 years. In that time loved ones have come and gone and life soldiers on. I just want to pay tribute to the ever constant companion of their music. It never tires, never labors and well, Echoes sounds as fresh today as it did way back in 71/71.

Next up DSOTM...
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:15
^Amén...

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 15:23
^ That's one good looking cover Cool
The cover of my copy is the one in worst condition in my collection, but the disc plays nicely.... I'll never post a photo of it LOL
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2014 at 16:12

^Mine is just a plain CD LOL, it was merely an act of photo 'copy & paste' from my notebook.

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Stool Man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stool Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2015 at 12:07
Some friends of mine are right at this minute travelling on a train with David Gilmour.  I won't tell you where they're going, but I've seen a photo they took of him 20 minutes ago, so I know it's a fact.

Nice to know that megastars take public transport, eh? Smile
rotten hound of the burnie crew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 26>