Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 08:43
Stumbled across one I'd not watched before.  Remember a Day in '68. 

The fun part about this is they are literally cracking up over having to lip synch, it fun to see Roger laughing so much about miming his parts.  At least I suspect that's what they're laughing about, who knows..

Affek View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Affek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 13:33
I agree that it's Roger who should take all blame for personality clashes, etc. but it all was out of sheer frustration. He wasn't nearly as famous as other members of the band. I remember that in his biography he mentioned that no one really acknowledged him as a driving force. He wanted absolute control but it was because he demanded attention.
Prog Rock (1969-1977)
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 15:08
Live 1970

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2016 at 15:43
God I love this....thank you David

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 11:53
It was 50 years ago today.....

This photo was snapped and four kids had a record deal with EMI.  50 years!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BTrIV7VENhM/UQyNbOING1I/AAAAAAAAIrA/Kg6Tp_rao7o/s1600/Pink+Floyd+1967.jpg
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 14:26
Can't wait for the individual discs from the box set finally gets released!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 15:46
Watched again last night Wider Horizons, I love that documentary. Even my wife enjoys it due to Polly's contributions, the whole wife factor :)

Considering what seems like a very disjointed relationship with his parents, today he seems so unaffected by it.....I always find it sad that he does not miss his mother, but it makes sense.

I for one think David Gilmour is an amazing artist and family man. 

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2017 at 19:49
For a long time the only PF album I owned was "the final cut" which I bought when it first came out. Even then my mom got on my case for buying it because my uncle had all their albums by then. Yes, that's right. My uncle who is now 87 years old is a big fan of Pink Floyd. Because of him I never had to buy their stuff. Instead I could just borrow them or go over to his place and listen. When cds came out he eventually gave me all his old albums(which I still have somewhere). I have him to thank for me getting into them to a great degree. The only thing is he got to see them live and I didn't. I had a ticket to see them but sold it because I didn't want to go by myself(shrugs).  
floyd4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floyd4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2017 at 13:32
Pink Floyd made a ton of masterful tracks. They are inconsistent in style so it's hard to rate them but I'll list some of my favorites and why I think these tracks are great.
Time- The solo is absolutely amazing.
Atom Heart Mother Suite- The melding of classical and rock, along with captivating solos that span many styles is great, and it's impressively original for 1970.
Echoes- This could subsitute LSD. One moment it's serene and the next David Gilmour's guitar is screeching like a whale.
Dogs- The dark, Orwellian lyrics are prominent here like the other tracks in Dogs, but this is where it is most prevalent. Also, when it comes to Floyd, the longer the better.
Every track on the Wall- this may be biased since the Wall was the first Pink Floyd album I listened to, but the nihilistic sound really grabs me in. I've listened to this album every day of my life.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 09:38
http://the-early-years.pinkfloyd.com

Individual discs released on March 24th!
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2017 at 20:46
Not individual discs, but individual "volumes". I hope the prices are accesible enough.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2017 at 00:45
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Not individual discs, but individual "volumes". I hope the prices are accesible enough.

Sorry, volumes indeed. Maybe I was still stunned at only 1CD for 1968 and 1971.
ctasan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctasan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 00:18
I really like the 1969-75 period of Pink Floyd... They released The Dark Side of The Moon, which is far best of Pink Floyd. Just this? Ummagumma, Meddle, AHM, and soundtracks... (I haven't listened them yet)

After Wish You Were Here, things started to go wrong. 1977's Animals suffers a dramatic drop of quality compared to previous one. Guitars took over the attention rather then keyboard, Rick, soul and emotion of the group. The Wall, especially The Final Cut, seems to me just a show of Roger's ego. He can't control himself, with cruelty, drops the bombs and destroys everything. Whoa?! Is that really Pink Floyd? You can just go and listen ear-banging metal!

Then starts the underrated years. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, okay, is under impact of 1980s commercial sound. It properly tells you after-nuclear-war world. Showing signs of life enough? You have to face sorrow.

The Division Bell? Better than The Wall. David's amd Rick's souls merge and this masterpiece is born. Mainly keyboard and guitar, with never-forgotten Rick's drum, properly mixed here. Songs "Marooned", "Keep Talking" and "High Hopes" is unforgettable.

Wish the trio had produced more albums (The Endless River is the confirmation), and wish Rick lived more... I think Roger now sees "what he had done".
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoeDent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 02:23
Animals is Pink Floyd's prog-ROCK album. Guitar prominence over keyboard does not equal a drop in quality. Especially when you have someone like Gilmour playing that guitar. It's Pink Floyd with bite, with edge, with grit. And besides, Rick Wright has his moments in Animals too. The ambient section in Dogs, the intro to Sheep.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 04:11
I didn't know this thread still existed! Thought it was locked away long ago. LOL Ummagumma and Atom Heart Mother have been on my turntable lately. Still really good stuff and I'm still surprised by them!

Edited by SteveG - February 17 2017 at 04:11
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2017 at 21:28
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Animals is Pink Floyd's prog-ROCK album. Guitar prominence over keyboard does not equal a drop in quality. Especially when you have someone like Gilmour playing that guitar. It's Pink Floyd with bite, with edge, with grit. And besides, Rick Wright has his moments in Animals too. The ambient section in Dogs, the intro to Sheep.

Actually, my favourite Pink Floyd album (and just my favourite album overall) is Wish you were Here... but if I want to compare in preference over Animals, I can hardly choose, I love them both so much... WYWH takes the edge in the end, though. And yes, I do believe Wright shines on Animals too, even if his writing credits are nonexistant. You also forgot the keyboards on Pigs, for me it's Wright the one that makes that song memorable.
ctasan View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctasan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 09:37
I have listened Animals several times - yes, didn't forgot Wright here, my point is Wright has been overshadowed by guitars, this resulted in a change of direction towards hard rock. See The Wall. Existence of keyboard is hardly noticeable, in my opinion.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2017 at 11:42
Rick Wright also shines on You Crazy Diamond (part 5-9)............ my favourite track  off WYWH Wink
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 06:11
Just bought the 2 cd set Pink Floyd The Early Years 1967-1972-intriguing collection which starts off with one of my fave Floyd songs Arnold Layne. Awesome!

Edited by presdoug - March 08 2017 at 06:12
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2017 at 13:19
^ Yeah, I bought it recently too. Some goodies in there! Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>