Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdmins out of touch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is the current Admins handling of the site appropriate?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
12 [75.00%]
2 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [6.25%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Admins out of touch?
    Posted: January 20 2007 at 04:48
During my tenure at PA, I was "promoted" to Special Collaborator on the back of my numerous reviews. At some stage I found it "reduced" to Prog Reviewer. No drama, it's not an ego thing for me.
PA grew fast and at some stage Admins were appointed to reign over the conduct of affairs. Fair enough, but following Maani's deparure, almost immediately four locked announcements appeared in front of every single Forum subjects, presenting a rather draconian set of rules. 
Not pretty, but one can live with that - grudgingly.

I grew up with Prog as it was understood back then in the early 70's. (I am pushing 51 now). At PA I made an effort to disseminate information that some younger people may not have had access to. It wasn't always well received by some dominant characters with their own views, but I percevered in good faith.
Never resorting to foul language - unlike some others -, but making a spirited effort to explain the relevance of some ignored artists included and in a category that would be appropriate.

My contribution to the "Jimi Hendrix replacement poll" was used to remove my internal access to the Collab Zone. Nothing much exciting was happening there anyway, but the arrogance of Tony R in engineering my removal is not taken lightly. He used the excuse of my views on the inclusion of Hendrix and previously of Led Zeppelin to create tension and to gag me.
The "Jimi Hendrix replacement poll" was started by "Easy Livin", but Mr R. felt at liberty to close it himself - rather prematurely - after a spiteful diatribe delivered without giving anyone a chance to respond to. That diatribe was further extended in his PM to me, advising of an "Admin Decision" of my privileges curtailed.

It is claimed to be endorsed by Easy livin, Atkingani, Ghost Rider and The Progtologist. None of whom bothered to contact me and the latter three I've never, ever had any contact with.
Not very fair, or professional - I'd say - if it's true.

Tony R has been less than endearing towards me in the past and his arrogant contribution is not seen as an asset to PA. I have often offered assistance  and to my disappointment, there was no response. Not even a polite decline whilst I had much to share.

PA is not well served with such limited and dominating attitudes on display by a few "influential" ones at the helm. The selfish arrogance on display is truly disappointing. Prog remains the greatest loser.

I've often been criticized by contributors before, few of those remained active on PA. The Archives seem to be at crossroads. 

Edited by S Lang - January 20 2007 at 05:04
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 05:24
oh boy......
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 05:25
I hope this doesn't escalate into a Admin hating thread. I think they are doing a good job for voluntary work. They are trying to keep the site functional and appropriate for all ages. 
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 05:31
From what I've seen on this forum the admins are doing a fantastic job, yes there are a few controversial decisions but that is inevitable in a forum of this size.

From my own experience as an admin of a very small forum I admire the way they keep PA running so well.
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 05:43
They do a fine job, a.f.a.i.c.t. I haven't been part of your discussions, so I won't take side there. 
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:09
I hate the admins!!!! they blow!!!

...not Wink
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:20
As far as I'm concerned, they all do a good (unpaid) job in their spare time and I've never had a problem with any of them.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:27
Great job!Hug
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:38
oh wow...

nothing like taking a personal squable and turning it into a public spectacle.  Really classy you  numbnut.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Joren View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:40
They are doing a great job.
eugene View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:46
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

I hope this doesn't escalate into a Admin hating thread. I think they are doing a good job for voluntary work. They are trying to keep the site functional and appropriate for all ages. 

I agree with you, but have to point out that your fears are groundless - this can only escalate into Admin praising thread.

carefulwiththataxe
glass house View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:46
Great job - there won't be any special collab who will say otherwise, will they?

It's a diffucult job which do they very well. 

kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:56
actually, this looks like more to a personal matter...

i believe the admins are doing a great job, at least they have tried to

Edited by kazansky - January 20 2007 at 09:24
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
JayDee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 08:59
I really admire the admins here in this site. I meant that with all of my heart. Some of them I consider friends, well, internet friends for that matter. Best admins in the whole wide web if you ask meEmbarrassed. I hope this matter will be resolved peacefully, quietly and as soon as possible.

Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 09:00
I don't experience any problems really.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 09:54
   It is easy to criticize someone else. Finding out where you may have been wrong is difficult.
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 10:54
Thanks for the show of confidence.
One feels that one is "empowered" to make decisions, and sometimes that means not being afraid to make "difficult" decisions about people.
The decision to remove Mr Lang from the Collab Zone was unanimous amongst the Admin Team. Mr Lang seems to doubt this and this kind of veiled accusation of impropriety is exactly why he has been removed from The Collab Zone.
The position would become untenable if one thought one had to worry about the chorus of disapproval everytime this kind of situation arose, so the result of this poll is gratifying indeed.
Neither I nor any other member of the Admin Team believes we do everything perfectly. The broad contrast of our personalities mean that we have a good dynamic going even if some of us are less phlegmatic than other members of our Team. The point is we always try and do the right thing for the right reasons and believe me this job isnt easy.
I wont comment further about the originator of this thread only to say that my criticism of him in the thread he refers to was harsh and maybe should have been written in a PM instead of in the public forum, however he chose to make his feelings public and has done for a while now, so why offer him a courtesy he isnt prepared to reciprocate?
I will of course be closing this thread, not to get the final word - heck I have just returned from work so wasnt able to respond sooner, and if Mr Lang has anything further to say he can contact me or any other Admin by PM.

Edited by Tony R - January 20 2007 at 10:59
 Post Reply Post Reply