Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDavid Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First
    Posted: January 20 2007 at 16:42

Do you know this album? It's rarely recognized here. It's got only three reviewes though it's been here since 2004. Thus, I'd like to know what do you think about it.

Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
kisu View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 17:23
I´d almost forgotten that album! It´s mystical, I´ve always fancied it a lot.  And I adore Sylvian´s voice...
This album somehow got me into acquiring several Fripp solo albums as a consequence  Smile
Reaching the snow
In the days of the cold
Casting a Spell out of Ice
Zoot Allures View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 20 2007 at 23:51
Funny you should mention this CD.Star Just listened to it two days ago!Thumbs UpClap
The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. - Hunter S. Thompson
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 02:08

It's a good album, out of an interesting collaboration. I myself like the Damage live performance more, but this isn't bad to mention. On both the looks of Fripp's "afectuous" work and Sylvian's "dedicated" art.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 08:51
This is the one that got me to start exploring David's albums. I do like the live album Damage a little more. Which actuall arrived in the mail with a cracked CD case. Ah, the irony.

There is a lot of music on this site that doesn't get the review attention it deserves, while the usual suspects are always flooded. Won't you please help and adopt an un or underreviewed album today?
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 09:40
there's also the issue of the common Fripp/Sylvian albums being in both sections, but receiving different reviews/ratings/opinions (much like the Fripp &Eno albums were before being separately mentioned). won't some help and adopt a merging strategy on that?
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 10:32
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

there's also the issue of the common Fripp/Sylvian albums being in both sections, but receiving different reviews/ratings/opinions (much like the Fripp &Eno albums were before being separately mentioned). won't some help and adopt a merging strategy on that?

What can I say, this is a David Sylvan titled album and that where all the reviews belong. You're a Special Collaborator, why can't you do something about that?

Edited by Slartibartfast - January 21 2007 at 10:33
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 10:40
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

What can I say, this is a David Sylvan titled album and that where all the reviews belong. You're a Special Collaborator, why can't you do something about that?

I can't move albums, if that's what you mean.
I did announce the double-sided problem, but no response yet.

think is that, if it is a Sylvan, it's the fault of Fripp having been here way before Sylvan - with all his collaborations.
frippster View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 10:44
Actually I bought it a couple of months ago hoping it would interest me in Sylvian's work, having heard his briliant song Heartbeat in collaboration with Ryuichi Sakamoto. I still play it every so often but I can't get into it. I don't dislike any of the songs, I love the performance, Sylvian's voice is fantastic, but the grooves just take over and overextend the songs for ever. It has been said that Fripp asked Sylvian to front KC after this collaboration (after THRAK). I don't know if this is true or not, but I doubt they could have produced something nearly as brilliant as The Power to Believe.
I find this cd interesting, but not essential, I'd give it 3 stars if I reviewed it. I've read many times that Fripp-produced Damage is better.
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 21 2007 at 17:10
Just listening to it again. Smile
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
cuoredifalena View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 10:13
both Sylvian and Fripp are among my favourite artists,i love this album,very original..
DAMAGE the live album,in which other members of King crimson get together,Trey Gunn on Warr Guitar and Pat Mastelotto on drums..
other guitarist being MichaekL Brook,is great also...

Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2007 at 18:42
It's curious... Like others have already mentioned, I'm not particularly impressed with this album, although all the premises for me to like it were there in the beginning. I love Sylvian's solo work in general, but I find his contribution somewhat cold and monotonous on this release, while Fripp's parts go on for too much and I just can't seem to get in the mood they try to induce... I remember having heard a remix of "Darshan" and I actually enjoyed it more than the album version. So, I would say The First Day is interesting, but both have done better elsewhere.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
 Post Reply Post Reply