Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMissing information about Polish bands

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 05:13
Yep, it was the wrong album .... by me CryLOL .... I was looking at the original version

Done now 
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 16:34
One more mistake I've made: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=14709

It should be The Best in the title ("e" letter missing).
Sorry... Embarrassed
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 05:33
Question: why have you named it "The Best (Album Live)" when it is listed on his website as "Upojenie"? We have all his other albums in Polish so why not this one?
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 05:49
Well, I used another site: http://www.archiwumrocka.art.pl/1726,opis.html

Not only the title is different but also the year of release and the number of tracks.

Confused
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 06:30
I've just spent a while searching, and only came up with one other reference to these albums .... http://daz.com/releases/Marek%20Grechuta/the%20best.html .... which has the same details as yours, but no cover  Confused

So ..... is it the same album ... perhaps the 1997 version is an expanded re-issue for the international market? Any ideas?
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:00
I googled the label "FDM Records" and I got: http://www.fdmrecords.com/
It looks like it's not the label that issued Marek Grechuta's compilation. There must have been another FDM Records...? Confused
I'm not an expert in Grechuta's discography and I don't have this album. I haven't found it on two other sites at all... What's the site's policy in such cases?

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:11
Well ...... I don't want to change anything until we are sure what is what, so let's hope something turns up
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:15
By the way .... I noticed your name was wrong in the bio so I have changed it .... OK?
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:32
Originally posted by Joolz Joolz wrote:

Excellent .... pics are updated .... thanks for those Smile

I noticed the website for Satellite is also wrong ..... goes to a computer site  Unhappy

Keep 'em coming   Thumbs%20Up

Cheers
Joolz

Ya, that's been a problem for awhile. Unless they made a new site, I don't know if there is one. Confused
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 08:07

By the way .... I noticed your name was wrong in the bio so I have changed it .... OK?

Was it Bartłomiej? It's ok both ways. Bartek is a shorter form of Bartłomiej. It's like William and Bill. Smile

BTW, I noticed that the discography listed under Grechuta's bio misses polish letters. Correct version:

Discography:
Marek Grechuta & Anawa (1970 - studio album)
Korowód (1971 - studio album)
Droga za widnokres (1972 - studio album)
Magia obłoków (1974 - studio album)
Szalona lokomotywa (1977 - studio album)
Pieśni Marka Grechuty do słów Tadeusza Nowaka (1979 - studio album)
Śpiewające obrazy (1981 - studio album)
W malinowym chruśniaku (1984 - studio album)
Wiosna - ach to ty (1987 - studio album)
Krajobraz pełen nadziei (1989 - studio album)
Ocalić od zapomnienia (1990 - compilation)
Piosenki dla dzieci i rodziców (1991 - studio album)
Dziesięć ważnych słów (1994 - studio album)
Niezwykłe miejsca (2003 - studio album)

And there's only one compilation listed here while there's obviously more. I haven't added all of them yet.

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 07:15
Disc list done ... thanks

Your name .... your surname was "Ślązak"
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 16:28
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Was it Bartłomiej? It's ok both ways. Bartek is a shorter form of Bartłomiej. It's like William and Bill. Smile

BTW, I noticed that the discography listed under Grechuta's bio misses polish letters. Correct version:

Discography:
Marek Grechuta & Anawa (1970 - studio album)
Korowód (1971 - studio album)
Droga za widnokres (1972 - studio album)
Magia obłoków (1974 - studio album)
Szalona lokomotywa (1977 - studio album)
Pieśni Marka Grechuty do słów Tadeusza Nowaka (1979 - studio album)
Śpiewające obrazy (1981 - studio album)
W malinowym chruśniaku (1984 - studio album)
Wiosna - ach to ty (1987 - studio album)
Krajobraz pełen nadziei (1989 - studio album)
Ocalić od zapomnienia (1990 - compilation)
Piosenki dla dzieci i rodziców (1991 - studio album)
Dziesięć ważnych słów (1994 - studio album)
Niezwykłe miejsca (2003 - studio album)

And there's only one compilation listed here while there's obviously more. I haven't added all of them yet.

Strange... There are also polish letters missing in the bio! But it was me who wrote it and I'm sure they were there... Confused
Anyway, here's the corrected version:

MAREK GRECHUTA was born on 10 December 1945 in Zamość, where he went to primary and secondary school. He’d been interested in music since childhood and begun to learn playing the piano at the age of seven.

He bound his fate with Kraków though, where he moved to study architecture. There GRECHUTA met his future friend Jan Kanty Pawluśkiewicz, with whom he decided to start a cabaret group in the manner of Piwnica pod Baranami (an artistic bohema in Kraków which lasts to this day). This cabaret act, which took the name ANAWA (from the French 'en avant', which means “forward”), begun to perform in a student club “Bambuko”. The first decent success came with the performance on Festiwal Piosenki Studenckiej in 1967. GRECHUTA took the second place in this contest behind a young student from Warszawa – Maryla Rodowicz (who later also became a famous singer in Poland). The final of the contest was broadcast live by the television what enabled the young archtecture student to be seen by the whole Poland. The next important event for MAREK GRECHUTA was his taking part in FAMA Festival, where the young artist won the first prize.
Those successes led him to perform on the most important contest in Poland in that time, which was the Festival in Opole. In the next year, 1970, GRECHUTA released his debut album called simply “Marek Grechuta & Anawa” (predated by a 4-song EP in 1969). It was a mix of cabaret, lyrical songs with neobaroque sound so characteristic, as it turned out later, for ANAWA.

In 1971 MAREK GRECHUTA and Jan Kanty Pawluśkiewicz recorded their second album, titled “Korowód”, which is considered one of the most important in the history of Polish popular music. It contained two songs regarded as generation hymns - "Świecie nasz" and title “Korowód”. This album made GRECHUTA a star!

Despite all this successes the band suddenly broke up. GRECHUTA and Jan Kanty Pawluśkiewicz split. As GRECHUTA admitted himself, there were too many individualities in the group, so it couldn’t last long.

MAREK GRECHUTA arranged his own band then – WIEM. The name is an abbreviation of “w innej epoce muzycznej”, which means “in another musical epoch”. This way he wanted to communicate the complete change of musical direction. The two albums he recorded with WIEM – “Droga za widnokres” in 1972 and “Magia Obłoków” in 1974 – are the key albums for any prog lover who wants to explore GRECHUTA’s works. The music they contain is magical, poetic art rock with jazz influences.

However, the artist himself felt unsure of hi new musical direction, and his flirt with art rock ended in 1976, when he begun to cooperate with Jan Kanty Pawluśkiewicz again. Together they reactivated ANAWA (with known from LABORATORIUM Ścierańscy brothers), and wrote a musical based around works of a Polish avantgarde writer Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz (also called Witkacy) titled “Szalona Lokomotywa”. This musical and LP with music from it (issued in 1977) made a huge success after which GRECHUTA and Pawluśkiewicz split again.

In the following years MAREK GRECHUTA performed in Piwnica pod Baranami and issued many good and well received albums with compositions to poems of several Polish poets. In 1991 he surprised his fans by rerecording material from “Droga za widnokres” with ANAWA in order to expose young generations to this cult masterpiece.

In 1994 MAREK GRECHUTA recorded an album titled “Dziesięć ważnych słów” dealing with social problems, which was unusual for him. He was really adored and, when at the age of 60 he suddenly died (though it wasn’t a secret that he’d been ill for a long time) on 9 October 2006, the whole of Poland was in mourning...

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 08:17
Bio updated .... Thumbs%20Up  Looks better now.

Some people seem to have problems with these Polish/etc characters - not sure what the problem is but for some reason they don't transcribe properly .... seems OK when I do it so there must be some difference in our system set-ups Confused
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 20:32
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

One more mistake I've made: http://www.progarchives.com/Progressive_rock_discography_CD.asp?cd_id=14709

It should be The Best in the title ("e" letter missing).
Sorry... Embarrassed

Hey! You didn't fix this!

Charles Bukowski
Joolz View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 07:55
I did now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12