FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe musical genius of Kerry Minnear

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The musical genius of Kerry Minnear
    Posted: January 26 2007 at 10:31
This is appreciation thread of Kerry Minnear. One of the best keyboardists of the golden prog rock era (the best if you ask me). A real overlooked virtuoso.

Please if you call yourself fan of Gentle Giant buy ' Gentle Giant : Giant on the box'. You will not believe what you see

Edited by oracus - January 26 2007 at 10:36

Soulman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:14
I agree, Kerry Minnear is overlooked as a keyboardist icon. But then again, so is Tony Banks.

I think it has more to do with stage presence, which Kerry lacks.

Nonetheless, awesome keyboardist!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't Kill the Whale, Dig it Dig it" - Jon Anderson

I shall live by those words all my life Jon
iguana View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:16
i saw that DVD – it's quite unbelievable, what they pull off on there.
i have yet to discover the true appreciation for GG (a friend of mine –
the owner of that DVD – keeps working me) but i realise they were
well ahead in their game.
progressive rock and rural tranquility don't match. true or false?
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:42

A Gentle Giant fan since I was about twelve years old unfortunately I never got to see them live.Cry I believe Kerry was the member of  GG who was the most frustrated over the changing musical trends of the late seventies ( ie the evil forces of punk and disco ) and was the  first to throw in the towel after Civilian which was not a bad album considering the simplification which occured in their music starting on the Missing Piece album. Just an amazing keyboard player who, whatever keyboard he was playing a moog synth a Hammond etc. he played them all LIKE keyboards and never did the Emerson or Wakeman freakout thing. That`s what I found very unique about his playing with Gentle Giant.

Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:46
A beautiful and original player Thumbs Up

Maybe one reason he is so overlooked is because he didn't go in for the kind of bombastic show-offery that certain other keyboardists were known for...

Then again GG as a whole are very overlooked except in places like this Cry

Edited by Mascodagama - January 26 2007 at 11:53
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 11:48
Total agreement from this fan. Your comment on Minnear & Tony Banks rings true. Compared to Emerson or Wakeman, they don't get a fair shake in the talent competition due to the "flair" often exhibited by Keith & Rick. And honestly, when it comes to Wakeman, I've never been able to see the reasons for his being called a keyboard prodigy. I've heard his stuff with the Strawbs, Yes, & some of his solo stuff. He is very good, but compared to Minnear & Banks, his forte is not the ensemble player, the team guy whose contribution isn't obvious. So Wakeman's appearance or non-appearance on a Yes album has never made a difference in my liking or disliking that particular Yes album. Minnear, as clearly stated, plays as band member (an important one ), but never goes out on a w**king keyboard extravaganza just to show off. And Banks, for me, I am surprised that he doesn't get asked more often to guest on other peoples albums. I don't care for his solo albums, mostly because of the vocals & lyrics which detract from the total album, but the keyboards are dreamy, stately, regal even, but not overboard.
P.S. Along with Giant on the Box, check out GG at the GG. Both are manna from heaven for GG fans, highlighting all these magnificient musicians talents.

Edited by pantacruelgruel - January 26 2007 at 11:50
IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 12:28
It should be noted Minnear’s contribution as a composer has been great.

As per the DVD’s, both Giant on the Box and GG at the GG are excellent.
oracus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 13:09
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

A beautiful and original player [IMG]height=17 alt="Thumbs Up" src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley20.gif" width=23 align=absMiddle>

Maybe one reason he is so overlooked is because he didn't go in for the kind of bombastic show-offery that certain other keyboardists were known for...

Then again GG as a whole are very overlooked except in places like this [IMG]height=17 alt=Cry src="http://www.progarchives.com/forum/smileys/smiley19.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Exactly

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 16:01
Originally posted by Soulman Soulman wrote:

I agree, Kerry Minnear is overlooked as a keyboardist icon. But then again, so is Tony Banks.

Nonetheless, awesome keyboardist!

I first saw the Brussels concert which now features on GIANT ON THE BOX, when it was shown on Dutch TV, probably in 1976. (Erik Neuteboom mentions the occasion in his review of LIVE PLAYING THE FOOL. Apparently that same evening immediately turned him into a GG fan.) At the time, I thought: 'THAT guy can't be a prog keyboardist! He should be sporting long fair hair and a glitter cape!'

Watching the same program on DVD now, I just think Kerry looks cool. (And yes, what a superb player he is!) Just compare that to Patrick Moraz' ridiculous antics on the YES AT QPR live video, recorded during the RELAYER tour. I love Patrick's musical contribution to Yes, but compared to Kerry, it's PAT who was 'playing the fool'!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 17:03
I've got the DVD and he is superb there.Apparently Keith Emerson had very high regard for him..and thats praise indeed!
lunaticviolist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 17:11
One of my favorites for sure!
My recent purchases:
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 17:16
You lucky Fuxi to have witnessed GG live in 1975!

One of the great elements of Kerry Minnear his varied and virtuosic keyboard play is his work on the very distinctive Hohner D6 clavinet, I love that sound Thumbs Up
endlessepic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2007 at 18:59
Kerry Minnear was indeed incredible. I have heard that he arranged the vocal harmonys for Gentle Giant but I am not sure on that. I love the little organ "Spurts" and clavier lines that he throws in all over the place. Awesome classical leanings too.
I have no problem with theatrical keyboards (ala Emerson and Wakemen) and I love both of those guys' talents but Minnear is truly awesome on the keys!

My copy of "Octopus" was lost in the mail and now is having trouble being re-shipped...I CANT WAIT TO GET IT!!!
(I ordered it from Moviemars.com)
MattiR View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 12:56
I love Giant Giant, so... I love Kerry! He looks like... a wizard with his black hair and beard.

IMO any music comparison between Wakeman, Emerson and Minnear is unnecessary. All of them belong to my favourite keyboards.

Smile

Edited by MattiR - January 27 2007 at 12:57
The Green Tank View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2007 at 18:20
Truly one of the best keyboardists of all time along with Emerson, Wakeman, and Banks.

BePinkTheater View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2007 at 21:07
I love him, and the whole band.

They never stop amazing me.
I can strangle a canary in a tin can and it would be really original, but that wouldn't save it from sounding like utter sh*t.
-Stone Beard
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 03:00
His contribution to the band was enormous in many more ways than just kbds [if that wasn't enough]. His work on cello, tuned percussion incl. vibes, his atmospheric vocals and even guitar together with his song writing and arranging are phenomenal imo.

Highlights for me include the organ solos on 'Working All Day'and 'Playing The Game', the wonderful electric piano[?] sound behind 'Aspirations', all keyboard contributions to 'The Advent of Panurge' and the perhaps under-appreciated piano vamping under the middle and solo sections of 'His Last Voyage'. Of course, there are many more.

What a player! What a musician!
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 08:35
Kerry Minnear is a master of harmony, subtlety and dynamics: regarding the latter, I especially consider his clever use of the organ and clavinet as a bridge between the main melody and the rhythm section. Of course, his skills also include playing energetic solos on organ or synth, but his solos were mostly destined to complete a musical idea and take it to a more energetic for a while rather than just display a pompous show-off. A radical example of subtle solo is the piano one for 'His Last Voyage', so full of silent moments, while Green played his solo in a bluesy manner. His efforts were complex yet not evidently so most of the times. His efforts on other instruments were also very important for GG's pallet: vibes, cello and recorder, all of them played flawlessly to enrich a musical idea.

Kind regards.
mrgd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 17:44
About KM not being 'flashy' like other keyboard exponents of the time' all I can say is that it's hard to be 'flashy' when you're that busy!!
[Check out the DVDs if you haven't already].
Looking still the same after all these years...
mrgd
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2007 at 20:21
Originally posted by Soulman Soulman wrote:

or good 'taste' which some think Banks lacks LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>