FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNew Marillion album "Somewhere else" details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 11:42
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

this is the second album I know of which will be published in early March. I will definitely go for the one which will be published 4 days earlier and leave out the new Marillion release. the band was bearable with Fish in it, and "Fugazi" even has some moments, in my opinion, but Hogarth is a catastrophy (one of the most expressionless singers I ever came across), and the band as a whole changed for the worse. not that I ever was a big fan of them

Dear BOLD Jean,
leave out what yo like and listen to what you like but I don't know about a band working nowadays that took such an exciting upward development like Marillion did with Hogarth... if this is a  catastrophe I'm wishing for more catastrophes like that to happen... I liked this band first, since "Seasons end" i came to love them.
...I'm a musician/singer/songwriter, visit me on www.reverbnation.com/rupertlenz and there you can choose from 125 recordings you can listen to ( for free ) if you're not limited to prog-rock !
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 14:51
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Suit yourself, but I have a hard time envisioning this disc NOT being the best CD I buy in 2007. Could be a close race with the new Neal Morse, though.

E

Don't forget about the new Porcupine Tree! (If you like them that is Eric Wink)
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 15:29
I really like 'Season's End' and 'Afraid Of Sunlight'- as good as any from the Fish era. 'Marbles' is up there too but it's an album which took a while to grow on me, though. 'Brave' still hasn't, though.Sleepy
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2007 at 15:51
Originally posted by Tristan Mulders Tristan Mulders wrote:

Suit yourself, but I have a hard time envisioning this disc NOT being the best CD I buy in 2007. Could be a close race with the new Neal Morse, though.

E

Tristan,

I like Porcupine Tree a lot. They're not in my upper tier of favorite bands, but I try to keep current on what their doing and what they're producing. I'm sure the next disc will be phenomenal.

If anything, I'm pretty stoked about the new Riverside. I hope it's a killer.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 11:47

E

Tristan,

I like Porcupine Tree a lot. They're not in my upper tier of favorite bands, but I try to keep current on what their doing and what they're producing. I'm sure the next disc will be phenomenal.

E

Yeah, I need to get my hands on that one as well as soon as it gets released.

On marillion's new effort: I heard several songs live this weekend and they did indeed rock! Although not without losing the atmospheric sections. Reminded me a bit of Afraid of Sunlight or Seasons End (The albums that is).
You can find them HERE

Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2007 at 11:59
Originally posted by rupert rupert wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

this is the second album I know of which will be published in early March. I will definitely go for the one which will be published 4 days earlier and leave out the new Marillion release. the band was bearable with Fish in it, and "Fugazi" even has some moments, in my opinion, but Hogarth is a catastrophy (one of the most expressionless singers I ever came across), and the band as a whole changed for the worse. not that I ever was a big fan of them

Dear BOLD Jean,

leave out what yo like and listen to what you like but I don't know about a band working nowadays that took such an exciting upward development like Marillion did with Hogarth... if this is a  catastrophe I'm wishing for more catastrophes like that to happen... I liked this band first, since "Seasons end" i came to love them.

My sentiments exactly.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 09:59

E

Tristan,

E
Yeah, I need to get my hands on that one as well as soon as it gets released.On marillion's new effort: I heard several songs live this weekend and they did indeed rock! Although not without losing the atmospheric sections. Reminded me a bit of Afraid of Sunlight or Seasons End (The albums that is).

Tristan,

I just got an email from a friend here in the States who made the trip and she said the new songs are very strong and solid. She said one or two may reflect H's discontent with the world today, so it sounds as if he's becoming political, which worries me (I'd hate to see a Marillion version of PoS's "America" on Somewhere Else.)

She said she could've done without the second night, which was nothing but covers, but said that the weekend was incredible. Especially Sunday night. She even said they pulled "Blind Curve" out of moth balls. I have an FRC release from Lausanne where they do "Lords Of The Backstage/Blind Curve" and H did a great job. I wonder if that night will be released on CD/DVD. I'm sure we'll see night 1 with The Strange Engine in some form or another.

She also got me a copy of the new DVD....which I'm pretty excited about.

E
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 12:53

E

Tristan,

E
Yeah, I need to get my hands on that one as well as soon as it gets released.On marillion's new effort: I heard several songs live this weekend and they did indeed rock! Although not without losing the atmospheric sections. Reminded me a bit of Afraid of Sunlight or Seasons End (The albums that is).

Tristan,

I just got an email from a friend here in the States who made the trip and she said the new songs are very strong and solid. She said one or two may reflect H's discontent with the world today, so it sounds as if he's becoming political, which worries me (I'd hate to see a Marillion version of PoS's "America" on Somewhere Else.)

She said she could've done without the second night, which was nothing but covers, but said that the weekend was incredible. Especially Sunday night. She even said they pulled "Blind Curve" out of moth balls. I have an FRC release from Lausanne where they do "Lords Of The Backstage/Blind Curve" and H did a great job. I wonder if that night will be released on CD/DVD. I'm sure we'll see night 1 with The Strange Engine in some form or another.

She also got me a copy of the new DVD....which I'm pretty excited about.

E

The covers night as well as the Band's favourites nights were among the most intense gigs I've EVER witnessed! I heard a lot of people complaining about the setlist 'Oh, I expected this and they didn't play that... " blabla.. let the band surprise you!

I was well impressed by their version of Toxic and definitely hope they release it as a B-Side on the new single!
You can find them HERE

salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 10:46

Thought you guys might like to read this review of the album...

Malve87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 08:14

Personally, after the first listening of the clips on their Myspace page, the album seems much better than "Marbles"; a very good album, anyway we'll see....

]
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 15:31
Shameless bit of selfpromotion, but I just wrote the first collab review for Marillion's new album "Somewhere Else". If you'd like to read it, it's over here.

Cheers,

- Tristan
You can find them HERE

MVD Visual View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 14:28
Hello all - please pardon my shameless promotion. I represent the North American distributor of Marillion's new CD release, and I wanted to let everyone know about the promotion we're running with FYE. if you visit www.fye.com/marillion the CD is available for a very good price, and we're giving away a bonus download with purchases plus a chance to win a guitar signed by the band. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 16:11
^Well, at least you post in the correct topic so I don't think people wil be mad at you LOL
You can find them HERE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12