Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHelp with Mr. Bungle and more...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with Mr. Bungle and more...
    Posted: January 30 2007 at 19:45

HELP. I just bought online some records. I had to buy POS' Scarsick so, as always, I had to buy more cds. I bought Mr. Bungle's Disco Volante, plus Unexpected, Peter Gabriel 3 and Arcturus' Masquerade Infernale. I still have time to undo my purchase. Do you think the Mr. bungle cd is good? I haven't heard ANYTHING from that genre except a little old Zappa so I'm as ignorant as they come... but the reviews sounded great... and Patton... any comments? Smile

Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 19:47
It's a very diverse album. I think you may like it, but it'll probably take awhile to appreciate it like most people do.
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 20:04
In my opinion Disco Volante is a masterpiece although it clearly isn't for everyone. The chances of liking / disliking it are split in half so good luck and I hope you'll like it.

Edited by chamberry - January 30 2007 at 20:04

moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 20:23
Personally, I think Disco Volante is Bungle's worst album by far, but I seem to be near alone in this opinion.
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 20:27
Disco volante was probably the worst starting place for them Ermm

If you dislike it, give it time, its hard to get into....and if not still, try California, it's a lot more accessible

MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 21:10

I can't give Disco Volante justice with words alone.

enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 21:11
Like you, I recently tried to get into Mr. Bungle and the craziness of its genre by diving into Disco Volante.

Let's just say it still hasn't caught on yet. I hear lots of good bits and pieces in it, but there's also quite a bit that I don't like or find boring.

I'm not saying you should cancel it though, it's certainly an interesting album, and I haven't given it enough of a chance yet.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Peter Gabriel 3 is great. Like Sam Adams, it is always a good decision.

Edited by enteredwinter - January 30 2007 at 21:15
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 21:21
Anybody who buys a Mr. Bungle cd needs A LOT of help. Wink
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 21:28
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Anybody who buys a Mr. Bungle cd needs A LOT of help. Wink

Yes, I know... but I am helpless... Helpless, helplese, helpless....
And Mr. Bungle is just the tip of the iceberg....

But I listen and love "normal" music as well, so there might be hope...

zappaholic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 21:52
Gotta echo the others here.  Disco Volante is the most "difficult" of their 3 albums - it takes awhile to truly get into it, but it can be very rewarding.
"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard." -- H.L. Mencken
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 22:03
Yes, it is in the Mr. Bungle discography the most hard to get into (although I liked it frfom first listen), and still it's as inaccessible as others in ZAR.
I won't get into the "what to first get into", as it is a personal and different experience to everyone, so I wish you to enjoy this. But, if you do not like this, either repeated listenings, or put it aside and try for the meantime others until you gain the "ear".
Anyway, as I posted in the RIO thread, there is so much divergence here, that I strongly recommend to not despair of a "genre" (and I don't like this term in this regard) because of one album.
Try Discus - Tot Licht or Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors if you despair of this (they have a similar approach to music).

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2007 at 23:58
Disco Volante is in my top 3 albums ever... http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=70952

But knowing you mr. T, you will probably hate it. So big mistake.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 00:47
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

Disco Volante is in my top 3 albums ever... http://www.progarchives.com/Review.asp?id=70952

But knowing you mr. T, you will probably hate it. So big mistake.

I'm sure I won't probably get it the first time, but don't take me as closed-minded for unusual music (for lack of a better term). With KD I explained my reasons, but I can take weird, short, minimalist music. If it has short songs, it already has a much bigger chance of getting through me than KD.

Ironically enough, it was yourreview that convinced me. So I'll be talking to you if I don't like it. Big%20smileWink

The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 01:07
Awww really?Embarrassed

It's overall a very crazy album but most songs do have melody, it just changes very frequenty... I predict you won't like The Bends much though
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 01:15
Disco Volante is their best album (though I have to admit that their debut is almost as good.Embarrassed) Not easy-listening, and it's very diverse too, but if you're not lucky on first listen, continue to play it several times. It's really a grower. 
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 08:54
Disco Volante is a fabulous album, but I'm not sure if you will like it. Keep an open mind though! And if you don't like it, don't let it prevent you from buying other Avant albums, not everything in that section of the site is like Mr. Bungle.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 09:22
Either way (whether you like or dislike it) Disco Volante is a superb album to buy for the fact alone that it will expand your musical boundaries if you previously didn't listen to really weird music. Recommended follow-ups:

Fantomas - Fantomas
John Zorn - Astronome
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

Big%20smile
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 09:26
I got into it instantly. Depending on whether you like the psychotic episodes or the soundscapes more, go for either the first or the most recent fantomas album next ;)

stuff like X-Legged Sally and Aksak Maboul is good avant-garde that is still fun and warm.
Young View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 09:29
Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

Yes, it is in the Mr. Bungle discography the most hard to get into (although I liked it frfom first listen), and still it's as inaccessible as others in ZAR.
I won't get into the "what to first get into", as it is a personal and different experience to everyone, so I wish you to enjoy this. But, if you do not like this, either repeated listenings, or put it aside and try for the meantime others until you gain the "ear".
Anyway, as I posted in the RIO thread, there is so much divergence here, that I strongly recommend to not despair of a "genre" (and I don't like this term in this regard) because of one album.
Try Discus - Tot Licht or Estradasphere - Palace of Mirrors if you despair of this (they have a similar approach to music).

I agree with this.
And also he can try the other Patton or Spruance bands like Secret Chiefs 3 and Fantomas and Tomahawk and the likes.

The question is do you want to open up to this sort of music or do you simply want to say you tried it, knowing in advance you will dislike it? This has not much to do with KD.
As Assaf said, dont let this particuar album set your opinion on the whole plethora of avant prog albums and bands.
Maybe you'll like the more "accessible" and humouristic style of Samla, Miriodor, Ensemble Nimbus etc? That is another approach to RIO/Avant (look at the RIO thread to see the genre breakup Assaf mentions in yesterdays post and you'll see more suggestions).
Aside from that, I also love Disco Volante very much (the one I love most of all their  releases).  

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2007 at 23:06
Originally posted by Young Young wrote:

Originally posted by avestin avestin wrote:

I agree with this.
And also he can try the other Patton or Spruance bands like Secret Chiefs 3 and Fantomas and Tomahawk and the likes.

The question is do you want to open up to this sort of music or do you simply want to say you tried it, knowing in advance you will dislike it? This has not much to do with KD.
As Assaf said, dont let this particuar album set your opinion on the whole plethora of avant prog albums and bands.
Maybe you'll like the more "accessible" and humouristic style of Samla, Miriodor, Ensemble Nimbus etc? That is another approach to RIO/Avant (look at the RIO thread to see the genre breakup Assaf mentions in yesterdays post and you'll see more suggestions).
Aside from that, I also love Disco Volante very much (the one I love most of all their  releases).  

Thank you for all the advices... I will follow them. By the way, as you say, it's not that I bought Mr Bungle just to say I tried it knowong I won't like it... I think I may actually like it. With KD was the same, I bought it, didn't like it, but the original intention was to open myself to more kinds of music. With KD, the failure was complete. But I liked, if not 100%, at least 80% GYBE!, so much than today I bought another one. Thank you again for advices.
 Post Reply Post Reply