Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg or ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog or ?
    Posted: March 14 2004 at 22:39

I'm looking for some feedback on whether a particular band is "prog" or not.  The band is The Flaming Lips.  I just heard their album "The Soft Bulletin," and I must admit it has many prog elements and "sensibilities."

Is anyone familiar with more their music, and can tell me whether this album is an "aberration," or whether it is representative of what they do, and, if so, whether they should be considered prog?

Thanks.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 10:15

hey Maani!

The Lips have some really great stuff.  Their last three albums (Zaireeka, Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots) are their "mature" ones, with Zaireeka (their tenth album) being the transition into the sound you hear on Bulletin, which many people would say is their best.  I was surprised to see someone mention the Flaming Lips so I had to respond, basically to let you know that Zaireeka actually is one of my top 10 favorite albums, and if you are open to a weird experience, please check it out.  The music is spread out onto a 4 cd set that all contain different portions of the mix, to be played on 4 separate stereos at the same time!  So you have to be able to get hold of a few spare stereos, and you might need a friend or two to do the sync up procedure.  But the experience is worth it.  The music is experimental and wild (and beautiful), and the sonic effects they achieve with this setup are totally intense.  I would say it is a completely unique album in the history of our favorite music!

Anyway, these guys are hidden gems, and I hope you like them.

Corbet

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2004 at 18:46

Corbet:

Thanks!  The jury is still out with me re TFL.  I really want to like them, but there is something in their approach and method that I find...phony. (Please don't kill me! ).

What I mean is, it seems as though they are trying just a bit too hard to be "progressive," but they don't quite have a complete grip on how to mesh all the prog elements of their music into something fully, truly cohesive and mature.  Again, "The Soft Bulletin" is definitely "growing on me" as I listen to it.  But I can't shake the feeling that something is "off" about their approach and method.

Still, I won't give up on them, and I'll buy at least one more of the albums you note (though not the 4-stereo one; that is just too complicated!).

Thanks for the response, though.  BTW, my younger brother swears by TFL; he thinks they are among the best bands out there right now.  The only reason I might even consider agreeing with him is...almost everything else stinks!

Again, my sincere gratitude.

Peace.

corbet View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 04:07

I won't kill you.  It's already pretty obvious that we come at music from different angles (the Relayer review page cracks me up). 

Regarding the Lips, though, it's not hard to imagine having the response you did -- there is something that could come off as "strained" about their approach, especially if you heard The Soft Bulletin out of the blue without knowing who they are.  They have no roots in prog music; actually they started out (debut 1985) as something of a "psychedelic punk" band, all noise and guitars and LSD references.  Now, in their older age, they have evolved quite radically into the band you heard on Bulletin, something more akin to a modern quasi-prog.  I would have to fully agree with your younger brother that they are certainly among the best bands out there right now, and this is coming from someone who is very stingy with his praise for "modern" music.

I will let you know right off the bat, though, that none of their albums dare get into the "musical boxing ring" with the Heavyweights except for Zaireeka.  Has your brother ever heard it?  If not, and he is a fan, tip him off and he will thank you forever.

Corbet

Post Reply Post Reply