Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closed7 Virgins & A Mule (ELP Tribute),Montreal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: 7 Virgins & A Mule (ELP Tribute),Montreal
    Posted: February 01 2007 at 13:51
The only canadian Tribute Band to the music of  Emerson Lake and Palmer, Seven Virgins and the Mule , will come for the first time in Montreal on Saturday the 31 of march at La Place à Coté Club , on 4571 rue Papineau. So, all ELP fans around Montreal Region, why don't we meet all the gang there around 9 p.m. for some beers and listen to the music of ELP playing live?

For more information, you can go here:

A review with pictures will be post after the show.

Sylvie

C'est la vie
Prog.Sylvie View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2007 at 10:27
I think that the tickets are on sale now for that show. I hope that some of you on the board will be there. If you are coming, let me know in advance.  
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:09
Kevin from Seven Virgin and The Mule send me the set list for this show. It would be a two hour show, including the long ones like Take a Pebble and Tarkus. So for all ELP lovers in the region, come and see the show on the 31 st of march at la Place à Côté.

C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2007 at 11:03
 Seven Virgins and A Mules ( Kevin, Steve and Jamie)blew us away last night with their two hours and a half performance of ELP's music.  

It was a great performance who aloud the audience to enter into ELP's world and music. They played 22 ELP's songs, two from each album from the first to Black Moon.  All this began with the original Fanfare for the Common Man in the back ground while they projected ELP pictures on a screen.  

Frankly, they delivered much more that we have been expected at first. They did not hesitate to play the longer and difficult pieces like Tarkus, Endless Enigma, Take a Pebble. They combined these demanding songs with lighter ones like The Sherrif, and Benny The Bouncer. At the end, while nobody was expecting it, they played "Picture at an Exhibition" for the encore. Great finish, and the audience was blown away and very happy. Cheesy

While Greg Lake Band is playing  ELP on a more adult contempory sound, and while Carl Palmer Band is playing ELP with the guitar with an heavy metal sound, Seven Virgin is sounding like the original ELP, with the keyboards (3) and with the great musicianship between the guys. It's back to the basis as it was in the seventies.  

They want to sound like ELP and they really succeed on that and there is more. They add their own touch of playing and the singer ( Jamie) sings on a more emotive way compares to Greg ( reach the higher notes, and less baryton). They skipp the intensive distorsion sound and the knives : we don't need it anymore, and it does not add something to the music.

Steve is really good on the keyboards. He knows all the notes, all the pieces, all of ELP world and ambiance and he likes it very much. Smiley

Our Mugs ( Kevin) gave a great drum solo on Tanks ; he is fast and with precision. He received two standing ovations for his drum solo.  Cool Smiley

The singer, who was not a bass player before entering into this band, showed us that it was possible to play bass and sing in the same time, but it's a lot of work and a lot demanding according to him. He likes it very much, and like I said, he puts more emotions in the songs than the original singer. (IMHO).  

We saw on the screen ELP covers while the Band was playing. We also had theater during Tarkus with the Manticore, Tarkus, the Dome who were running around the place at the right time( papier maché muppets). The audience was smiling and they liked this little theater play who illustrated Tarkus adventures.

After the show, I had some pictures taken with the guys, and Kevin made me sit on his drummer seat. I played some drum and some gong too. Grin

Before the show, we brought the band to eat at a nice Italian restaurant in front of the venue. We had nice time there. We also met Kevin's wife and his tall and nice sixteen years old son.  

It was a great evening. I will have some pictures later.

Sylvie      

C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:32

Steve on keyboards and Jamie on bass and singing.
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:33

Kevin Mulligan on drums.
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:35

Me at the drum and the guys behind. 
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:35

The gong.
C'est la vie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:37
meet any PA'rs there?.... we had fun meeting Mandrakeroot and Andrea Cortese  at Le Orme's show last week.

I got to see Aldo Tagliapietra.... of course Andrea told him that I came all the way from Washington D.C. to see them LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:37

My traditionnal picture with the drummer. Big%20smile  
C'est la vie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:38
hahahhaha... you look like a natural Sylvie Clap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:40
Sorry, I did not meet PA members.  There is a good chance that some were there. It was a good audience, an audience who knows ELP and likes a lot their music. They were amazed by this performance. They were listening to it note by note... very impressive.    
C'est la vie
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:41
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thanks Micky. I am not a drummer at all but I felt good behind it, and I played a little. Maybe I should try more.
C'est la vie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:48
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Thanks Micky. I am not a drummer at all but I felt good behind it, and I played a little. Maybe I should try more.

thats the spirit hahhahah.. I stink at them... no coordination with my big ol' feet.. but fun to work off stress with.  Love doing Moon impersonations actually hahahha. Especially tossing floor toms around LOL. Haven't  tried the exploding drummer routine yet though Angry

Edited by micky - April 02 2007 at 08:49
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:53
I have coordination in life in general, sports, karate, dancing... so it should be an help for playing. When I spoke to Carl Palmer last year, we made a connection between sports and playing drums ( like swording and drumming...).Carl practice swording when he get the time. He even won a bronze medal on European championship a couple of years ago. ( for men over 50...)Big%20smile  
C'est la vie
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2007 at 08:56
Originally posted by Prog.Sylvie Prog.Sylvie wrote:

I have coordination in life in general, sports, karate, dancing... so it should be an help for playing. When I spoke to Carl Palmer last year, we made a connection between sports and playing drums ( like swording and drumming...).Carl practice swording when he get the time. He even won a bronze medal on European championship a couple of years ago. ( for men over 50...)Big%20smile  

I had heard that... I had to admit to being quite envious that you met him.  As *living* drummers go... he is the closest thing to a idol I have.  A fabulous drummer.... and musician which I think is sadly overlooked.
 Post Reply Post Reply