Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush fans rejoice!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush fans rejoice!!!
    Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:06
While on my lunch hour I spoke with a guy who knows Alex and Geddy pretty well. In talking with Alex last week he said, "we've just made the album of our careers." This guy I know said that as long as he's known Alex, he's never said anything like that or tooted their horn like this.

I also asked about synths and Geddy told him that they're there for 'window dressing'. He did say that there will be mellotron on this disc, however.

Now, I'm REALLY excited about this new disc.

E

iTunes: "Echoes" from Camel's Breathless

Edited by E-Dub - February 06 2007 at 16:53
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:07
*much rejoicing over here*

Big%20smile
Floydian42 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:10
HugAnother Love to add to my Collection!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:11
I was pretty shocked by the mellotron comment. This guy I know is a sound guy (had some interesting tidbits to say about Kansas when he toured with them) and has been around for a long time. Really nice guy who lost his wife to breast cancer a few years ago. When Rush came to KC on the R30 tour, Alex set up a table off to the side of the stage and he and his wife watched the show from there.

Says Neil is a nice guy, but is a lot harder to get close to, but always maintained a close relationship with Geddy and Alex.

Strap yourself in because I have a feeling this new Rush album is going to be a monster.

E
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:11
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

While on my lunch hour I spoke with a guy who knows Alex and Geddy pretty well. In talking with Alex last week he said, "we've just made the album of our careers." This guy I know said that as long as he's known Alex, he's never said anything like that or tooted their horn like this.

I also asked about synths and Geddy told him that their there for 'window dressing'. He did say that there will be mellotron on this disc, however.

E

I've also heard tell that the new album will hearken back to their earlier Hemispheres-era sound...

I realized the last time I saw them live, about two years ago, is that their older material was more dynamic. Their newer stuff seemed to stay at the same level from the beginning to the end of the song, whereas the older stuff went from soft to hard and in between, sometimes dramatically...I hope they've rediscovered that aspect of their music!
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by jplanet jplanet wrote:

I also asked about synths and Geddy told him that their there for 'window dressing'. He did say that there will be mellotron on this disc, however.

E

I've also heard tell that the new album will hearken back to their earlier Hemispheres-era sound...I realized the last time I saw them live, about two years ago, is that their older material was more dynamic. Their newer stuff seemed to stay at the same level from the beginning to the end of the song, whereas the older stuff went from soft to hard and in between, sometimes dramatically...I hope they've rediscovered that aspect of their music!

From what I understand, this new producer is a younger guy, but loved Rush from the time of around AFTK and Hemispheres. He said it's the same guy whose produced the Foo Fighters. That worried me at first, but Peter Collins produced Air Supply at one time, and look what he did with Power Windows.

E
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:16

E

I've also heard tell that the new album will hearken back to their earlier Hemispheres-era sound...I realized the last time I saw them live, about two years ago, is that their older material was more dynamic. Their newer stuff seemed to stay at the same level from the beginning to the end of the song, whereas the older stuff went from soft to hard and in between, sometimes dramatically...I hope they've rediscovered that aspect of their music!

From what I understand, this new producer is a younger guy, but loved Rush from the time of around AFTK and Hemispheres. He said it's the same guy whose produced the Foo Fighters. That worried me at first, but Peter Collins produced Air Supply at one time, and look what he did with Power Windows.

E

I love Power Windows. In fact I gave it 5 stars in a review. My longest review.

Back on topic:

If it is going to be like Hemispheres I will be so happy that I will have a constant happiness glowing about me! It sounds like the production is going to be really good. And mellotrons! ShockedTongueClap

Edited by progismylife - February 06 2007 at 16:17
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:29
Originally posted by progismylife progismylife wrote:

E

E
I love Power Windows. In fact I gave it 5 stars in a review. My longest review.Back on topic:If it is going to be like Hemispheres I will be so happy that I will have a constant happiness glowing about me! It sounds like the production is going to be really good. And mellotrons! ShockedTongueClap

Power Windows is a favorite of mine, too. Nice blend of synths on that one.

E
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:49
Thanks for the news E,i think the only time RUSH used mellotron was when Hugh Syme used it on "Tears" on the 2112 album.I really think the band realizes that prog is becoming popular again and are going back to their roots sort of speak.Yeah i'm getting more excited now.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:54
Excuse me while I mop up. Shocked
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:54
I
just
can't
wait
... Big%20smile

Did you notify Erik Neuteboom about the Mellotron? LOL
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:55
Originally posted by sinkadotentree sinkadotentree wrote:

Thanks for the news E,i think the only time RUSH used mellotron was when Hugh Syme used it on "Tears" on the 2112 album.I really think the band realizes that prog is becoming popular again and are going back to their roots sort of speak.Yeah i'm getting more excited now.

That and the new Porcupine Tree are tops on my list. I love it that there are only about 5 songs, but the disc clocks in at a little over an hour. PT is going to hammer us with the epics.

E
bluetailfly View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:57

. In talking with Alex last week he said, "we've just made the album of our careers." This guy I know said that as long as he's known Alex, he's never said anything like that or tooted their horn like this. "

If I'm not mistaken, I think he also said this after making "Presto."  Wink
"The red polygon's only desire / is to get to the blue triangle."
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 16:59
Well, you've proven there are going to be naysayers with everything. I'm taking this a bit more to heart because it's a conversation between two friends and not to the media. Just reporting what the man told me.

E
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 17:01
That's a great story.  I was already starting to get excited, but this news gets me into a higher gear.  Lots of great prog coming out in 2007!  Clap
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 17:03
Originally posted by NaturalScience NaturalScience wrote:

That's a great story.  I was already starting to get excited, but this news gets me into a higher gear.  Lots of great prog coming out in 2007!  Clap

Not to mention most of it is being released in the first third of the year. April is going to be a spectacular month (I get birthday money, and so many great albums get released).Approve
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 17:05
I might actually buy this Cd.

Ok...I will.
heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 17:31
one last 10+minute sci fi epic, pleeeeaaaaaase? Smile

erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 18:08
I heard through the grapevine that the Rush members were so pleased with my 'Mellotron special' on the symphonic prog appreciation thread and my thread about 'Rush as a biggie' that they wanted to do something back for a Rush die-hard fan since 1977 Wink ! So we can expect a return of the wonderful violon-Mellotron waves in the melancholical ballad Tears Wink 

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 06 2007 at 18:11
Tony R View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 18:15
Is it April 1st already?

Mellotrons?????

I have my new hat standing by waiting to be eaten....Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>