28 [71.79%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.56%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 22:23
I eat meat.  I personally disagree with veganism and vegetarianism, I think meat is important for a healthy diet.  But if it's for a religious reason, I respect that.  
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 23:19
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2007 at 23:21
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

admin edit:  bad boy!!

awwwwwEmbarrassedLOL
Australian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 00:02

Not to offend anyone but I’ve been brought up by to main cultures, both of which completely support the consumption of animal products. The concept of being a vegan just seems absurd to me.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 00:06

Veganism is not absurd at all, but I wouldn't change a juicy steak for a bunch of vegetables, give me meat.

Iván

Norbert View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 14:24

If I am offered some meat dishwith good intention I don't refuse it, because I don't want to offend the given person but if I have a wider variety to choose I avoid them. Buddha and his followers had a similar practice they only refused meat when the animal was slaughtered for them.

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 14:48
One of my good friends (an old colleague) is a vegan.  Unlike the girls described by the thread originator, he never made any issue of it at all, never criticized the rest of us non-vegans, or anything like that.  The only thing you ever noticed was that when he was at lunch with the group, he didn't eat any meat.  His good attitude helped when picking a lunch place as we would be sure to go somewhere that could accomodate his dietary needs.  Someone who's a vegan and a jerk about it would just never get invited to lunch.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 14:59

I relate an interesting story i heard some years ago regarding the vegan diet -

an obscure Amazon tribe were found to be living exclusively on vegetation and cereals, but appeared perfectly healthy and fit in every way. Scientists could not figure out how they managed this, as vitamin B1 found in meat  is an essential part of everyone's diet, but the mystery was solved when they found their grain store was inhabited by mice, and traces of B1 were found in mouse droppings mixed up in the grain Dead

this story proves no-one can lead a totally vegan diet without some form of supplements found in meat! Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 15:03
I am not a vegetarian (or vegan) and I can never be, because of the foods I've eaten. Cow brain tacos anyone? Cow tongue sandwich? Or how about some good ole curdled pig's blood soup?

I enjoy eating meat and don't get disgusted about what I am eating. I do eat salads a lot and enjoy fruit but meat is my main food source.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 15:24
In my first work, the owner was a vert rich member of the Jewish community, his favorite food was pig cheeks. LOL

Iván

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 16:21
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

I eat meat.  I personally disagree with veganism and vegetarianism, I think meat is important for a healthy diet.  But if it's for a religious reason, I respect that.  

So religious people don't need to eat healthy? Wink
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 16:43
Wow...today the vegan girls tried to tell me that milk is bad for you in every way because it includes pus. "Pus is nasty" they say "and therefore milk is bad"

Somehow now it includes no viatmins or minerals. They've all managed to disappear.

Oh, but there IS some pus. Ew...pus.

Milk is bad because there's pus in it. Nasty pus. And no viatmins.

What f**king idiots. I swear.

Also I forgot to mention--one of my very best friends is vegan...at first she was very quiet about it, but lately she's been getting rather vocal about it, and saying a few vegan catch phrases including

"Everyone in the world should be vegan"

"I feel so much better and smarter as a vegan."

Very pretentious and "holier-than-thou" comments and it's disturbing me. Pissing me off actually.

Oh, and by the way, after checking up on the little vegan bitch at school I found that milk--as proven time and time again is actually good for you. Who woulda thunk it?
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 16:48
It's fun pissing them off in return... like printing out that picture in my first post, putting "real men eat meat" under it and handing out copies at school... another time I brought a pack of beef jerky and ate it all lunch in front of a vegan kid 
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 16:52
I used to eat a lot of meat, but not any more. I am not vegan, as I still eat dairy. Some day I may go totally vegan.

I stopped eating meat as my compassion for other living beings grew. First It was just land animals, then I gave up seafood. As much as I would like more people to do the same, I never criticize.

There are some misconceptions. You don't need meat for a healthy diet. I have never been healthier in my life. Eating plants is not the same as killing an animal. First of all, they have no brains. Second, they are harvested at their ripeness. In other words, just before they die. If a cow wasn't slaughtered, it would live past 30 years.

Remember this is not preaching, just clearing up a couple of facts.
blaughida View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 17:40
I'm a vegetarian, and a weird one (I voted "vegetarian with no interest in becoming vegan").  I don't eat meat because I absolutely hate it.  It grosses me out, the smell, texture, and taste more than the fact that it came from a living animal, so as soon as my parents stopped making me eat it, around the age of eleven, I became vegetarian.  I have no interest in becoming a vegan because I enjoy dairy products.  There is no or very little moral component in my vegetarianism, but I do respect people who do it for this reason (on a side note, I often don't like their food, because I didn't "give up" meat and have no interest in fake burgers; I just want the salad).

The vegans I know I didn't know were vegan until it came up in conversation, but then they are not in high school.  I do remember going to "Vegetarian Club" in high school, which was supposed to be a place to share recipes, and instead feeling like I shouldn't be there because I was one of the few people who drank milk and milk was evil...this club did not last very long.  As with anything, there is a line between trying to nicely convince people of something you passionately believe in (which includes leaving them alone if they're clearly not interested) and being obnoxious.
Figglesnout View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 19:28
Originally posted by The Miracle The Miracle wrote:

It's fun pissing them off in return... like printing out that picture in my first post, putting "real men eat meat" under it and handing out copies at school... another time I brought a pack of beef jerky and ate it all lunch in front of a vegan kid 

yes actually, the article about milk was by some guy at harvard, so i found about four articles that said milk was good for you--one of them by a dude at harvard, printed them out and gave them to her. She got very angry. (I got the articles during class--it was in photography, we have access to computers the entire class).
I'm a reasonable man, get off my case
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2007 at 21:52
I hate veganism and vegetarianism. 
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 08:08
Originally posted by video vertigo video vertigo wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

What is a vegan? Not the same as vegetarian? EmbarrassedCry

A vegan doesn't eat anything animal related, no meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese and anything else that has anything to do with animals.

Another word for it is vegetalian.

this kind of dumb behaviour usually has for effect that they auto-eliminate from the face of the earth. As humans vegetilianism is not viable for more than a few years, before encountering health complications.

Non-adapting life form become extinct. Survival of the fittest. May sound extreme, but not quite as extremes as vegans.

I eat meat, but can go a few days without it, though.

Pus , however!!! PinchShockedUuuh!!!! Milk products, I mean.... LOL

Edited by Sean Trane - February 08 2007 at 08:15
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 08:16
In the words of comedian Ron White, "I did not climb to the top of the food chain to eat carrots!"

I love marinating a nice t-bone overnight with a nice spice rub and getting those lovely cross hatched grill marks just right. It's prettier than a Monet!

E
Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2007 at 08:16
Originally posted by darkmatter darkmatter wrote:

How can it be more respectful for a religion than for a moral reason?Confused

My Mother-in-law is a vegan, I happily cook for her and enjoy doing so, the rest of us all eat meat in the family now, but both my kids were about 5 or so before we fed them meat.

Ma-in-law is VERY healthy, she is fit, and mentally VERY alert!!! and she is almost 80 and had 30 odd years of veganism behind her.

She is sensible and thoughtful about what she eats.........
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>