FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater "Systematic Chaos" details

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:17
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

looking forward to that 25 minute epic. also, is the continuation of the AA series continuing with this album?

most likely, it is! looking very forward to it!(I'm one of the few(?) people that actually seem to enjoy TGP)
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 11:19
Man, Portnoy should just let it go. Sleepy
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 13:45
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Man, Portnoy should just let it go. Sleepy

AngryAngryAngryAngry                             AngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngryAngry
Angry             Angry                                             Angry
Angry               Angry                                           Angry
Angry               Angry                                           Angry
Angry              Angry                                            Angry
AngryAngryAngryAngry                                              Angry
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 13:46
I don't like the AA songs. They should go away.
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 14:02

The AA songs are bloody great you n00b Wink

what step is Portnoy on, btw.. lyricwise, I mean
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 14:05
Systematic Chaos should be good (I like the title).  I'm sure Dream Theater will continue to put out good albums.  I really enjoyed Octavarium, and Train of Thought was also good (despite how long it took me to like it).  The 25-minute epic should be great!

By the way, I think The Glass Prison is an awesome song.  That song got me into liking Dream Theater.  DT helped me discover Porcupine Tree, and then got me into progressive rock.  So yes, I really like The Glass Prison!   
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 14:14
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

I was going to say, "let the Bashing begin" but it
appears that was unnecessary.  And let's throw some Rush bashing
in also.  Two for the price of one.  Just what we need.Dead

Saying I don't like the name of the album isn't bashing. I believe
bashing would be like, the only thing that sucks more than that name is
the music.

I wouldn't say it's bashing, either; but, I would chalk this up to nit picking.

I guess I'm a visual person, so I want to see what the package design is going to be. The same goes for the new Rush disc. Snakes And Arrows may sound a bit askew on the surface, but let's see what Mr. Syme puts together. I spoke with him on Thursday about a project that he may be working on of ours and he said that everything is coming around nicely. He sounded very proud of it.

E

It's just me not liking the title. I'll wait until I hear it to comment on the music.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 14:56

Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I was going to say, "let the Bashing begin" but it
appears that was unnecessary.  And let's throw some Rush bashing
in also.  Two for the price of one.  Just what we need.Dead

Saying I don't like the name of the album isn't bashing. I believe
bashing would be like, the only thing that sucks more than that name is
the music.

I wouldn't say it's bashing, either; but, I would chalk this up to nit picking.

I guess I'm a visual person, so I want to see what the package design is going to be. The same goes for the new Rush disc. Snakes And Arrows may sound a bit askew on the surface, but let's see what Mr. Syme puts together. I spoke with him on Thursday about a project that he may be working on of ours and he said that everything is coming around nicely. He sounded very proud of it.

E

It's just me not liking the title. I'll wait until I hear it to comment on the music.

I agree completely. Bashing would be "the title sucks but the music sucks more" , or even worse, without hearing it, "the title sucks but I'm sure the music will be a disaster". But if we stay only with the first part, "the title sucks", I don't see any problem. And you know what? For me, the title sucks. Big%20smile
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 18:44
If you are so shallow as worry about the album title, why should I take your views on anything else seriouslyConfused.  What exactly is wrong with the title?  If you could come up with a name for a Dream Theater album, what would it be? 

I am not a fanboy and I am not defending DT.  It just boggles my mind some of the things that people in this world take seriously or dismiss out of hand with no forethought. You are bashing.  These guys don't take naming an album lightly.  They want to move units.  But you are indicting them as being failures in the creative process of naming an album.  They thought of a name, you think the name sucks.  So their ability to name an album sucks, so they must suck.  A+B=C.  Both of you could obviously do much better and should be recruited as the sixth member of the band in the "Album Naming Department."  Maybe you could play tambourines or triangle as well.  They obviously need the help.
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 20:54
^
No that's just you assuming that I've drawn those conclusions. I'm just saying I don't like the title. It sounds very stereotypical of a technical metal band to me. I don't see how worrying about an album title is shallow. The title is a sort of important aspect of the album.

If they wish to recruit me for tambourine/album namer I will gladly accept their offer.

One more time let me clarify some terms here:

I don't like it <  Differing tastes
It sucks < Bashing
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Xeroth View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 22:33
I love Opeth, but the Trivium part is what scares me.  And Portnoy's continuation shouldn't drop, I loved the other songs.  I'm excited, scared, but I've loved all of DT's albums and no matter what they've done they've never disapionted me.  Systematic Chaos is kind of a stereotypical title I'd have to agree, but so is Awake, and that's one of their best albums.  
I once was cool, but now I'm cold. Can you please turn up the heat.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2007 at 22:56

If you are so shallow as worry about the album title, why should I take your views on anything else seriouslyConfusedIt's not that I'm "worried" about the album title... I just don't like it!!! "Worried" would be if I was shaking nervously afraid that the album will suck only because of the title... Do I have to like whatever the world throws at me?Confused What exactly is wrong with the title? I don't like it. It sounds too simple and formulaic. OCTAVARIUM was better, man, FALLING INTO INFINITY was better.... SYSTEMATIC CHAOS it's not great.  If you could come up with a name for a Dream Theater album, what would it be?  "The DT-Guide to Album-naming Etiquette part I: Oxymoron's for moron's" Big%20smile

I am not a fanboy and I am not defending DT.  It just boggles my mind some of the things that people in this world take seriously or dismiss out of hand with no forethought. Oh No, you're wrong! I thought about it! You are bashing. No we are not.  These guys don't take naming an album lightly.  Maybe they do. MAybe they don't. I don't like it. They want to move units.  But you are indicting them as being failures in the creative process of naming an album. I'm not indicting anything! I'm just saying, in my book, the name sucks!! Why I'm so misunderstood, whyCry  They thought of a name, you think the name sucks.  Yes I do. So their ability to name an album sucks, so they must suck.  A+B=C.  No, no, no. There's no connection whatsoever between the ability to name things and the ability to create good musicConfusedBoth of you could obviously do much better and should be recruited as the sixth member of the band in the "Album Naming Department."  If you send them my resume, I won't complain. Big%20smileMaybe you could play tambourines or triangle as well.  As I play drums, I won't say I could replace Mike, please, but the triangle and tambourines I'd play them just fine. They obviously need the help. All they have to do is ask.Big%20smile 
johnobvious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 10:17
Do I have to like whatever the world throws at me?

No you don't. But it would be nice if you got some perspective.  The world is in the crapper on so many levels that I would hope that the name of an album would be far down the list of things that got you all riled up.  If you have a beef with the music after investing your money, then let the world know.  But this is all a little childish.

I've said my peace and am done with this thread.

Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
Baza View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:10

I'don't believe that these old geezers (the youngest of them will turn 40 this year) can make a masterpiece.

But it can still be a good album.
Space Dimentia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 16:10
Being released by Roadrunner dosen't always mean being signed to them, Psychtoic Waltz never had a real proper record label yet there albums were released on a big label.
Im just abit disapointed with DT, I thought they would have gone to somewhere abit more, well civilised. I love some of the bands on Roadrunner but I just can't see them fitting into the same bill as Cradle of Filth, Trivium, Slipknot, Dragonforce etc, the only band they would fit in with are Opeth and even then Opeth are advertised by RR as a death metal band.
Prog/Progressive/Prog-metal is still a dirty word in the wider musical world especially at places like Roadrunner, it just doesn't feel right and something will (i fear) will go wrong.
Prog is music for the mind
Hear your Orphaned child!
Check out my bands myspace site: www.myspace.com/equinox17
MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 18:39
Originally posted by Baza Baza wrote:

I'don't believe that these old geezers (the youngest of them will turn 40 this year) can make a masterpiece. (Pic)

ConfusedThat's pretty immature, judging a band by the age of its members, don't you think?

By the way people, the album was written BEFORE they signed with Roadrunner, so I don't think the heaviness of the label with have anything to do with the album.

Plus DT are known not to take influence from labels after Falling into Infinity.
I'm sure the band will do whatever they want because their albums are self-produced and would never get themselves into a Record Company situation that forced them into taking a particular musical path.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 01:12

I'don't believe that these old geezers (the youngest of them will turn 40 this year) can make a masterpiece.

It's strange too think they're all that old now. I'm too young to be used to seeing bands grow old.
Baza View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 05:05
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

I'don't believe that these old geezers (the youngest of them will turn 40 this year) can make a masterpiece. (Pic)

ConfusedThat's pretty immature, judging a band by the age of its members, don't you think?

Well, usually the artists peak at their (early) 20's, but there are exceptions.

Edited by Baza - February 13 2007 at 05:05
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:40

Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

Well, usually the artists peak at their (early) 20's, but there are exceptions.

This is prog were talking about, I dont know of many bands that are in their 20's here.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:52
^ most classic prog bands released their best albums when their members were in their 20s - I guess that's what he means.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>