Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMarek Grechuta

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Marek Grechuta
    Posted: February 12 2007 at 08:29
Ok, to fulfill mysticfred's wish ("Tuzvihar, keep posting those Polish bands") I'd like to present another Polish artist for you to consider.
Marek Grechuta, who died in October last year, is considered one of the greatest artists that was born in Poland. Most of his career wasn't in the prog field rather poetic song as we call this genre of music. Lyrics were the most important thing for him (he sung poems of many Polish poets as well as his own). But he had a flirt with prog music in early 70s on  two or three  albums. Below is what Gibraltar Encyclopedia says about him:
Originally posted by Pawel Annonim, <a href=http://www.gepr.net/ target=_blank>New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock</a> Pawel Annonim, New Gibraltar Encyclopedia of Progressive Rock wrote:

Grechuta, Marek [Poland]
Updated 1/10/03
Discography
The first albums from 1969-90 were all released on LP. Re-released on CD as shown
Grechuta & Anawa (69)
Korowód (71, re-released on CD 1991)
Droga za widnokres (73, re-released on CD 1991 & 1993)
Magia Obloków Pronit (74)
Supraphon (74)[Supraphon may be the record label, not the album title, in which case the album is simply Grechuta & Anawa]
Szalona Lokomotywa (76)
Piesni do slów Tadeusza (80)
Spiewajace Obrazy (81)
W Malinowym Chrusniaku (81)
Wiosna, Ach To Ty (86)
Krajobraz Pelen Nadziei (88, re-released on CD 1991)
Ocalic od Zapomnienia (90, re-released on CD 1991)
From here on, these are CD releases
Zlote Przeboje (90)
Dziesiec Waznych Slów (93)
Jeszcze Pozyjemy (94)
Zlote Przeboje 2 (98)
Zlota Kolekcja (99)
Serce (01)
Piosenki Dla Dzieci I Rodziców (01)

Reviews
Marek Grechuta

Marek Grechuta is one of the most appreciated artists on a Polish music scene. He worked out so good reputation among music journalists and critics that nobody dares to criticize him. I think that Grechuta fully deserves regard which is given to him. He is a very talented and versatile artist - he writes music and lyrics, sings and paints. And all what he do is up to scratch. His music is an unusual, magic prog rock with a jazz influence (violin and piano improvisations) and poetical aura. Grechuta is so unique that it's hard to find similar artists. Generally I recommend him to all jazz-rock fans, from Frank Zappa through Mahavishnu Orchestra to Soft Machine.

I must warn you against choosing a bad album to start with Grechuta. There is a strong DANGER of such mistake in case of this artist, because some of his albums are dominated by poetry not music (so knowledge of Polish is needed). If we reject mentioned albums, only three essential records remains. I mean Korowod, Magia Oblokow and Droga za widnokres. All of them are great but in my opinion Magia Oblokow is the best - most jazzy and most powerful. -- Pawel Annonim

I've got Magia Oblokow and Droga za widnokres and I like them very much. My versions (Pomaton 2001) contain a lot of bonus material with extended live versions of some of his songs (like Korowód e.g.) which are fullblown prog.

Edited by Tuzvihar - February 12 2007 at 18:33
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2007 at 12:06
I really think he deserves a place here. Either jazzrock or artrock.
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 07:47
Maybe artrock would be the most appropriate place for him. His music's got some jazzy elements but it's more than just that. It's soulful and poetic.

Charles Bukowski
Visitor13 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:04
Only heard Korowód, wonderful album, and yes - file under artrock.

mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2007 at 04:29
Bartek could you send me some mp3's? sound interesting Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
 Post Reply Post Reply