FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Officiaul Unofficial Syd Barrett Thread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Officiaul Unofficial Syd Barrett Thread
    Posted: February 13 2007 at 03:55
Because we need a Syd Barrett thread, because Syd needs the love.

I own only the album Barrett, but I've become convinved that Syd Barrett was great. Maybe not a genius, but certainly great. And certifiedly insane.

Who's with me?
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
aprusso View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 08:19
I'M WITH YOU. When I was fifteen, in 1983, I went to Cambridge for a student exchange (that as the time I saw Twelfth Night live, without even knowing them...). Me and my friend Piergiorgio (who later OD'd with heroin and now is happily married), were going around all the worst pubs of the town, checking for the oddest guys there, and then timidly ask: excuse me, are you Syd Barrett? We never found him. BUT we consoled having frequent breakfasts at Grantchester Meadows.....
Flyingsod View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 10:38
Well, thanks for the thread. It made me pull out my one Syd disc. It's some bbc recording from 1970 on the John Peel show. Just 5 tunes. Terrapin, Gigolo Aunt, Baby Lemonade, Effervescing Elephant, and Two of a Kind. Are those from the Album you have? As I age I become less and less enamored with that British Psych pop sound. I definatly can't call it genius or even great. Just my opinion of course but I can only call it good to ok.

Btw, your sig gives me alternating emotions. I look at it and lmao then it really creeps me out. Then I laugh again and get creeped out.

This space intentionally left blank

lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 15:28
Syd does need the love. He is the perfect example of the thin line between genius and insanity. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever find out his full musical potential, but he still left us with PATGOD, Barrett, and The Madcap Laughs. For those, I will be ever grateful.

His story seems sort of Hendrix-like to me. Musical genius and heavy drug user exhausts himself releasing a few spectacular albums then slips farther into his problems and never returns.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 17:58

Love him. Can't get enough of him. He's my hero. Made the greatest album ever. I pretty much wish I had an altar for him.

stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:04
Good, unique artist. Piper is brilliant, Madcap slightly less so. I have nothing else.

He was not a genius, just a very unique artist.
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:06

Well all I can say is that I learned everything I know about playing guitar from Syd.

Once he died, I promised myself that I wouldnt speak about him again because it forces up too many painful things. He was a hero to me, and I hope everyone understands that I really can't talk about him.
Beauty will save the world.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:12

When Syd died I saw his face in the clouds the night it happened. My friend, also a big Syd fan also saw him. We were not high or anything like that. It was as if he was looking down from the astral world at his fans, bidding us farewell.

What a beautiful person.

What a tragedy that he died a recluse.

Edited by The Wizard - February 13 2007 at 18:13
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:12
Many people think Syd his problems were only due to drugs abuse but in fact he was suffering from schizophrenia (already before taking drugs), that caused his mounting troubles with being a successfull rock musician who had to cope with pressure, expectations and discovering his own identity, I recommend the book Lost In The Woods to discover more about Syd Barrett and his troubled innerworld Thumbs%20Up

Edited by erik neuteboom - February 13 2007 at 18:14
lightbulb_son View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 18:38
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

Many people think Syd his problems were only due to drugs abuse but in fact he was suffering from schizophrenia (already before taking drugs), that caused his mounting troubles with being a successfull rock musician who had to cope with pressure, expectations and discovering his own identity, I recommend the book Lost In The Woods to discover more about Syd Barrett and his troubled innerworld Thumbs%20Up

He was schizophrenic?

I knew he already had mental problems that the acid only speeded up and encouraged, but I didn't know he was schizophrenic, that's interesting. I'm not at all blaming drugs, which I think are, in large part, responsible for his excellent lyrics.
When the world is sick
Can't no one be well
But I dreamt we were all
beautiful and strong

Jeams Pfirp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2007 at 22:20
Originally posted by lightbulb_son lightbulb_son wrote:

Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

He was schizophrenic?

I knew he already had mental problems that the acid only speeded up and encouraged, but I didn't know he was schizophrenic, that's interesting. I'm not at all blaming drugs, which I think are, in large part, responsible for his excellent lyrics.

I knew that of him. Strange, huh?
The Whistler View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2007 at 03:10
Originally posted by Flyingsod Flyingsod wrote:

Well, thanks for the thread. It made me pull out my one Syd disc. It's some bbc recording from 1970 on the John Peel show. Just 5 tunes. Terrapin, Gigolo Aunt, Baby Lemonade, Effervescing Elephant, and Two of a Kind. Are those from the Album you have? As I age I become less and less enamored with that British Psych pop sound. I definatly can't call it genius or even great. Just my opinion of course but I can only call it good to ok.

Btw, your sig gives me alternating emotions. I look at it and lmao then it really creeps me out. Then I laugh again and get creeped out.

My album is his second solo, Barrett. It's got Gigolo Aunt, Bably Lemonade and Effervescing Elephant, and in all honestly, that's a pretty good representation of the record. As good a representation as can be made of a Syd Barrett album with three songs.

Heh. Sorry I changed the sig then.
"There seem to be quite a large percentage of young American boys out there tonight. A long way from home, eh? Well so are we... Gotta stick together." -I. Anderson
 Post Reply Post Reply