Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThree Legions of Fusion with pictures!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Three Legions of Fusion with pictures!
    Posted: February 21 2007 at 22:02
I think this is the last time I'm going to see these three musicians. To me, they are three  of the most important and most influenced musicians of all time. Checkout if you can ID them then I'll give you my feedback on a front row concert I went.

Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2007 at 21:50
Well, that's Stanley Clarke and Jean-Luc Ponty in the first two pictures. And, by the looks of that banjo he's holding, the third guy should be Bela Fleck. I know Jean-Luc and Clarke have been playing together again lately (independent of the older collaboration with Al di Meola), but I doubt Fleck was with them. If you've seen them live, give some details. I for one have never had the chance to.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
almc2242 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 05:30
Yep, it's JLP (The BEST progressive Jazz/Fusion violinist of all times with all respects to jerry Goorman) with the legendary Stanley Clarek. also Bela Fleck.. After the show everyone was invited for some cocktails at an exclusive restaurant, oh yea, $100.00 a pop. Of course I asked the million dollar question. Will the Original RTF ever record again? The lineup I was referring to was Lenny White on Drums, Al De Meola on guitar or Bill Conner, Chick Corea on piano and yourself on bass. Stanley answered as follow. "It's kind of difficult since RTF dissolves so many years ago. Each has gone our separate ways. But you never know, next question.

To me, their is something else, and I don't think it's money. In my opinion, I guess their was a bitter relationship among the members of RTF at the end. I have their collection including the last recording in LP and CD. These are classics of fusion Jazz and a must have for any serious collection. Next time I see Chick Corea, that might be this summer. I'll ask him the question again. To see his point of view.

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=iedbkALN_pM&num=10&start=0

Edited by almc2242 - February 25 2007 at 05:36
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 13:50
Well, I saw di Meola live a few months ago and I have to say he has such a wonderful band and they seem to have so much fun playing together that I wouldn't see the point in him engaging in reviving past glories. He's been doing a lot of different things lately, ranging from orchestral works to pop/r'n'b recordings with various musicians... Moreover, his new album is great and it features Chick Corea on a few tracks - this is perfectly fine with me and I don't think there's any need to reform RtF. Corea has been pretty active lately as well, I don't know much about Clarke though. Anyway, the idea is they all seem to be doing fine and making wonderful music, constantly exploring possibilities. RtF was one phase among many.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
almc2242 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 21:35
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Well, I saw di Meola live a few months ago and I have to say he has such a wonderful band and they seem to have so much fun playing together that I wouldn't see the point in him engaging in reviving past glories. He's been doing a lot of different things lately, ranging from orchestral works to pop/r'n'b recordings with various musicians... Moreover, his new album is great and it features Chick Corea on a few tracks - this is perfectly fine with me and I don't think there's any need to reform RtF. Corea has been pretty active lately as well, I don't know much about Clarke though. Anyway, the idea is they all seem to be doing fine and making wonderful music, constantly exploring possibilities. RtF was one phase among many.

True, but imagine the thrill that it would be to see them together again. Playing some of the classics. A CD would be a lot to ask. But hay, like you said, they are all doing quite well why bother.
 Post Reply Post Reply