Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedvinyl records

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: what is your thoughts about vinyl records ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
20 [22.73%]
40 [45.45%]
28 [31.82%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 20:22
Originally posted by Zappa88 Zappa88 wrote:

Originally posted by BroSpence BroSpence wrote:

I have a slight preference to vinyl, but I do love my Cds. 

I prefer my LPs because they are so beautfiul. haha...well they're big and the art work is so nice to look at usually.  The sound of a record has a personal characteristic that all the digital forms are missing.  The sound captures me, it is warm and cozy, I love the cracks and pops that may effect some vinyls more than others, and there's nothing like the anticipation of waiting to get home to listen to a specific album or record that is a favorite or just hasn't quite hit the ears yet.   There's also the wonderful  time that can be spent staring at all the albums in a record store.  I don't want to spend hours online looking at albums on Itunes, I want to spend a whole day at a record store.  I don't really care about carrying my collection with me because I have my car which plays Cds quite nicely, computers and stereos seem to be near by everywhere, or I'm working or in class and shouldn't be worrying about those things.

With CDs they cleaned everything up.  Everything became crystal clear which is good in some cases, but in others (especially with a bad producer and bad engieer) the sound becomes flat and dull.  The album doesn't come to life.  However, with the good recordings on CD it allows for a very full sound that could easily knock one's ears off.  I'm thinking specifically with drums and bass tracks that are mixed so well they could be in the room or car with you (as could the other instruments, but I tend to listen closely to bass and drums first).   This quality can  be had on  LPs too, but there is still a differenece.  The liner notes became slightly more extensive with CDs than with LPs which I like a lot because I want to know who did what on an album.  I also like to hear stories behind the album (which is why the Rhino releases of the Elvis Costello recording are so awesome.  Costello wrote the notes and they are about 5-6 pages in length).

This Ipod/Itunes age sucks. 

The case with Itunes is that I feel like everything that was so interesting and wonderful about the previous recording medias is gone.  I could pay 5-9 bucks for an album on itunes, where I will have whatever number of recordings on my computer (which I could later burn onto a cheap CD-R) and some .jpeg images, or I could pay between $3-$20 for a new or used  vinyl or CD.  I'll take the vinyl/Cd.    Itunes also bothers me because it tends to promote the downloading of individual songs instead of entire albums, and with this kind of promotion I feel the art of making an album will die (or at least suffer greatly).  The record companies are worried about their business failing because people are illegally downloading albums, but I believe they could help fix the problem by putting out and scouting for artists that are actually good at what they do, instead of putting out another clone of a previous terrible pop star, or new or used.

I was furious to find that Itunes offers the Starsailor album by Tim Buckley.  Not only is it "out of print", the only copies around cost over $150.  If it is available on Itunes why not rerelease it on CD!

They have that on Itunes?
Holy hell!

Yeah friggin Itunes has that and Rag a Ryggen.
oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 20:33
"However, with the good recordings on CD it allows for a very full sound that could easily knock one's ears off. I'm thinking specifically with drums and bass tracks that are mixed so well they could be in the room or car with you (as could the other instruments, but I tend to listen closely to bass and drums first). "

No, actually, Cds are over bumped to compensate numeric thinness and to do some (false) how on Mr Everybody bad system. But since you have real good system with a real good Cd setup, you realize that numeric is very bad, compared to analog.
Pablo_P View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 14:58
Once I borrowed a gramophone and some old vinyls (SBB "SBB 1", Mike Oldfield "Platinum" etc) but that gramophone was old, quite exploited and I didn't use it for too long (It died... )
I am about to buy a new one, I recently have seen some great vinyls but I have no device to listen them...
Pablo P.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 22:44
I love vinyl for the artwork and the way they feel, but I am generally annoyed by all the pops and clicks that emerge from even new records, so I do most of my listening on cd.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 16:49
Vinyl LP's are definitely not obsolete, in fact they are enjoying something of a renaissance at the moment - just look at the prices they are going for on ebay, and London west end record retailers are clearing more space for vinyl racks!

Only the other day my local hifi dealer told me they are selling more record decks than cd players at the moment, their front window is full of them. People are beginning to realise with the right quality playback system good quality vinyl albums can sound far superior to their digital counterparts -  vinyl is the new rock'n'roll!Wink

i'm just glad i didn't dump hundreds of my rare lp's when everyone else was doing this in the 80's and 90's and going digital, though i have many cd's and add to them frequently, vinyl still rules!

Prog Archives Tour Van
Arsillus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 17:07
I love vinyls and CDs about the same. I finally got a killer stereo system and turntable set up at home earlier last year, so I'm having a lot of fun with that. The only reason I get CDs more is because the music is more portable, allowing me to burn it on my computer and put it on my mp3 player - something I can't do with vinyls. But it's always fun to hear the crackle of the vinyl with a great album! 
progadicto View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 21:44
CD's and vynils... THer are some masterpieces from the 70's and 80's that you have to own in vynil...
... E N E L B U N K E R...
explodingjosh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 02:16
I voted for the middle option. I love my cds and vinyl records pretty equally.

One thing that worries me about having a big cd collection is cd rot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD_Rot

So, to sort of "immortalize" my favorite recordings (Foxtrot, ItCotCK, Meddle), I'll spend a little bit of money on a vinyl version in VVVVVG+ condition, and basically treat it like it's holy when handling.LOL

But vinyl definitely makes the experience of buying old music less expensive.
T.Rox View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:04

The first post on this for a while ... BUMP! LOL

I voted in the middle.

I have just rediscovered my vinyl and have bought 10 albums in the last few weeks. I was kind of snookered into it to get a copy of MacKenzie Theory's 'Bon Voyage' album. Then I had a hunt for a new stylus (I can't find my spare I had since I have moved house).

My kids are amazed with the turntable and the pre-amplified sound coming from the grooves of the LP's as they spin.

And the LP sound just has that edge over CD's ... more texture. I'm lovin' it Approve

"Without prog, life would be a mistake."

...with apologies to Friedrich Nietzsche
paolo.beenees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2007 at 11:16
I prefer CDs (I don't think my ears are so sensitive to catch all of those subtle differences in the bass frequencies): they last a lifetime, do not "fry", they do not cause any distortion near che centre of the disc (as vinyl records do... and this is clearly audible also by my ears).
Nevertheless I miss old vinyl record covers (gatefold, in particular) and the past honesty of record labels (prices were widely fairer then!)
Philip View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2007 at 11:20
I like both the same.
But this question depends highly on the record we're talking about, because, for example, if we're talking about "days of future passed", i truly prefer my vinyl copy.
Firstly, It's rare in Portugal. Secondly, it is a lot better than all cd remasters of the album that were made later.
Okocha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2008 at 09:49
LPs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123