Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDissection of animals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Do you agree with the "farming" of animals for dissection?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [37.93%]
18 [62.07%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 02:04
Then leave it for the interested and those are Vet students, sadistic school kids are not interested, unless they want to learn where is more lethal to stab their partners.

You disappoint me Ivan. I thought better of you.
A real life experience can change the course of a students career. For the untrained to "get down and dirty" for the first time can be a life altering event.
The realization of the ability to cope and be interested in the common workings of living things is a high and enlightened educational road.
Sometimes youth need to introduced to their gifts through life experience. Not models and images.
Sympathy for all living things is a human moral. A valuable moral.
Education is a human need. Education requires knowledge, and the tools to learn.
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 06:44
I voted no. I agree with Ivan's statements. No need to kill animal if one's never going to make use of the knowledge one acquires. 
kazansky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 07:18
i'd like to say that animal dissection for science and medical purposes is a necessary evil.

i agree that being a medical student doesn't mean that you have to do animal dissection, unless you would become a surgeon, or other position that really needs you to have such knowledges.

sometimes we have to sacrifice something in order to gain other thing(s), that's just the way of the world. however, these sacrifices shouldn't be misused, for example, by slaughtering lots and lots of animals when such a thing isn't really a necessary thing to do. The key to this issue, i think is not to overdone it.
The devil we blame our atrocities on is really just each one of us.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 12:30
Originally posted by Witchwoodhermit Witchwoodhermit wrote:

You disappoint me Ivan. I thought better of you.

Why? Because I try to respect every form of life when it's not strictly necessary to put an end to it?

I was answered with very similar arguments when I wote an article against bullfighting, a guy wrote that how a person who claims to love the art dares to write against a traditional form of art in Perú, that it was part of our culture.

Yeah, as the Circus was part of the Roman culture. Confused

A real life experience can change the course of a students career. For the untrained to "get down and dirty" for the first time can be a life altering event.

Killing an animal won't help 99.99% of the stuidents, by the contrary it will kill the sensibility of a lot of them.

I had to kill several frogs and it has no purpose in my life, it taugh me nothing, I learned nothing and I find it repulsive.

BTW: Yes it's a life altering event, it alters the life of the animal or nore clearly puts an end to it.

The realization of the ability to cope and be interested in the common workings of living things is a high and enlightened educational road.

This is not a common working of living, kiloing animals is not necessary for high school students, they won't learn anything except to kill.

Sometimes youth need to introduced to their gifts through life experience. Not models and images.

Gifts? Isn't life in any of it's forms the most precious gift?

Sympathy for all living things is a human moral. A valuable moral.
Education is a human need. Education requires knowledge, and the tools to learn.

A Vet student has to kill animals toi learn to heal them, a school student doesn't need to kill animals because he's not going to heal anybody in lets say 90'% of the cases.

And the other 10% will have the chance to do it when they have the previous trainning to make it without cruelty and has a purpose to learn, not just see how is the interior of an animal.

I believe that USA students will find more useful to learn that Bolivia is in South America and not in Africa, that Kingston is the capital of Jamaica or to teach the high percentage of almost iliterate stufdents how to read than to kill frogs.

Quote Neglecting students’ literacy has serious economic consequences for individuals and states. Today, almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, and almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. Deficits in basic skills cost the nation’s businesses, universities, and under-prepared high school graduates as much as $16 billion annually in lost productivity and remedial costs.”6

Only 31 percent of eighth graders and 34 percent of twelfth graders meet the National Assessment of Educational Progress standard of reading “proficiency” for their grade level. (National Assessment of Educational Progress, 2002) http://www.carnegie.org/literacy/why.html

If this happens in USA, imagine how terrible it is in third world countries? It's scary, but children everywhere know how to kill a frog, because frogs are cheaper than books.

I believe reading is more important than killing animals.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 25 2007 at 13:06

Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 13:28
^^^That's more like it.
ClapWink
Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 09:24
Animals have no rights, or rather should have no rights. The only law forbidding mistreatment of animals should stem from ownership issues like damaging someone else's property.  I'm all for dissection of animals.

Ivan: We can easily teach them both where Bolivia is and what the inside of a frog looks like. They're two different classes. So you don't have to worry about one interfering with the other.

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - February 26 2007 at 09:27
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
xenuwantsyou View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 12:14
I'm about start a cat dissection in my Bio II class in my high school.  I know not all the students in the class will grow up to be vets or doctors, but I also know that I and a handful of others took the class because we enjoy learning about science.  To make the statement that we're all just a bunch of clumsy teenagers with no scientific motives being taught by a hack teacher is just ignorant. 
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 12:20
When my mother was going through nursing school she had to skin a cat and dissect a pig. It was part of the program to give them necessary skills for the potential jobs they might have taken. My mother didn't like it and so she stayed away from surgery and went into Labor and Delivery.

It is not useless it teaches you skills you could use without practicing on a human, unless you want people to practice surgery methods on people instead of animals like frogs and cats.
Jeams Pfirp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 21:24
I voted no.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 22:06
It's nessessary.  People getting an education have a right to know what their insides look like. There aren't enough human cadavers to go around, and books are no replacement for actual dissection, so animal dissection is the only option.

Besides, would you want to be operated on by a surgeon who had little experience outside of reading a few textbooks?

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 22:10
In Medical schools they don't kill people for research. They use the cadavers of people who have already died. Why can't they do the same with animals?

As far as the high schools are concerned, it is totally ridiculous. We had to do fetal pigs when I was a sophomore. I can't think of one valuable thing that was actually learned by that. All I remember is the horrific smell of the formaldehyde.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 22:13
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

In Medical schools they don't kill people for research. They use the cadavers of people who have already died. Why can't they do the same with animals?

Because they are killed before they have died naturally and used for food. 

Passionist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 22:39
I voted no. I never looked into myself, but I can assure you, I have a very good image of what my insides look like. I don't have a problem guessing if it hurts in my liver or my lungs or whatever inside there. we never open frogs, or guinea pigs, or cats for that matter in Finland, and I don't see a reason to start. You say people need to cut an animal to get interested. Well, in that case they should make people build houses and boats to get them interested in that, they should make everyone design a nuclear reactor and build one so they'd find their interest in it and become professionals in the future.

The whole thought is absurd. Are we really lacking vetenarians? No. How many of them cut a frog in school? None. And please note, that even though *surgeons* do explore the wonders of a dead body, a doctor is taught by another, whereas a vet could be taught by others, and they do often follow cases, where an other doctor or a vet proceeds with a treatment to a patient na d they learn.

Personally I would never cut a frog, should we come to that. We once cut fish in our class. Those were some our teacher had caught the other day, and brought them to school. We opened them, looked at them, removed the guts, and he took them home and made dinner. So instead of opening them himself he brought them to us to let us learn something, but he didn't grow them for the purpose. And besides I've cut a fish hundreds of times, I need to know where everything is to not spoil the food part. Though this I learned because I was told how it happened, not by killing 12 fish wrongly.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 22:47
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Because they are killed before they have died naturally and used for food. 

That's a whole other issue.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 23:50
Originally posted by Equality 7-2521 Equality 7-2521 wrote:

Ivan: We can easily teach them both where Bolivia is and what the inside of a frog looks like. They're two different classes. So you don't have to worry about one interfering with the other.

The problem is that:
  1. Less than 20% knows or cares where is Bolivia.
  2. 5% of USA citizens are absolutely illiterate
  3. Only 34% of the graduates of high school have the minimum (Not excelent, not good, not average) basic reading skills. This means 66% of USA High School graduates have severe limitations,
    • 13 percent of America's 17-year-olds are "functionally illiterate."
    • 34% have severe limitations that will make them almost unable to find a job
    • 19% of the students will need remedies, but 33% of the ones who reach college will also need remedies, this is crazy, they reach College but have to read John Jean and Judy LOL
  4. 100% of USA students have opened a frog, a hamster and now a cat, probably stolen from a family and approximately only 1350 students graduate as Doctors in Veterinary every year in all USA while .1'679,000 high school kids graduate anually, less than 1 per 1,000 will maybe require this experience, and remember, surely less because kids kill animals during several grades.

A surgeon may need to open an animal, a Vet surely needs it, but it's stupid, unnecessary or criminal to let a unskilled student massacre a living being.

I believe the priorities are in a wrong place.

Now about animal rights, only a person without any sensibility can say animals don't have rights except if economically valuablem, 100 years people from different races didn't had rights probably in 50 years people will see us as insensitive beasts for killing animals.

Iván 

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 27 2007 at 00:26

heyitsthatguy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2007 at 23:58
f**k, why don't we cut up people instead, I think about half my school body would qualify already as "wastes", why not put them to educational (and entertaining) use? 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 00:56
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

The problem is that:
  1. Less than 20% knows or cares where is Bolivia.
  2. 5% of USA citizens are absolutely illiterate
  3. Only 34% of the graduates of high school have the minimum (Not excelent, not good, not average) basic reading skills. This means 66% of USA High School graduates have severe limitations,
    • 13 percent of America's 17-year-olds are "functionally illiterate."
    • 34% have severe limitations that will make them almost unable to find a job
    • 19% of the students will need remedies, but 33% of the ones who reach college will also need remedies, this is crazy, they reach College but have to read John Jean and Judy LOL
  4. 100% of USA students have opened a frog, a hamster and now a cat, probably stolen from a family and approximately only 1350 students graduate as Doctors in Veterinary every year in all USA while .1'679,000 high school kids graduate anually, less than 1 per 1,000 will maybe require this experience, and remember, surely less because kids kill animals during several grades.

A surgeon may need to open an animal, a Vet surely needs it, but it's stupid, unnecessary or criminal to let a unskilled student massacre a living being.

I believe the priorities are in a wrong place.

Now about animal rights, only a person without any sensibility can say animals don't have rights except if economically valuablem, 100 years people from different races didn't had rights probably in 50 years people will see us as insensitive beasts for killing animals.

Iván 

There's a big difference between animals and people. No amount of time will change that. Saying 100 years ago, blacks didn't have the same rights as whites is completely different. There lies a distinction in that blacks and whites are not different. However, frogs and humans are very different. Are you a vegetarian Ivan?

Where did you get your numbers? The US literacy rate  99% from the CIA world factbook (Could have swore it was 99.7% though). 100% of US students have not dissected an animal, I can speak from personal experience. 4 people in my high school's bio class chose not to dissect. Also, what does caring where Bolivia is have to do with anything? I would love to see that poll. I personally don't care where Bolivia is (although I know) and I think a rudimentary knowledge of anatomy is far more important than knowing where Bolivia is. Hands on experience with an important scientific foundation vs. knowing where to put an inconsequential country with an GDP of 8 billion on a map. I think the dissection wins.

If we give animals rights, I see no reason to not ban soup and disinfectants. They're killing helpless creatures. Humans are such bullies.

And why did this thread turn into a let's bash how stupid US citizens are thread?

Edited by Equality 7-2521 - February 27 2007 at 00:57
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 02:29

There's a big difference between animals and people. No amount of time will change that. Saying 100 years ago, blacks didn't have the same rights as whites is completely different. There lies a distinction in that blacks and whites are not different. However, frogs and humans are very different. Are you a vegetarian Ivan?

In first place, I'm not comparing humans with animals, I'm just pointing that human values evolve with time, there are ONG's and Governments (Including USA) investing billions in preserving species,m do you want Frogs to be almost exttinnct and flies invading your homes (Frogs eat flies, just in case you didn't knew) to invest millions in preserving the ecological chain?

BTW; The vegetarian issue is absolutely ridiculous, I'm talking about KILLING WITHOUT PURPOSE, feeding is a valid purpose, the consequences of creating a 100% vegetarian society would be catastrophic as one of the Baldies pointed very clearly on another thread.

Where did you get your numbers? The US literacy rate  99% from the CIA world factbook (Could have swore it was 99.7% though). 100% of US students have not dissected an animal, I can speak from personal experience. 4 people in my high school's bio class chose not to dissect. Also, what does caring where Bolivia is have to do with anything? I would love to see that poll. I personally don't care where Bolivia is (although I know) and I think a rudimentary knowledge of anatomy is far more important than knowing where Bolivia is. Hands on experience with an important scientific foundation vs. knowing where to put an inconsequential country with an GDP of 8 billion on a map. I think the dissection wins.

Seems you have troubles if you believe CIA, they were the ones who talked about the Weapoms of Massive Destruction.

My numbers as usual are supported

Quote The Illiterate Digest has always saltued Illiteracy and now has compiled a list of the most illiterate cities in the United States. We're doing much better than our European brethren, since 23 million American adults are functionally illiterate and 13% of all American 17-years-olds are functionally illiterate. http://www.ahalenia.com/id/id11/illiterati.html  

Seems I stayed short,.the numbers are even scarier.

Not only 13% of the 17 years old kids are functionally illiterate but also 7.63% of the total USA popuilation is also functionally illiterate, this means THEY CAN'T WRITE OR READ.

If you doubt of just one source:

Quote Neglecting students’ literacy has serious economic consequences for individuals and states. Today, almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, and almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. Deficits in basic skills cost the nation’s businesses, universities, and under-prepared high school graduates as much as $16 billion annually in lost productivity and remedial costs.”6

Only 31 percent of eighth graders and 34 percent of twelfth graders meet the National Assessment of Educational Progress standard of reading “proficiency” for their grade level. (National Assessment of Educational Progress, 2002) http://www.carnegie.org/literacy/why.html

Again I stayed short:

1.- Almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, (They will know how to open a frog but won't be able to get a job)

2.- Almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. (The exact 33.33% I mentioned previously reached university but have to take basic reading....How did they reached College withoiut being proficiebt in reading?.....God knows)

3.- Only 31 percent of eighth graders and 34 percent of twelfth graders meet the National Assessment of Educational Progress standard of reading “proficiency" (Again, I stayed short, less than 1/3 of USA students reach the average skills required for their age)

If still you don't trust in that data, read this:

Quote National Association of State Boards of Education

According to the NGA report, Reading to Achieve: A Governor’s Guide to Adolescent Literacy, ”today, almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, and almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. Deficits in basic skills cost the nation’s businesses, universities, and underprepared high school graduates as much as $16 billion annually in lost productivity and remedial costs." The report suggests governors pursue five strategies to improve adolescent literacy achievement: http://www.nacctep.org/PolicyBriefs/V2_2005/vol2i9/index.htm

You want more data?

Quote The second report, Reading at Risk: The State Response to the Crisis in Adolescent Literacy, suggests that that approximately 70 percent of adolescents struggle to read.

7 out of each 10 adolescents have problems reading...Scary?

But according to other sources is even scarier:

Quote Only one-third of high school students take a high school curriculum that prepares them ... almost 50% of those that do enroll in college need remediation; ...
www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pafblueprint.doc

5 out of 10 students who reach Coillege require remediation...wow....but they know hoiw to skin  a ca, maybe they can get a job as taxidermists.

You want even more:

Quote Of those who enter high school, only about 70 percent will graduate--—one of the lowest rates among industrialized nations (Greene & Winters, 2006). As important, however, is the fact that, of those who do receive a diploma, only half are academically prepared for postsecondary education (Greene & Winters, 2005).

Wonderful only 7 out of 10 students will graduate from High School and only 3.5 are ready for postsecondary Education (This includes not only universities but also technical education), Do you still believe in CIA factbook?

I'm sure you don't care where Bolivia is, except if your country have to bomb them. LOL But probably you should know where one of the countries that provide USA with more cooper and silver is located, but of course we're only Bananna Republic, so Who cares?

Incredible arrogance as an excuse for ignorance and lack of sensibility, you value a country and human beings in base of the Gross Domestic Product, KKK members would be proud of you (Probnably those who are illiterate and base human life according to race and ethnic origin while they spit water melon seeds)..

Last but not least, your 4 fellow students who probably got a big red F are not statistically significant, even if they refused, the subject is mandatory, so it's correct to say that all students except those with moral principles who probably failled, have dissected some animal with no purpose. 

If we give animals rights, I see no reason to not ban soup and disinfectants. They're killing helpless creatures. Humans are such bullies.

Well, will answer this even when I believe it should be logic. (BTW I guess you're talking about soap, because soup doesn't kill germs in your body unless you want to boil yourself in a kettle with chicken, potatoes and vegetables Wink but I doubt the FDA will approve this method).

The germs don't have central nervous system so there's no pain, no suffering, no intelligence, but that's secondary.....And I didn't required of disecting germs to learn that, a book was enough, but well, I didn't required remediation.

BTW II: Soup is a great idea for frogs,. they say they taste like chicken and at least then we will have a purpose for killing them. LOL

Germs are plagues dangerous for human life, if you have to choose between ANY animal and a human being you have always to choose the human being, that's kindergarten logic, it's more evident in the case of a plague or a germ.

You have to kill locusts to save the harvest, because human life and basic needs are first, but it's required a litlle bit of logic to get it.

And why did this thread turn into a let's bash how stupid US citizens are thread?

I clearly said: If this happens in USA, I can't imagine what happens in the third world (From which I'm part), but seems you didn't read my previous posts because I'm sure you don't need remediation. Wink

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 27 2007 at 12:29

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 12:23
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

In first place, I'm not comparing humans with animals, I'm just pointing that human values evolve with time, there are ONG's and Governments (Including USA) investing billions in preserving species,m do you want Frogs to be almost exttinnct and flies invading your homes (Frogs eat flies, just in case you didn't knew) to invest millions in preserving the ecological chain?

There's a very large difference between not wanting frogs to go extinct, and giving them rights. Dissections won't decimate the frog population, we could raise all the frogs we use in dissections.

BTW; The vegetarian issue is absolutely ridiculous, I'm talking about KILLING WITHOUT PURPOSE, feeding is a valid purpose, the consequences of creating a 100% vegetarian society would be catastrophic as one of the Baldies pointed very clearly on another thread.

There's is a purpose though. THey're a valuable learning tool, and I know that you know the importance of education having taken such extensive schooling yourself.

Seems you have troubles if you believe CIA, they were the ones who talked about the Weapoms of Massive Destruction.

Yes I trust the second best intelligence agency in the world. The whole world was fooled on the WMDs. That doesn't rule CIA statistical data wrong.

My numbers as usual are supported

Quote The Illiterate Digest has always saltued Illiteracy and now has compiled a list of the most illiterate cities in the United States. We're doing much better than our European brethren, since 23 million American adults are functionally illiterate and 13% of all American 17-years-olds are functionally illiterate. http://www.ahalenia.com/id/id11/illiterati.html [/quote]

Seems I stayed short,.

Not only 13% of the 17 years old kids are functionally illiterate but also 7.63% of the total USA popuilation is also functionally illiterate, this means THEY CAN'T WRITE OR READ.

If you doubt of just one source:

Again I stayed short:

1.- Almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, (They will know how to open a frog but won't be able to get a job)

2.- Almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. (The exact 33.33% I mentioned previously reached university but have to take basic reading....How did they reached College withoiut being proficiebt in reading?.....God knows)

3.- Only 31 percent of eighth graders and 34 percent of twelfth graders meet the National Assessment of Educational Progress standard of reading “proficiency" (Again, I stayed short, less than 1/3 of USA students reach the average skills required for their age)

If still you don't trust in that data, read this:

Quote National Association of State Boards of Education

According to the NGA report, Reading to Achieve: A Governor’s Guide to Adolescent Literacy, ”today, almost 40 percent of high school graduates lack the reading and writing skills that employers seek, and almost a third of high school graduates who enroll in college require remediation. Deficits in basic skills cost the nation’s businesses, universities, and underprepared high school graduates as much as $16 billion annually in lost productivity and remedial costs." The report suggests governors pursue five strategies to improve adolescent literacy achievement: http://www.nacctep.org/PolicyBriefs/V2_2005/vol2i9/index.htm

You want more data?

Quote The second report, Reading at Risk: The State Response to the Crisis in Adolescent Literacy, suggests that that approximately 70 percent of adolescents struggle to read.

7 out of each 10 adolescents have problems reading...Scary?

But according to other sources is even scarier:

Quote Only one-third of high school students take a high school curriculum that prepares them ... almost 50% of those that do enroll in college need remediation; ...
www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ovae/pafblueprint.doc

5 out of 10 students who reach Coillege require remediation...woow....butthey know hoiw to skin  a cat.

You want even more:

[quote]Of those who enter high school, only about 70 percent will graduate--—one of the lowest rates among industrialized nations (Greene & Winters, 2006). As important, however, is the fact that, of those who do receive a diploma, only half are academically prepared for postsecondary education (Greene & Winters, 2005).

Wonderful only 7 out of 10 students will graduate from High School and only 3.5 are ready for Superior Education, Do you still believe in CIA factbook?

I'm sure you don't care where Bolivia is, except if you have to bomb it. LOL But probably you should know where one of the countries that provide USA with more cooper and silver is located, but of course we're only Bananna Republic, so Who cares?

Wonderful arrogance as an excuse for ignorance.

Still not a reason the average Joe should know where it is over anatomy in my opinion.

Last but not least, your 4 fellow students who probably got a big red F are not statistically significant, even if they refused, the subject is mandatory, so it's correct to say that all students except those with moral principles who probably failled, have dissected some animal with no purpose.

Only one of those sources speaks of the actually literacy rate. I'm not doubting your numbers on the poor english abilities of people. But I trust the CIA over some special interest group. Again, the only number I doubted was the actual literacy rate. And the Bolivia numbers.

Also, again these two subjects are seperate so there's room for improvement in english with the dissection. They won't impede on each other territory on a education possibilities curve.

Well, will answer this even when I believe it should be logic. (BTW I guess you're talking about soap, because soup doesn't kill germs in your body unless you want to boil yourself in a kettle with chicken, potatoes and vegetables Wink).

:) Damn that soup haha. Yes soap.

The germs don't have central nervous system so there's no pain, no suffering, no intelligence, but that's secondary.....Hey, I didn't required of disecting germs to learn that, a book was enough, but hey, I didn't required remediation.

BTW II: Soup is a great idea for frogs,. they say they taste like chicken and at least then we will have a purpose killing them. LOL

Germs are plagues dangerous for human life, if you have to choose between ANY animal and a human being you have always to choose the human being, that's kindergarten logic, it's more evident in the case of a plague or a germ.

If you have to kill locusts to save the harvest, you will have to do it, because human life is first, but it's required a litlle bit of logic to get it.

I agree, I was just saying that if frogs get rights when not hurting humans, why not give germs the same rights. The arguement was purposefully ridiculous.

I clearly said: If this happens in USA, I can't imagine what happens in the third world (From which I'm part), but seems you didn't read my previous posts because I'm sure you don't need remediation. Wink

I appologize Ivan, I missed that in your last post, but I did read it. I tend to skim closing as theyre usually just wrap ups or unrelated to posts, I guessed I missed it in skimming.

Iván
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 13:19

There's is a purpose though. THey're a valuable learning tool, and I know that you know the importance of education having taken such extensive schooling yourself.

Only less than 1 per 1000 of the total number of High School  USA students will evergraduate as Vets every year, they will have the chanve to dissect animals when they are in the universirty, why in hell does Lawyers, Doctors (That aren't going to be surgeons), engeneers, Computer experts, car mnechanics, white collar employees, etc need to know how a Frog lloks inside?

Accept it, even the vets won't learn a thing from the butchery they made in school because no teacher has the capacity to reach them surgical texchniques, they will have to learn everything in the university.

Yes I trust the second best intelligence agency in the world. The whole world was fooled on the WMDs. That doesn't rule CIA statistical data wrong.

Well, I don't blame the CIA

December 18, 2006

Powell Again Blames CIA For Fabrications And Lies-By-Omission In U.N. Speech

As much criticism as Colin Powell has received for his Iraq presentation at the UN, it hasn't been anywhere near what he deserves. While they've been little noticed, declassified memos from Powell's own intelligence staff at the State Department conclusively prove Powell was aware much of what he said was false or shaky. (I've previously gone through this in detail here.)

So far Powell has blamed everything on the CIA. He did it again yesterday when questioned outside Face the Nation by Sam Husseini of the Institute for Public Accuracy. Here are the details, along with background and the actual video.

Collin Powell and I believe President Bush blamed them.

In the meanwhile, North Korea is using real  WMD in the border and nobody noticed until it is too late.

I don't doubt CIA has valuable data, but they give the USA citizen what they want to hear, "Americans are the best in every field", something that is not truth in many areas, Japan is wealthier and more advanced technologically for example, the Euro has more value than the dollar, Europe Education system is better.

That's something most agencies won't publicly accept. And that's a mistake USA has the resources to change this situation and grow in every aspect, but as long as officially you don't accept the reality, things won't change.

Still not a reason the average Joe should know where it is over anatomy in my opinion. 
I believe reading is more important, all the sources are reliable and from government agencies, not invented,  the numbers provided by each and every one are consistent..

Anatomy for school students can be learned in books, you won't use corpses with eight graders  because it's useless and will create more traumas than benefits, I believe the case is exact in animals.

Only one of those sources speaks of the actually literacy rate. I'm not doubting your numbers on the poor english abilities of people. But I trust the CIA over some special interest group. Again, the only number I doubted was the actual literacy rate. And the Bolivia numbers.

The numbers of illiteracy are not only provided by reliable offices and the UN wiith no interest, but also by the Colleges who are the ones in charge of providing remediation, so they know the numbers exactly.

You can check in Google hundreeds of sources (Including UN) and all are consistent, even the major universities have referred to this problem and I dont believe they have political interests (Hey, they charge the student parents for the remedies and that's more bucks for them).

How in hell can a student with reading under the average reach College???? Believe me, this is a mad issue.

Also, again these two subjects are seperate so there's room for improvement in english with the dissection. They won't impede on each other territory on a education possibilities curve.

Of course not, but which one is necessary and which one not?

How many USA citizens will need to read?.............100%

How many students will need to know how to dissect?....Less than 1 per 1,000, and they won't learn anyting in school, all the valuable information will be providedin the university. 

:) Damn that soup haha. Yes soap.

I guessed so LOL.

I agree, I was just saying that if frogs get rights when not hurting humans, why not give germs the same rights. The arguement was purposefully ridiculous.

I'm not talking about frog rights specifically, I'm talking about the useless massacre of animals for no valid purpose except a curriculum that has to be changed, it's clear that USA education system is collapsong when only 3 out of 10 students have enough reading and writting skills foior their age, something is going wrong.

Not only dissection, think how many students will ever need advanced mathematics or chemnistry? This should be elective only for those students really interested, wouldn't it be better to teach Spanish that is the fastest growing language in USA? 

I appologize Ivan, I missed that in your last post, but I did read it. I tend to skim closing as theyre usually just wrap ups or unrelated to posts, I guessed I missed it in skimming.

Don't worry but please don't believe I'm anti-USA, by the contrary, read my posts on other threads, I believe the whole world has it's priorities upside down.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - February 27 2007 at 13:24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>