FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedTransferring Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transferring Vinyl
    Posted: February 06 2005 at 02:48

has anyone done this? what software is best?  is there a good site to tell me how to do it?

Aaron

tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 02:54

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3350&a mp;a mp;PN=0&TPN=2

Reed Lover has explained it somewhat, I don't understand it, but scroll down somewhere on the bottom of the page.

Something with a cable to your amp and nero software

Edited by tuxon
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 14:25

Pretty simple.

I use a thing by Creative Labs called a Digital Music LX - this is basically a little external USB soundcard with phono ins and outs

You plug it into the USB port on your computer then plug the phono outs from your hi-fi amplifier or your phono-stage into the ins on the Creative LX and fire up your turntable (you can monitor via headphones on the LX or take a line from the LX's outs back to your amplifier/phono stage)

The software is simple to use and offers you the option of removing all the crackles and pops from the vinyl via a clean-up facility. It also offers a de-noiser to remove hiss but this seems to me to just chop off the high end, so I don't use it. The de-clicker is excellent though.

It also comes with basic soundwave editor software so you can record a whole side of vinyl and then cut and past the various tracks to create track breaks and you can clean up the intros and outros with fades or just be deleting the noise and inserting brief silences.

It is very, very simple and if your tunrtable is up to it then you can achieve really good results. It's a real case of sh** in, sh** out. If you're signal is rubbish, your cartridge destroyed or your vinyl in terrible repair then you'll still hear that. If you have a good set-up and pretty clean vinyl then it's a winner

I'm running a Linn  LP12 via a Musical Fidelity XLPS into my laptop and the results are almost as good as CD in my opinion.

And the good news.... the Creative Labs thing retails for about €60 (maybe $80)

Cheap as chips and very very user friendly.

Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2005 at 16:19

I have no experience of transferring LPs and cassettes to CD, but my brother burnt all his LPs and musicassettes onto CD-R using software called PolderbitS (http://www.polderbits.com/) which he swears by. He tells me it is easy to use and gets rid of all the hiss and crackle.

I've got a CD-R that he burnt for me last year from an old cassette of a now-unobtainable LP that I recorded years ago, and the quality is good (even when converted to an MP3 on my iRiver player). He claims it sounds better than the cassette - which theoretically should not be the case I suppose - but I have to say I agree.

Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 00:02

that creative labs sounds pretty simple, just depends if the 80 bucks is worth it

thanks guys

Aaron

oliverstoned View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 06:32
This is a great mistake to convert analog vynil sound into numeric.
The better is to record your vynil on a good cassette deck, like a Nakamichi 1000zxl(the best in the world)for example...
Moreover, all that passes through a computer is rotten!
Compare an original Cd to the duplicated one, burnt on a computer and you will understand, if you listen it on A REAL GOOD TRANSPARENT SYTEM.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 06:36
Just for the eyes's pleasure...
Simply the best K7 deck in the world:

http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/Nakamichi/ Cassette-Decks-ZX/Nakamichi%201000ZXL.jpg
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 06:39
It seems ther's a pb with the previous url...

Try this one:

http://k-nisi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/1000zxl-h.jpg
billm57 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 09:42
I like to use a program called LP recorder. very cheap..under 20 bucks i belive and it works great..
arcer View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 11:07

Originally posted by oliverstoned oliverstoned wrote:

This is a great mistake to convert analog vynil sound into numeric.
The better is to record your vynil on a good cassette deck, like a Nakamichi 1000zxl(the best in the world)for example...
Moreover, all that passes through a computer is rotten!
Compare an original Cd to the duplicated one, burnt on a computer and you will understand, if you listen it on A REAL GOOD TRANSPARENT SYTEM.

Sorry Oliver... just not a believer in that theory. I've converted lots of vinyl to CD through the computer and it sounds fine and I have a pretty decent system and even if it does, it's just for the convenience of having CDs of the vinyl to listen to in the car and I sincerely don't believe that a Nakamichi deck is better than CD through a good system - the limitations of tape just don't permit it.

Also I don't understand how the transferral of numbers and pure information from one cd to another can impair sound quality - it doesn't make sense to me. maybe i'm wrong but.....

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 11:35
"I sincerely don't believe that a Nakamichi deck is better than CD through a good system - the limitations of tape just don't permit it."

A nakamichi deck like that, with a good k7, recorded from a real good source, is much musical than any CD;
Cause their are very bad inpair harmonics between 20knz to 40khz with numeric sound.
This is one of the causes of numeric harshness of sound.
When you record a CD on a good tapedeck, which bandwith goes to 16khz on a Pionner CTF1000 for example and to 21/22 khz on a Naka1000, there's a filtration of that bandwith up to 22khz and its bad impair harmonics are suppressed.
That's one of the reason why a CD recorded on tape is better than the same Cd...

And the bandwith from 20khz to 40 khz is unuseful to listen to music for humans.

And believe me, a naka1000 playing a good tape, beat 15000€ good cd players easily.
Like a Linn LP12 turntable ruins many expensive Cd players.
That's the same.
But you have to hear it to believe.

That's what i do with my best CD, (exactly the contrary as you):i convert numeric into analog...

"Also I don't understand how the transferral of numbers and pure information from one cd to another can impair sound quality - it doesn't make sense to me. maybe i'm wrong but....."

Yes it's hard to believe at first, but if you were hearing a burnt computer CD and the original one beside on my hifi system, you would hear the difference in 10 seconds.
That's why i use audiophile burner and not burn on my computer.
The technical explanation is that sound (even numeric)is much more complex than a succession of 0 and 1.
Thare are very complex harmonics problem and this not as simple as it seems;

I would conclude by saying that today some very big studio musicians are looking for old 1960 studio tapedeck like some Studer, and they use it to improve their sound!
That proves that there's a reason for that...
Aaron View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 00:34

[QUOTE=oliverstoned]It seems ther's a pb with the previous url...

Try this one:

http://k-nisi.hp.infoseek.co.jp/1000zxl-h.jpg[/QUOTE]

i see a microwave

Aaron

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 13:46
http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/Nakamichi/ Cassette-Decks-ZX/Nakamichi-Cassette-Decks-ZX.htm

here's a good one!

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 13:47

http://my.reset.jp/~inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/Nakamichi/ Cassette-Decks-ZX/Nakamichi-Cassette-Decks-ZX.htm
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 13:48
SORRY IT DOESN'T WORKS

Here's the gold version:

http://www.segundamano.es/fichaI.cfm?id=1239428&categoria_id =12&subcategoria_id=22&orden=precio
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 13:49
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?misccass&1111984747

the "normal" version
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2005 at 16:14

Cause their are very bad inpair harmonics between 20knz to 40khz with numeric sound.
This is one of the causes of numeric harshness of sound.
When you record a CD on a good tapedeck, which bandwith goes to 16khz on a Pionner CTF1000 for example and to 21/22 khz on a Naka1000, there's a filtration of that bandwith up to 22khz and its bad impair harmonics are suppressed.
That's one of the reason why a CD recorded on tape is better than the same Cd...

And the bandwith from 20khz to 40 khz is unuseful to listen to music for humans.

From what I learnt, it's not possible to get frequencies much above 20 kHz on a CD because the whole concept of digital sampling means that the highest frequency preserved in an ADC conversion will be just under half of the sample rate of 44.1 kHz.

edit: I'm having a go with some .wav software to see what happens.

Edited by goose
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 13:07
Hi goose,

it seems that there's some "supersonic noise" on CD from 20 to 40 khz

From audioholics.com:

"As you can see, there is no such thing as "absolute silence", even on a digital rip off the CD. Note, though, that there is a cliff drop at around 22kHz. Note also the rising noise below 1kHz and the "hump" around 20kHz. This is same bit, but as played back by the SCD-XA777ES via the analog outputs:
The Sony played back the "silence" reasonably well. including the rise at the bottom end and the hump around 20kHz.
However, note that additional ultrasonic noise between 20-40kHz has now crept in at around -108dB. "
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 09 2005 at 16:59

What I still fail to properly understand is that if the 0s and 1s remain unaltered, how the audio data can possibly change.

If noise has "crept in", it MUST have been introduced as binary data via an alien mechanism: Computers don't store information any other way - they don't "understand" sound.

Granted that different readers interpret the data in different ways, due to the algorithms the implanted firmware uses to translate it - but I would not think it possible that data stored within a file could be changed unless the file has been opened and modified.

Sound, as far as a computer is concerned, IS merely a succession of 1s and 0s. It cannot be any other way - that is how computers work. It is how the higher level software and hardware interprets or modifies those bits that alters the sound.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/analog-digital3.htm

Unless someone knows different - linkage, anyone?

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2005 at 05:37

Hi goose,

it seems that there's some "supersonic noise" on CD from 20 to 40 khz

From audioholics.com:

"As you can see, there is no such thing as "absolute silence", even on a digital rip off the CD. Note, though, that there is a cliff drop at around 22kHz. Note also the rising noise below 1kHz and the "hump" around 20kHz. This is same bit, but as played back by the SCD-XA777ES via the analog outputs:
The Sony played back the "silence" reasonably well. including the rise at the bottom end and the hump around 20kHz.
However, note that additional ultrasonic noise between 20-40kHz has now crept in at around -108dB. "

OK, I don't know enough to disagree. Maybe someone should invent a filter/processer to connect between the CD player and the amp to remove anything over 22k...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>