Topic ClosedTransferring Vinyl

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 12:31

Originally posted by cobb cobb wrote:

The only way to get an exact copy is to perform a CD copy. Why do you copy them as wav's to your hard drive when roxio will do a cd to cd copy?

I can edit the waveform after that. I do this transcribing only when I wan't to do A compillation CD for my car. It's nicer to fade the beginnings and the endings of tracks from a concept album, where the music runs continuously from beginning to end. I also may amplify some of the tracks, to have more balanced volumelevel on the CD-R.

So wav is a compressed format also, with some data lost or altered from the original?

Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 12:36
Originally posted by goose goose wrote:

It is a digital copy, but it misses about 200 samples from the beginning and end of the CD. When there are 44,100 samples a second that's not a very big deal, but it's still not perfect. Converting to .wav isn't rerecording the sound at all, it retains all the data and just represents it in a different way - it's just as perfect as a CD copy, assuming all the data has been ripped correctly in the first place.

It's not?  Hip!

When I examine the waveforms I have ripped (with 44,100), I sometimes have noticed a microscopic gap at the beginning and the end of the track. That's annoying, 'cause one can hear it very clearly when a track changes, in a serie of tracks with continuing music. I also correct those manually with Cool Edit Pro.
cobb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2005 at 21:58
Originally posted by Eetu Pellonpää Eetu Pellonpää wrote:

I can edit the waveform after that. I do this transcribing only when I wan't to do A compillation CD for my car. It's nicer to fade the beginnings and the endings of tracks from a concept album, where the music runs continuously from beginning to end. I also may amplify some of the tracks, to have more balanced volumelevel on the CD-R.

So wav is a compressed format also, with some data lost or altered from the original?

In this circumstance - carrying on regardless. Audio perfection is only for audiophile perfectionists anyway. We don't all have million dollar audio equipment that can show up these differences. The music will still sound great even if you convert an MP3 with a high sampling rate and burn it as a wav. The easiest way to think of wav is that if you copy a song from a CD onto your hard drive (just a straight folder to folder copy - no media application involved) it will get a wav extension so that windows knows it is an audio file. No compression in a wav, but may have lost bits as pointed out- not too sure on this though (don't know enough about how the ISO works compared to hard drive allocation). The no compression can be easily demonstrated by copying an MP3 to audio on a CD- the 3MB MP3 will be blown out to 30MB audio file

Edited by cobb
Eetu Pellonpaa View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 03:35
Thanks!
goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2005 at 07:06
Not all compression means a loss of sound though. Also you can fit more music on an audio CD than you can if you burn .wavs as data on it, I forget why now, although I believe it's something to do with error corrections.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2005 at 03:48
You could always include a stand alone CD recorder in your hi-fi setup - personally, I use a Phillips CDR760 & have always had good results.

Sorry - not technical I know just my own humble opinion...

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2005 at 07:57

I just hooked up my Phillips CD recorder to my stereo to duplicate the vinyls and it works correctly. I do not use special filters. I do have special digital cables when recording Cds, though , but for analog (Vinyls) recordings they are the good old quality cables I always had!

I am happy with the results and it does not fade away as taping vinyls on cassettes , however good the brand (Maxxell XL II-s) was my fave until I switched to Cd-Rs.

The sound difference is noticeable : on some compilations I make, there are Cd track and then Vinyl tracks and there are scratches and pops but who cares.... nothing shocking

I do not trust computers in transferring analog to digital or even digital to digital! Many copies of cd-Rs from friends have problems playing in most decks. I never have the problem as I use the Hi-fi option.

let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123