14 [22.95%]
9 [14.75%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fish Marillion vs Hogarts Marillion
    Posted: February 25 2007 at 13:41
wich of these marillions times do you think was the best? or both were at the same level?

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 13:45
I did a poll like this when I first joined and it wasn't close. Still, Hogarth's Marillion is the incarnation that I prefer. Besides, without Hogarth, we wouldn't have the masterpiece Brave, which is far and away better than anything from the Fish era.

E
Modrigue View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 13:45

I prefer Fish's Marillion

I love all their 4 albums
orr2112 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:00
Hogarth is good, but Fish is the greatest since Hammill and Gabriel, though he was very influenced by both
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:02
Fish, with a very large margin.
The Miracle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:13
I prefer Fish but Hogath era has its moments as well.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:19
I love H's voice but find Fish and his barking style grating on the ear. I also prefer the material of the later period. I guess a lot of how someone will view the band is from the perspective of which version they encountered first and, for me, it wasn't until "Brave" that I first heard Marillion.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:27
I actually first remember the "Kayleigh" video on MTV, and "Incommunicado" from FM radio here in the states. Good stuff, but never really invested until a friend sent me a copy of Six Of One, Half Dozen Of The Other. It completely blew me away, and mostly due to the Hogarth stuff. "Easter" was the song that really sealed it for me. That song is pure bliss.

E
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 14:28
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

I did a poll like this when I first joined and it wasn't close. Still, Hogarth's Marillion is the incarnation that I prefer. Besides, without Hogarth, we wouldn't have the masterpiece Brave, which is far and away better than anything from the Fish era.

E

Whoah buddy. Now I back you up on your love of Hogarth all the time, but better than anything from the Fish Era? You may like it more, but I think you will find a lot of people that will place a couple of Fish era albums way above that. The primary candidate would be "Script for a Jester's Tear." Personally, I place all of the fish era albums above anything with Hogarth.

And Nash, as E said, he did a poll like this a while ago. So did I, and there are many others. This subject has been debated to death. It basically just comes down to personal preference. As you see with E and I, we will never agree on this subject, but we do respect each other's opinion.
CrazyDiamond View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 15:21
I can't choose, but Hogarth's Marillion make music in a more mature way, imo. Thumbs%20Up
Ed_The_Dead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 15:26
H!
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 15:35
Fishy fish fish
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 15:39

It has been very difficult for me to choose here. Up to a month ago, I always said Fish era. And I still prefer his voice to Hogarth's.

But I have played both eras a lot recently and I have to say I think Hogarth's era has the edge at the moment. Albums like Marbles, Afraid Of Sunlight, Anoraknophobia and Season's End just get better with each play.
So, today, I voted for Hogarth's era.
(E-Dub will have fallen off his chair now in disbelief! LOL)

Next week, however, it could all change.
To be fair though, as others have said about Marillion in the past, the two eras sound so different at times, it could be two different bands you are listening to. Shocked

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 15:47

For me no contest, Fish Marillion is To Gabriel Genesis as Hogarth Marillion is to Collns Genesis.

Iván

Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 16:22
Having just recently been aquainted with both periods, I must confess Hogarth's Marillion atract me a lot more than Fish's. They do sound more mature, more serious and more talented. And I kinda dislike Fish's way of singing, I prefer the colder, more low-key Hogarth.

I agree that they sound a bit like different bands, but comparing Hogarth's Marillion with Collins Genesis is borderline malicious insult.

Edited by Kotro - February 25 2007 at 16:25
Bigger on the inside.
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 16:53
Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Having just recently been aquainted with both periods, I must confess Hogarth's Marillion atract me a lot more than Fish's. They do sound more mature, more serious and more talented. And I kinda dislike Fish's way of singing, I prefer the colder, more low-key Hogarth.

I agree that they sound a bit like different bands, but comparing Hogarth's Marillion with Collins Genesis is borderline malicious insult.

Hey, Collins Genesis started with ATOTT and W&W as Hogarth started more adventurous but both IMO started to decline and get closer to mainstream with the pass of the years.

Of course Hogarth never released anything like Illegal Alien or Who Dunitt? but the last Video Clip is simply horrendous IMHO.

Iván

E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 17:05
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

E

Whoah buddy. Now I back you up on your love of Hogarth all the time, but better than anything from the Fish Era? You may like it more, but I think you will find a lot of people that will place a couple of Fish era albums way above that. The primary candidate would be "Script for a Jester's Tear." Personally, I place all of the fish era albums above anything with Hogarth.

And Nash, as E said, he did a poll like this a while ago. So did I, and there are many others. This subject has been debated to death. It basically just comes down to personal preference. As you see with E and I, we will never agree on this subject, but we do respect each other's opinion.

Bhikkhu, the "IMO" should've been implied. Of course my opinion doesn't fly with the majority; but, what would this place be if we all agreed on the same thing?

Additionally, I've made it known that Brave is probably the best CD I own. For me, it's 76 minutes of pessimism, alienation, betrayal, grief, anger, hopelessness, and hope. And the thing is, Brave didn't quite grab me at first. I can't really pinpoint when the light finally went on, but when it did hit me, I knew what I was listening to was something not of this world (No Pendragon pun intended).

Lastly, sometimes Fish seems to be overstating or trying too hard when it comes to emotion (this is just to these ears and not a statement of fact). It simply seems a bit forced and over-the-top; whereas, Hogarth creates such a mood on Brave in an almost effortless manner. It's different on every song, too. If anything, this band became Jekyll and Hyde with Hogarth. To do something a bit more light in Holidays In Eden, to turn around and produce such a brooding and dark album in Brave took courage. Then, they do another flip flop and produce Afraid Of Sunlight, which is a bit more ethereal, but such a social statement on what we perceive as fame, but shedding light on the reality of it all. I applaud them.

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 17:08
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by Kotro Kotro wrote:

Hey, Collins Genesis started with ATOTT and W&W as Hogarth started more adventurous but both IMO started to decline and get closer to mainstream with the pass of the years.

Of course Hogarth never released anything like Illegal Alien or Who Dunitt? but the last Video Clip is simply horrendous IMHO.

Iván

Not much of a decline, in my opinion. Genesis may have lost a little credibility within the prog community, but the Hogarth-led Marillion have gone on to produce (at least) two masterpieces in Brave and 2004's Marbles.

And with all due respect, Fish hasn't come close to producing a masterpiece since leaving Marillion.

E
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 17:11

And with all due respect, Fish hasn't come close to producing a masterpiece since leaving Marillion.

Oh I don't think so. He's come close. Raingods with Zippos is great, probably 4 stars. Vigil is next. Great tracks on there; probably about a 3.5 or 4. Sunsets on Empire and Field of Crows were disappointing; maybe 2.5 or 3.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 25 2007 at 17:14
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

Oh I don't think so. He's come close. Raingods with Zippos is great, probably 4 stars. Vigil is next. Great tracks on there; probably about a 3.5 or 4. Sunsets on Empire and Field of Crows were disappointing; maybe 2.5 or 3.

I've heard both, and I'm still not convinced. I found RwZ to be quite dull. If anything, Vigil could be the closest, but still doesn't come anywhere near Brave or Marbles.

You're gonna have to convince me better than that.

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>