1 [4.00%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [12.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 06:56
My idea of a good SF movie are movies like "Phase IV", "Silent Running", or if you want a less obscure movie, "Twelve Monkeys". Also "Welt am Draht" by Rainer Werner Fassbinder (which is little known because it was a German tv-movie and never ran in cinemas. It is the movie the "Matrix" guys stole the idea from some 25 years later, only it is a lot better than "Matrix"). "2001" of course too. To name a few.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 06:58
Silent Running isn't obscure, but I find it rather dull. Twelve Monkeys though is absolutely great.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:10
"Silent Running" is one of those "silent" movies that are more about creating an atmosphere than developing a plot. I like this kind of silence. And the final scene of the two robots caring for the garden, one of them being slightly crippled, is in my opinion one of the most moving scenes in a movie ever. I am not very much into action.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:26
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Also "Welt am Draht" by Rainer Werner Fassbinder (which is little known because it was a German tv-movie and never ran in cinemas. It is the movie the "Matrix" guys stole the idea from some 25 years later, only it is a lot better than "Matrix"). 

The Matrix guys didn't steal it. They were influenced by the same novel that "Welt am Draht" is based on, namely Simulacron-3 by Daniel F. Galouye. Wether it is betterthan Matrix or not is puirely down to opinion of course.
Phil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:44

The Empire Strikes Back!

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:53
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Also "Welt am Draht" by Rainer Werner Fassbinder (which is little known because it was a German tv-movie and never ran in cinemas. It is the movie the "Matrix" guys stole the idea from some 25 years later, only it is a lot better than "Matrix"). 

The Matrix guys didn't steal it. They were influenced by the same novel that "Welt am Draht" is based on, namely Simulacron-3 by Daniel F. Galouye. Wether it is betterthan Matrix or not is puirely down to opinion of course.

I am pretty sure the Wachowski brothers knew the Fassbinder movie. I know both are based on the Galouye novel; I even read it.
As to whether one is "better" than the other: Sure, that's a matter of opinion. I have already stated I prefer the silent approach to the action and special FX loaded one. It is possible a question of gender.

Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:54

The Matrix guys didn't steal it.

"It's not so much an 'homage' more the fact that we shamelessly stole the idea out right..."LOL

(Tony Roberts in Stardust Memories)  Long live Plagiarism, I say...Big%20smile

And Snowie, 'Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back' isn't the greatest movie of all time... but The Bicycle Thieves might be...Wink

meanwhile, back to Star Wars, of which I know absolutley nothing.....Embarrassed
Music has always been a matter of energy to me. On some nights I believe that a car with the needle on empty can run 50 more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. Hunter S Thompson
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 07:59

I am pretty sure the Wachowski brothers knew the Fassbinder movie. I know both are based on the Galouye novel; I even read it.
As to whether one is "better" than the other: Sure, that's a matter of opinion. I have already stated I prefer the silent approach to the action and special FX loaded one. It is possible a question of gender.

Sure they may know the film,but The Matrix is influenced by many films and is mostly influenced by the comic strip "The Invisibles" by Grant Morrison.

BTW. It has nothing to do with gender. That is plain sexism.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 01 2007 at 08:09
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 08:27
I do believe there is a difference in genders, and not only in the body. Why should there be none? The conception that it is "wrong" to believe in a difference of genders stems from the idea that one gender is "better" than the other (as was the common belief for centuries), but I am not saying that. There is nothing sexist about saying there is a difference. Would it be sexist to say that men have a penis? Of course not.
Also saying there is a difference between the minds of men and women must be taken with a grain of salt. For example, if one says "women are more emotional than men", that should mean nothing more than "in a diagram that displays the emotionality of men and women on the x-coordinate and the number of men and women of a cerain grade of emotionality on the y-coordinate, the Gauss maximum of the curve would be more towards the right wtih women". In a similar way all statements of men are more .... than women" or vice versa should be understood. Some of those statements would still be false then, others wouldn't. But saying there is no difference between the mind of men and women is in my opinion just as saying there is no difference in the body.  The difficulty begins when someone starts rating these differences.

The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:33

Well, what are the "Star Wars" movies, when you look at them? Nothing more than horse operas taken into space with lots of special effects thrown in. That is in my opinion not enough to make them interesting. If you want an FX-loaded movie when you watch SF, then "Star Wars" is the place to go. If you want a plot that is a little bit more complicated than "Good fights Evil", have a look at other movies.

Oh, you have to excuse us idiots who like Star Wars. I realise we have no clue about SF. I thought the question here was about peoples favourite SW movie? So which is your favourite? Why do you always bring a thread down?Cry

I have no idea what a "horse opera" is. Not a clue.

Agree with the Snow Man...

Can I just ask something, Baldfriede? You don't like Star Wars... OK... you like other kind of sci-fi movies.... OK, I do, too, but I also like Star Wars, but that's not my point... My point is, and pun's intended, what's your point? What's the point in coming here to a "your favorite STAR WARS movie" poll and say "I don't like Star wars movies, I like x and y and z...etc".... This is not a "what kind of sci-fi movie you like" poll or a "how incredibly educated you are" poll, but just "your favorite star wars movie" poll.... Can you see what I'm saying? No disrespect for you, you have a distinct and cultivated taste, but what's the point in always showing in polls saying "what you like people, I consider inferior".... Can you explain me please? Not that you need to, but as you do, I want to make my opinion known.

I love "obscure" cinema (it's not obscure, it's just not commercial, don't insult it by saying it's obscure...) too, but I also like stupid "horse operas" like Star Wars... You know that plot isn't everything in movies, do you? You know that for the first Star Wars movies there was no damn cgi and computer power that we have today, so at least some kind of effort had to be done by Lucas to make his stupid "horse opera" such a legendary work?

I don't like Post Rock. I have a lot of reasons not to like it. But I learned to control myself and not meddle in polls about post-rock bands and about the genre itself because I respect the people that do like the stuff... Now couldn't I get the same treatment? If you don't like Star Wars, if you don't like when a poll just names Peart and other drummer and not the one you like, please, it's just a poll. People don't like to be "educated".

tardis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:37
Originals kick, new ones suck.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:41

I do believe there is a difference in genders, and not only in the body. Why should there be none?

At no point have I said there is no difference in the genders. The evidence is plain to see that I haven't.

What I am saying is the you say you don't like Action films and that possibly its a gender thing, implying that women do not like Action films. This is obviously not so. It is simply a personal thing. The opposite is also true. If you are a man it doesn't follow that youm will like action films. But you know this.

I voted "Revenge Of The Sith" btw.Wink

Edited by Snow Dog - March 01 2007 at 14:42
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 20:14
The Empire strikes back is one perfect movieClapClapClapClapClap
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:11
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Well, what are the "Star Wars" movies, when you look at them? Nothing more than horse operas taken into space with lots of special effects thrown in. That is in my opinion not enough to make them interesting. If you want an FX-loaded movie when you watch SF, then "Star Wars" is the place to go. If you want a plot that is a little bit more complicated than "Good fights Evil", have a look at other movies.

Oh, you have to excuse us idiots who like Star Wars. I realise we have no clue about SF. I thought the question here was about peoples favourite SW movie? So which is your favourite? Why do you always bring a thread down?Cry

I have no idea what a "horse opera" is. Not a clue.

Agree with the Snow Man...

Can I just ask something, Baldfriede? You don't like Star Wars... OK... you like other kind of sci-fi movies.... OK, I do, too, but I also like Star Wars, but that's not my point... My point is, and pun's intended, what's your point? What's the point in coming here to a "your favorite STAR WARS movie" poll and say "I don't like Star wars movies, I like x and y and z...etc".... This is not a "what kind of sci-fi movie you like" poll or a "how incredibly educated you are" poll, but just "your favorite star wars movie" poll.... Can you see what I'm saying? No disrespect for you, you have a distinct and cultivated taste, but what's the point in always showing in polls saying "what you like people, I consider inferior".... Can you explain me please? Not that you need to, but as you do, I want to make my opinion known.

I love "obscure" cinema (it's not obscure, it's just not commercial, don't insult it by saying it's obscure...) too, but I also like stupid "horse operas" like Star Wars... You know that plot isn't everything in movies, do you? You know that for the first Star Wars movies there was no damn cgi and computer power that we have today, so at least some kind of effort had to be done by Lucas to make his stupid "horse opera" such a legendary work?

I don't like Post Rock. I have a lot of reasons not to like it. But I learned to control myself and not meddle in polls about post-rock bands and about the genre itself because I respect the people that do like the stuff... Now couldn't I get the same treatment? If you don't like Star Wars, if you don't like when a poll just names Peart and other drummer and not the one you like, please, it's just a poll. People don't like to be "educated".

All good points, maybe its time to start a general "Science Fiction" thread and discuss which obscure works are good and who prefers which type of movie. But in a Star Wars thread let's discuss Star Wars.

On that note, I am very surprised that Empire is winning I had no idea it was the favorite. I absolutely love it but it is my 3rd favorite of the originals although Return of the Jedi and Star Wars a New Hope both barely beat it for me.
Empire has the best ending and the best fight scene, Return of the Jedi has the best Space Battle and best action all around but I love A New Hope because of the development of the story and the dialogue used. I like getting to know the characters and the plot of a farmboy with nothing becoming a hero is always a good story.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:14
I like The Empire Strikes Back because of it's darkness. I found it to be a lot more intense than the other movies. The new prequels just didn't hold my attention.

I remember seeing Return Of The Jedi on opening night. Man, the line outside the theater was VERY long and it was packed. Still, glad I got to see all of the originals in the theater.

E
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:26
I am quite happy to go against the grain and say, God help me, I loved Episodes 1,2 and 3-- in fact all six movies are terrific and, taken as a whole, one of the great film series. Empire Strikes Back is a good movie but when it's everyone's favorite, that gets tiresome. I've heard people say, "What was Lucas thinking when he made those last three movies .. I didn't picture any of that in the story." But it's Lucas' story not anyone elses, you either let him tell it or you reject the saga as a whole. I've heard enough negativity over 'Clones', 'Menace' and 'Sith'... three amazing movies, get over it. My favorite? Either Episode 3 or 4.

Edited by Atavachron - March 01 2007 at 21:26
Jeams Pfirp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:50
I've seen all the episodes. I'm really fond of the moviews and they are among my favorites of all time. I can't decide in between one.
cuncuna View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:57

"Silent Running" is one of those "silent" movies that are more about creating an atmosphere than developing a plot. I like this kind of silence. And the final scene of the two robots caring for the garden, one of them being slightly crippled, is in my opinion one of the most moving scenes in a movie ever. I am not very much into action.

I'm not very into knowing how movies end...
¡Beware of the Bee!

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 07:51
Originally posted by cuncuna cuncuna wrote:

I'm not very into knowing how movies end...

Aw.....Hug
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 15:42
Episode IV is the one I like the most

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>