Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNexus - Perpettum Karma

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: How high do you rank this album???
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
9 [45.00%]
2 [10.00%]
4 [20.00%]
1 [5.00%]
2 [10.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [10.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexus - Perpettum Karma
    Posted: March 01 2007 at 14:40
Nexus has reseantly released their last album: Perpetuum Karma, which I find to be a good album but...I have a small problem now. I don´t know if you have noticed, but this album is now number one of the 2006 100 top album list. Now, this shouldn´t be a big problem, right? Just because I don´t agree with that doesn´t mean I should complain about it...well, the thing is this album has 42 reviews by the time I´m typing this with 83% of 5 star rating...yet only 7 written reviews. So I think someone has been giving 5 stars ratings more than ones if you catch my drift. So, I was wondering...am I wrong about this? Maybe it is a 5 stars album for almoust 40 reviewers...but this looks way to suspicious. So, I discided to make a poll and see what the results are... so...vote
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 15:48
I think it is a fantastic album, but I thought the voting was done for that.
Zitro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 18:30
5 - Below Average ... It has its good musicianship and some excellent moments, but I just can't finish this album. It is quite dull and monotonous in my opinion, and sometimes even aimless (the title track for example). Also, most songs sound very similar to each other.

Another neo-prog album that I don't enjoy ... this album which is supposedly so great didn't excite me. I lost all hope on neo-prog (with an exception of Arena which is quite good and catchy)

Well, at least it is more enjoyable than the highly-acclaimed "Argus", possibly my biggest disappointment in the last 2 years.

Edited by Zitro - March 01 2007 at 18:33
erik neuteboom View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 05:19
I am more concerned about the fact that Nexus is categorized as neo-prog because their latest effort is mainly rooted in the Seventies symphonic prog tradition with obvious ELP hints. I know that progheads are not willing to read a review when they notice the genre Neo-prog so I will ask the Symphonic prog - and Neo-prog team for a reconsideration of the Nexus category.
About the album Perpetuum Karma: I played it yesterday and I am still carried away by their wonderful and dynamic sound and I am pleased with the 3-5 star ratings until now but I agree with El Bothy his suspicions about the five star ratings without a review.

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 09:11
Originally posted by erik neuteboom erik neuteboom wrote:

I am more concerned about the fact that Nexus is categorized as neo-prog because their latest effort is mainly rooted in the Seventies symphonic prog tradition with obvious ELP hints. I know that progheads are not willing to read a review when they notice the genre Neo-prog so I will ask the Symphonic prog - and Neo-prog team for a reconsideration of the Nexus category.
About the album Perpetuum Karma: I played it yesterday and I am still carried away by their wonderful and dynamic sound and I am pleased with the 3-5 star ratings until now but I agree with El Bothy his suspicions about the five star ratings without a review.

I had the same feeling when I first listened to it. It seems more symphonic than neo. I'll listen to it some more. I am also getting a copy of "Metanoia."

This is also yet another example of why you shouldn't be able to rate an album without a review.

Edited by bhikkhu - March 02 2007 at 09:13
Nash View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 12:46
for me is a good album, between a 7 and a 8.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 15:16
Bhikkhu, I own all studio albums and in my opinion the emphasis is on symphonic prog. But I am very curious to other opinions and analysis.

Edited by erik neuteboom - March 02 2007 at 15:17
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 21:26

Bhikkhu, I own all studio albums and in my opinion the emphasis is on symphonic prog. But I am very curious to other opinions and analysis.

You know I trust your opinion, but I like checking these things out too. That's the fun part. I'll have to get with the rest of the team on this one too.
Prog-man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 03:15

I am more concerned about the fact that Nexus is categorized as neo-prog because their latest effort is mainly rooted in the Seventies symphonic prog tradition with obvious ELP hints.

AGREED.

I VOTED 9.

EXCELLENT ALBUM!!!   

I SAW THEM PLAYING LIVE IN BUENOS AIRES (THEY SUPPORTED IQ, FOR EXAMPLE), AND THE BAND IS REALLY GREAT. 

AND I AM PROUD OF THAT THEY'RE FROM ARGENTINA. 
Arriving somewhere but not here
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 08:45

Good luck with you check out and discussions with the others Bhikkhu, I am looking forward to the results Wink

Prog-man, you have seen IQ and Nexus on one night? You must have been a very happy symphomaniac those hours  Approve !

Prog-man View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 17:14

YOU ARE RIGHT, ERIK!!!!!! 

THAT WAS A GREAT NIGHT IN BUENOS AIRES!!!      

IN 1999 NEXUS SUPPORTED IQ IN ARGENTINA.
THAT WAS THE 1st TIME THAT I SAW THEM PLAYING LIVE.

THAT WAS THE "SUBTERRANEA TOUR", AND NEXUS PLAYED SOME SONGS FROM "DETRAS DEL UMBRAL" (TIEMPO SIN RAZON, SIGNOS EN EL CIELO, EL ULTIMO RITUAL, LA ESPIRAL) & CONDENADOS.
THEIR PERFORMANCE WAS VERY PRAISED BY THE MEMBERS OF IQ!

I GUESS THAT IQ PLAYED APPROXIMATELY  A TOTALLY OF 3:30 HOURS, EVEN... WHEN THE THE ILLUMINATOR OF THE THEATRE WENT AWAY!!! 
THEY ALREADY HAD EDITED 3 MASTERPIECES: THE WAKE, EVER & SUBTERRANEA...

AMAZING! DARKEST HOUR, LEAP OF FAITH, IT ALL STOPS HERE, SUBTERRANEA, SLEEPLESS, KING OF FOOLS, FAILSAFE, CAPRICORN, WAR HEROES, NOTHING AT ALL, HEADLONG, THE WAKE, THE LAST HUMAN GATEWAY, HUMAN NATURE...  

YEAP! AN UNFORGETTABLE & VERY HAPPY SYMPHOMANIAC (& NEO-PROG) NIGHT!!! 

Arriving somewhere but not here
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2007 at 17:21
I witnessed an IQ gig last year but Nexus .. during my interview with the band I was asked by Lalo Huber to help them with gigs in Europe but if you are travelling from Argentina you are a bit expensive band .. Unhappy Nonetheless, I would like to help them because I also will help myself and many European progheads if they are able to see one of the best recent progrock bands Wink
martinn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 13:20
Just a few notes here..

As for today:

They rank 3rd on the Neo-prog category over any Album of icons of Neo such as Arena, IQ, and Pendragon...Ermm

If we look at the Top 100 they are ranked 58 above som Prog classics such as Genesis - Tresspass, VdGG - H to He, ELP - ELP, Rush - 2112 ... and thats only a fewWacko

If we look the ratings with review, there are some reviewers that only reviewed this Album and never entered the site again... imagine, if we are talking about the people who actually reviewed it, how would the situation with ratings without review be?Shocked

If you ask me, I think it it is suspicious indeed!
Dirk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 15:55
Excellent album.
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 23:53
Originally posted by martinn martinn wrote:

Just a few notes here..

As for today:

They rank 3rd on the Neo-prog category over any Album of icons of Neo such as Arena, IQ, and Pendragon...Ermm

If we look at the Top 100 they are ranked 58 above som Prog classics such as Genesis - Tresspass, VdGG - H to He, ELP - ELP, Rush - 2112 ... and thats only a fewWacko

If we look the ratings with review, there are some reviewers that only reviewed this Album and never entered the site again... imagine, if we are talking about the people who actually reviewed it, how would the situation with ratings without review be?Shocked

If you ask me, I think it it is suspicious indeed!

Well done martinne, you have done a good job in my absence ...now get the hell out of here, Im running this show!

Seriouly guys, you gotta take action, this is more than a little suspicious! I mean...the album is not that good...I mean...there are only 7 reviews...come on people, do something!!!...the album is not that good!...oh sorry, did I already say that???
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2007 at 07:35
Originally posted by el böthy el böthy wrote:

Originally posted by martinn martinn wrote:

Just a few notes here..As for today:They rank 3rd on the Neo-prog category over any Album of icons of Neo such as Arena, IQ, and Pendragon...ErmmIf we look at the Top 100 they are ranked 58 above som Prog classics such as Genesis - Tresspass, VdGG - H to He, ELP - ELP, Rush - 2112 ... and thats only a fewWackoIf we look the ratings with review, there are some reviewers that only reviewed this Album and never entered the site again... imagine, if we are talking about the people who actually reviewed it, how would the situation with ratings without review be?ShockedIf you ask me, I think it it is suspicious indeed!
Well done martinne, you have done a good job in my absence ...now get the hell out of here, Im running this show!Seriouly guys, you gotta take action, this is more than a little suspicious! I mean...the album is not that good...I mean...there are only 7 reviews...come on people, do something!!!...the album is not that good!...oh sorry, did I already say that???

I think you are going to find that you are in the minority with that opinion.

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 05:11

I voted 9 and I agree with my fellow countryman Erik Neuteboom that this could also be regarded as symphonic. I mean if Flower Kings is even considered symphonic instead of neo (more or less 50/50) than Nexus could be classified as symphonic prog as well.

Especially on this album I don't see the neo aspect in the music.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 05:46
I had expected a change in categories concerning Nexus, fellow countryman Progrules because with their album Perpetuum Karma indeed the emphasis in their entire catalogue in now obvious on symphonic prog with strong hints from ELP. Perhaps it is meant to be a Christmas gift to put Nexus in Symphonic Prog Wink!
el böthy View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2007 at 11:40
I still think it´s not that good... I mean, it is good, but that´s it! All songs should be shorter (except for the last one), that´s the main "flaw" of the album.

But that´s just me, and Im a very small minority here...
 Post Reply Post Reply