5 [29.41%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best US President part II
    Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:19
The first poll was the most recent 10 presidents, here's the next 10.

My vote is Teddy Roosevelt.

Edited by video vertigo - March 01 2007 at 21:21
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:39
Tough....FDR and TR
and WIlson!

But....my nod goes to FDR
Arrrghus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:42
Teddy by a longshot. He revolutionized the role of the president, was a champion of enviornmental rights, was the most popular president, etc. I could go on.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 21:55
Herbert Hoover! 

Just kidding.

In all seriousness, Woodrow Wilson gets my vote for his brilliant 14 points plan, which was decades ahead of its time, even  though it ultimately was ignored by the rest of the world, which was too focused on diplomatically punishing Germany to follow his plan and actually try to stabilize Europe.  His work in trying for peace, rather than vengence, was so grueling it helped trigger the strokes that led to his death. 

FDR's New Deal, helping to pull the nation out of the Great Depression makes him a close runner up, but it wouldn't win him the poll for me because I'm still not sure if it alone could pull us out of the depression; if it weren't for WWII, would the New Deal be enough?

Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 23:12
Taft and Teddy are two great presidents, but I'll have to pick Teddy over Taft.

Two of my most hated presidents are actually on here: Wilson (for his foreign policy) and FDR (for his domestic policy). I do aknowledge that both of them were good as far in as being wartime leaders.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 23:13
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

if it weren't for WWII, would the New Deal be enough?

IMO, no.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 23:16
Roosevelt captured the spirit of America and created the National Park system, which will soon be devastated by refuge drilling. Not saying it's right or wrong or it will never recover, but it's inevitable.

FDR was a shrewd and pragmatic leader and gave hope and tangible aid to a lot of people who were struggling.

Between those two, for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2007 at 23:17

FDR's New Deal, helping to pull the nation out of the Great Depression makes him a close runner up, but it wouldn't win him the poll for me because I'm still not sure if it alone could pull us out of the depression; if it weren't for WWII, would the New Deal be enough?

The New Deal extended the depression. WWII solved the depression, not FDR.
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 00:28
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

if it weren't for WWII, would the New Deal be enough?

IMO, no.

Absoluetly. It was WWII  that truly got us out of the Depression. In fact, I thought during the late 30's the country started sliding BACK towards depression.
BUT, didn't FDR restore confidence? Put some faith back in the economy, or am I totally wrong and this means nothing.

This was tough, I mean Teddy Roosevelt really was a great President, and Wilson (while getting us into WWI) I do think had the honest intention of it being "the war to end all wars". He developed a plan for peace, but at Versailles he got pushed to the side.

I used to really like Truman, but later I realized....didn't he start the Cold War?
Yes, it was pretty complex and both sides contributed, but didn't he physically start the Cold War? And that war is possibly the one I hate the most.
Whoa, that got way longer than I expected.

Edited by JJLehto - March 02 2007 at 00:30
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 00:54
Originally posted by Arrrghus Arrrghus wrote:

Teddy by a longshot. He revolutionized the role of the president, was a champion of enviornmental rights, was the most popular president, etc. I could go on.

I agree,the man did so much in his time in office.

It was a tough choice between him and FDR though.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 09:03
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

BUT, didn't FDR restore confidence? Put some faith back in the economy, or am I totally wrong and this means nothing.

Yes, this is the most profound effect he had on the economy. His actual presence as an authority figure in control helped the economy immensley more than his New Deal plans  ever did. One of the reason the economy sunk so low was because the people had no faith in Hoover who they saw as doing nothing to fix the problem. It's really strange how the entire economic crash originated from a lack of knowledge of the economy rather than any real problems.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 21:24

It's curious that most polls (everywhere, every audience, not only regular people but also among highly educated individuals) has similar results: the first five would be among Washington, (I guess because he was the first one and a Revolutionary hero), Jefferson (he wrote the Constitution adapting Locke's ideas to US' reality, that's enough), Abraham Lincoln (do I need to spell it?), Teddy Roosevelt, and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. It's also curious that many people think presidents have to be categorized only based on their economic achievements.... Well, that's the way of the world I guess... Anyway, always the top-two are Lincoln and FDR, and I happen to agree. FDR's New Deal helped this country out of Depression (yes, WWII helped, who can't deny it, but it's not a magic formula: give a president a war, the economy will flourish.. or are we reducing human beings to only numeric values, so that what happens among us is exact science as in economy?) but he also lead the country in the war. After him, well, Truman was competent, Eisenhower mediocre, Kennedy too short to qualify, and LBJ who nobody seems to mention, he did more for civil rights than most others combined. Yes, there was enormous pressure, but he signed the Act. And this poll is not about later presidents so I'll shut up. Big%20smile

FDR

IVNORD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 16:38

Strangely,  nobody mentioned the most important achievements of Teddy Roosevelt.

I know it’s politically incorrect to even mention that he was an imperialist, let alone considering it as his achievement, but he was the president who understood the economic necessity for America to be present on the international scene. The Panama Canal was part of the deal.

Another one was his Anti-trust legislation which shaped the US domestic economy  abolishing monopolies and providing a vehicle for thriving economic competition and thus prosperity and progress.

And yes, he was a nature’s lover. Thanks to him, we may have the Yellowstone preserved for the next few hundred years.

progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 16:40
Originally posted by IVNORD IVNORD wrote:

Strangely,  nobody mentioned the most important achievements of Teddy Roosevelt.

I know it’s politically incorrect to even mention that he was an imperialist, let alone considering it as his achievement, but he was the president who understood the economic necessity for America to be present on the international scene. The Panama Canal was part of the deal.

Another one was his Anti-trust legislation which shaped the US domestic economy  abolishing monopolies and providing a vehicle for thriving economic competition and thus prosperity and progress.

And yes, he was a nature’s lover. Thanks to him, we may have the Yellowstone preserved for the next few hundred years.

I'll vote for him. I've been lucky enough to go to Yellowstone twice and I loved it both times.
moreitsythanyou View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 16:46
Personally, I'm going with FDR.

However, Calvin Coolidge was a n00b! Angry

Wink
<font color=white>butts, lol[/COLOR]

video vertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 22:44
I find it remarkable that a Republican leads a poll on this site, but he was a progressive so really it makes complete sense.
"The rock and roll business is pretty absurd, but the world of serious music is much worse." - Zappa
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 23:12
Yea, a teacher of mine LOVED TR. He's a real conservative ESPECIALLY with money.
Why he liked TR I don't really know.
GoldenSpiral View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2007 at 01:16
FDR.

call me a New Deal Democrat...
http://www.myspace.com/altaic
ALTAIC

"Oceans Down You'll Lie"
coming soon