Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMasterplan - MK II

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Masterplan - MK II
    Posted: March 02 2007 at 16:15
   Well, I've just listened to the new masterplan album and I think it is really good. Surely I miss Jorn Lande's vocals but the new vocalist is surprisingly good.

So what do you think of Masterplan"s new album?
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2007 at 19:26
I think it's pretty weak, conventional and safe, without the memorable hooks of the previous two. DiMeo is a vocalist I'm supposed to like, since he's been singing for Riot for such a long time and he always seemed to fit them perfectly, but here... I don't think he has the necessary vocal strength, in spite of being able to modulate quite charmingly.
I went to see Masterplan a week ago in a club in Bremen, at their first show with the new line-up (the "release party" for MKII actually) and I'm sorry to say it was pretty much a fiasco. They didn't have a light show, they played under the banner left over from the opening band Mob Rules, the voice and sometimes guitar were drowned in the bad sound mix... Most importantly, DiMeo didn't seem to know the songs too well, and they actually had a very embarassing moment during "Soulburn", when they mistakenly repeated a verse, then they skipped the second part of the song, ending up in an unsuccessful improvisation. Terrana is great on his monster of a drumkit and he obviously doesn't have any problems playing what he has to, but he seemed seriously pissed off during the show for the obvious de-synchronizing and poor sound conditions. I had to leave after 45 minutes, but I noticed that about half of the public was already gone at that point... I was left with a pretty bad aftertaste and it's the first time this happens.
I hope they recover and succeed in accomodating DiMeo into the band (especially live), as I think there's a long tour ahead of them. I admit I have a soft spot for Lande, but - regardless of that - it would probably be wise to rely mostly on older tracks at this point, since I don't think the new one is likely to raise too many eyebrows.
...Personal opinion, it's understood. Smile
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
 Post Reply Post Reply