Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 156>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:36
That would be him. She worked at ADC (Austin Diagnostic Clinic) for a long time, until my folks moved away in 1998.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:39
I love his slogan -  "There are more vasectomies to be done"

LOL   
if I didn't know better I'd say it was a gag

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:46
When the company I work for was owned by a Dutch company my counterpart in the Netherlands was Mr Dik Kok, as amusing as that is in English, in Dutch it translates as Thick Cook...
What?
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:52
I like to cook and I'm thick... Wink

Ata-V, yup, it's a helluva thing. Nice guy though, from what I remember.

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

I love his slogan -  "There are more vasectomies to be done"

LOL   
if I didn't know better I'd say it was a gag

Would you suspect he's yanking your chain? LOL Wink

Edited by *frinspar* - June 12 2014 at 02:56
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:59
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

When the company I work for was owned by a Dutch company my counterpart in the Netherlands was Mr Dik Kok, as amusing as that is in English, in Dutch it translates as Thick Cook...

A good thing I assume, a portly chef ?

Reminds me of when Aquino was addressing a group of dignitaries and said "I want to wish you all a-penis", which her husband had to remind her was pronounced "Happiness" .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2014 at 18:06
Today I whipped up some fruit sauce.  The crab apples came from my sister's lake place in northern MN.  I threw in some rhubarb grown in my back yard.  Very tart indeed!.

After they softened a bit I threw in some dried plum....the fragrance during the cooking was amazing.

As it comes together we add in dark brown sugar to sweeten.  Many people strain their applesauce to make it prettier but I like the added fiber and nutrients in the chunks and skin.  It may not look too exotic but served warm over good vanilla ice cream, it's amazing. 

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2014 at 13:10
Some wonderfully smoky chipotles have been a stock store-cupboard ingredient since we visited a chilli fiesta a couple of years back, so to celebrate the 149th anniversary of the publication of Alice's Adventures In Wonderland today I have thrown some chipotles, smoked paprika (both hot and sweet), English mustard powder, brown sugar, cumin and garlic into a coffee-grinder and whizzed it to a fine powder that has the colour of terracotta and the most amazing aroma. This has then been used as a dry-rub on a free-range corn-fed chicken that I spatchcock'd by removing the spine with a cooks knife and opened out like a book. Normally I would allow this to marinade for several hours (preferably over night) and then slow roasted for a few hours in the BBQ, but it's a work-day and it's an unplanned recipe so it'll get maybe an hour (if it's lucky) before being slammed in the oven at 180°C for 1½ hrs.

Happy Wonderland Day.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 08 2014 at 23:39
^ Love the chipotles, and the adobo sauce the canned ones come in;  I like how much heat they have without being overwhelming, and the smokiness

Edited by Atavachron - July 08 2014 at 23:40
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2014 at 00:27
Pan-fried a ribeye I'd let rest for about a half hour before rubbed with olive oil, garlic, s&p, fried in a hot cast iron and splashed with Worcestershire, butter and some white wine.  Baked spud on the side.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2014 at 04:02
Tacos tonight; ground pork & beef with plenty of chipotle and onion, served in hard corn shells with sourcream, lettuce and Sriracha.  Pretty tasty.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2014 at 22:52
More tacos;  I've learned to spice the meat very well with dry chipotle powder (not the wet stuff in a can), salt&pepper, garlic powder, and tomato paste.  Well-flavored meat is the key to a good taco, then a nice shell and fresh toppings.

Edited by Atavachron - August 16 2014 at 22:53
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 17:48
I've never got to grips with tacos - it's the one Mexican dish that that never appeals. I know its probably because I've never had an authentic taco, the only ones we get over here are those that come in kit form from Old El Paso. Whenever I see the packaging it reminds me of something I'd expect to see in a hobby shop not a grocery store.

Anyway.... Made bouillabaisse over the weekend, I've made plenty of fish stews and soups in the past but this was the first time I set out to make a proper Provençal bouillabaisse, complete with croutons, aioli and grated cheese:

...and pretty damn fine it was too.

Edited by Dean - August 17 2014 at 17:49
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2014 at 20:38
^ that's a project I've been contemplating for years, but the full recipe is so daunting I've put if off.   Maybe someday.

Lovely arrangement, BTW

Edited by Atavachron - August 17 2014 at 20:39
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2014 at 18:06
^ Thanks David, but I cannot take the credit, my Daugher plated-up, I just cooked it.

The following day the left-over stew was blitzed in the blender with a little more fish stock then put on the hob to simmer for 20 minutes with some sliced potato and raw prawns added. The resulting prawn soup drizzled with some sour cream and sprinkled with chopped parsley was a delicious lunchtime meal:

What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2014 at 09:02

I've never got to grips with tacos - it's the one Mexican dish that that never appeals. I know its probably because I've never had an authentic taco, the only ones we get over here are those that come in kit form from Old El Paso. Whenever I see the packaging it reminds me of something I'd expect to see in a hobby shop not a grocery store.

Yeah, that's pretty dire.  If that was all that was on offer I'd eschew tacos as well.  I assure you authentic tacos are delicious.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2014 at 09:19

Anyway.... Made bouillabaisse over the weekend, I've made plenty of fish stews and soups in the past but this was the first time I set out to make a proper Provençal bouillabaisse, complete with croutons, aioli and grated cheese:

...and pretty damn fine it was too.

How did I miss this thread?! That looks amazing, Dean! I'm a chemist of the kitchen myself; I'll have to get some pics and recipes posted up soon!

Edited by PrognosticMind - August 22 2014 at 09:20
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2014 at 00:04
stuffed a burger with chopped red onion, s&p, pan-fried on a toasted English muffin
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2014 at 23:06
David, I finally got to that meatloaf and it was fantastic.  Added quite a bit of grated onion, some Worcestershire sauce, and dried mustard.....simple but delicious served with a good horseradish sauce, fresh mango, and a cold beer. 

Big smile

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2014 at 00:08
 ^ Sounds wonderful 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2014 at 22:30
making my Stroganoff--  using a ribeye this time, sweet onions, white mushrooms, parsley, sour cream and plenty of black pepper; simmered low till thick and flavorful then served over fettuccine (I usually use egg noodles for this dish but couldn't find any today) .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 144145146147148 156>