Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 10:41
Originally posted by emigre80 emigre80 wrote:

Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

Hellman's >>>>miracle whip

this.

that...

only Duke's comes close...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 13:52
Mayonnaise is just emulsified oil (the egg yolks are merely acting as the emulgent) so it will either taste oily or eggy if the proportions are off-balance. Like Raff I find it rather cloying so only use the thinnest scraping in a sandwich, more as a sealant than a mayor component and never use it as a salad dressing.

One curious use I have seen (and tried once when I wanted to bake a cake but had run out of fresh eggs) is to use it in cake batter - because the oil in the mayonnaise is replacing the butter in the cake batter this only really works in strongly flavoured cakes such as chocolate or coffee. It certainly made for a very moist cake but, (and I suspect this was a psychosomatic), I found the resultant cake too oily - however people who didn't know it was made with mayonnaise didn't agree with me... A similar thing happened when I made a lemon drizzle cake using mashed potato instead of flour - because I knew it was made with potato it tasted of potato to me but people who didn't know thought it was made with wheat flour.

What?
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 14:28
^ I know that some people use mayo in a cake, you can get the same richness without the oiliness using sour cream.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 14:41

^ I know that some people use mayo in a cake, you can get the same richness without the oiliness using sour cream.

I often use yogurt (which I make at home) in cakes and other baked goods. It's not as rich as sour cream, but it does yield a tender, moist crumb. Never tried mayo, and don't think I ever will.
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 14:51
Using mayo in cakes was quite common for a while, then people got over it, just like they finally got over using cream cheese in brownies.  All silly trends pass if you hang around long enough.

My best - and easiest - cake recipe is a package cake mix (chocolate fudge or devil's food), add three eggs, 1 tablespoon almond extract, 1 can cherry pie filling and a handful of mini chocolate chips.  Bake it in a bundt pan and drizzle on some chocolate ganache afterwards.  Hey presto, chocolate cherry almond cake.

Astonishingly good, dead simple and amazingly moist. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 18:33
There is nothing like a tried & true recipe, usually the simpler the better.

I do recall people putting vinegar in brownie batter, thought that may've had more to do with baking science rather than texture.   As brownies go, I don't like the over-dense, over-chocolatey brownies one always sees, even at good bakeries.   I prefer the lighter, somewhat cakey brownie with a dust of sugar, maybe some walnuts.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 18:37
I don't much care for brownies, however they are made.  Chocolate cake is infinitely superior, IMO.

Just made tried-and-true flatbreads.  Dough of flour, plain yogurt, salt and baking soda, roll out small balls into flat rounds, put on a pile of cheese, chives and pepper (and whatever else takes your fancy - almost any cheese will do, I used a combination of mozzarella and sharp cheddar), fold the tops over, flatten them a bit with a rolling pin and fry up on a flat skillet with just a few drops of oil until brown-flecked on each side.

Yum.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 20:37
Not much of a cook, but I do look in this thread to see all the good ideas and recipes from time to time.  I could not help but see references to Salad Cream and Mayonnaise. 
On the risk of being banned from this thread, I have to mention in rural Virginia way back in the day I grew up on putting mayo (not Miracle Whip) on hot dogs....I still do it once in awhile now and it freaks my wife out LOL.  Have only met 1 other person to do that (other than family).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 20:48
^ Hey it is what it is-- I used to put ketchup on hotdogs, and that'll get you killed in NYC. 

I knew a girl who put mustard on chicken which I thought was bizarre, now I like it sometimes (good Dijon of course, not the yellow stuff).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 20:54
I've never done that Jim, but I have used Mayo on both burgers and french fries.  So let your Mayo freak flag fly!  I'll stand with ya. LOL

My grandmother used to eat Limburger cheese and raw onion sandwiches.  And I guess it wasn't just a bit of onion, but a really thick slab of raw onion.  Yowsa. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 20:57

I don't much care for brownies, however they are made.  Chocolate cake is infinitely superior, IMO.

I have to agree, good cake is sublime.  Among my favorites are ones with jam or fruit pectin between layers, and the beautiful chestnut cake with chocolate icing we see around the holidays.  Also fond of choc cake with white icing, good marble poundcake, and the "orange" and "lemon" cakes you used to see more often.

With this low-carb diet I don't really do cake much, but when I do it's a treat beyond words.

emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 21:05
In the Netherlands, where I lived for 12 years, mayo is the best thing to put on fries, but it has to be Dutch mayo and Dutch fries. It's not nearly as good with American fries and Hellman's.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2016 at 21:12
Sir Kensington is a nice Mayo too, they add some bright citrus to it.  A bit pricey of course but worth a try for something different

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 16:47
My whole life I've been eating regular store eggs and listening to Foodie friends tell me that "you've never eaten an egg until you've had a real farm fresh egg."  In other words, eggs from chicken who run around in the sunshine doing normal chicken stuff.....as opposed to living in steel cages. 

So I did it. 

Found a farm out in the country that sells "real" eggs and I bought 5 dozen for myself and other family members. 

They really are different.  Rather than pale yellow, the yolks are a bright orange color, intense color.  And when you fry them in the pan, the whites do not sit there but seem to puff up with a very clean, almost porcelain white appearance. 

The taste is better too.  Hard to describe though.  More earthy, more satisfying, subtly richer. 

Supposedly they are more nutritious too, not that I give much of a sh*t about that. 

So, I'm now supporting a husband/wife small farm and buying eggs from their Plymouth Rock hens. 

Edited by Finnforest - June 11 2016 at 16:47

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:28
Thumbs UpApprove
What?
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 17:38
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

They really are different.  Rather than pale yellow, the yolks are a bright orange color, intense color.  And when you fry them in the pan, the whites do not sit there but seem to puff up with a very clean, almost porcelain white appearance. 

It is actually interesting that what they eat influences yolk color http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2013/03/influencing-egg-yolk-color.html
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2016 at 21:57
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

It is actually interesting that what they eat influences yolk color http://blog.chickenwaterer.com/2013/03/influencing-egg-yolk-color.html

Interesting blog, Matt, backyard egging is becoming a big deal

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 22:12
A dark stout induced buzz earlier made me hungry.  Hmmm.  Some good bakery buns in the kitchen.  Grabbed some leftover scallops and crab from the fridge and transferred to a bowl.  Small dollop of mayo, chopped onion, zucchini strips, pickle, sweet pepper, greens.  Beat them up until a bit tamed.  Cut the bun and placed under the broiler a couple minutes till it had a perfect brown crunch.  Removed and filled the bun with generous heaps of the seafood salad.  A few drops of sriracha on top.  Pretty decent drunk-food for a quick throw-anything-in-the-fridge on bread moment.  Big smile

Edited by Finnforest - June 25 2016 at 22:12

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 25 2016 at 22:56
^ Definitely, a winner -
emigre80 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2016 at 00:32

My whole life I've been eating regular store eggs and listening to Foodie friends tell me that "you've never eaten an egg until you've had a real farm fresh egg."  In other words, eggs from chicken who run around in the sunshine doing normal chicken stuff.....as opposed to living in steel cages. 

So I did it. 

Found a farm out in the country that sells "real" eggs and I bought 5 dozen for myself and other family members. 

The taste is better too.  Hard to describe though.  More earthy, more satisfying, subtly richer. 

Supposedly they are more nutritious too, not that I give much of a sh*t about that. 

So, I'm now supporting a husband/wife small farm and buying eggs from their Plymouth Rock hens. 

I got some eggs last year from a friend who was raising chickens and I couldn't believe the difference. I made a quiche that puffed up double in height, and tasted just amazing.  They also made the best scrambled eggs I've ever eaten.

None this year, as a fox got the chickens and they haven't restocked yet, but the memory lingers on.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 153154155156>