Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog Chefs Unite!!!
    Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:41
Simply a thread for those of us who like to cook. What's on the menu for tonight?

Here at the E residence it's roasted chicken stuffed with onions, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. I tied the wings and legs together, draped strips of bacon (you can't go wrong with bacon) over the breasts, and drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some thyme. Roasting along with it is yukon gold potatoes, rosemary, salt, pepper, and olive oil. And I just put in some herbed mushrooms. Considering roasting some broccoli, too.

I'd really like to know who is cooking and what they are cooking?

E
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:43
I'm cooking... just wait for me to buy that photo cam and I'll hit you with some of my stuff! Wink
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:45
I do the cooking in my house too.
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:47
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I do the cooking in my house too.

Snow Dog, I initially got into out of survival because my wife doesn't like to, nor is she very good at it. Now, however, I enjoy it. During the work week it becomes a headache, though.

Even though I don't make it very often, I make a batch of biscuits and gravy that'll bring tears to your eyes. My meatloaf hasn't been too shabby lately, either.

What are your specialties?

E
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 17:49
Originally posted by andu andu wrote:

I'm cooking... just wait for me to buy that photo cam and I'll hit you with some of my stuff! Wink

Andu, I'm VERY interested in foods from other parts of the world, too. What are some of the staples of your country?

I watched a special on Ireland on the food network last night. I've always wanted to go to Ireland because it seems like such an enchanting place. Seeing what they eat, however, makes me want to visit there even more. Keep the blood sausage away, but the rest looked amazing. A huge Guiness fan, too.

E
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 18:04

Ok, not a cook myself, but I'd like to suggest this typical Brazilian dish:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feijoada

Here's the recipe:

Maybe it's fine to try first at a restaurant next to your door... and don't forget the oranges and the caipirinha, please.
Guigo

~~~~~~
darksinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 18:04
some cold shrimp and salmon
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by darksinger darksinger wrote:

some cold shrimp and salmon

DS, where have you been? Seems like a long time since I've seen you around.

Can't go wrong with shrimp and salmon. Especially shrimp. I could eat my body weight in those little guys.

E
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2007 at 18:11
I fried some Bacon, even though I'm not a Cook, I did it it to make a nice toastie with cheese.Tongue
CYMRU AM BYTH
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 00:06
I didn't cook today, but tomorrow I may whip up my famous rice and beans. Whole grain rice with Morningstar farms sausage crumbles (meat substitute ), black beans, bell peppers, sweet onion, fresh garlic, a little black pepper, and a dash of oregano.
VanderGraafKommandöh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 00:12
That best be proper Gravy and not stock gravy which is too thin.

Lumpy and thick gravy, yum yum.

Ask Tony, he probably is familiar with Lancashire Hotpot.
jplanet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 00:59
Originally posted by E-Dub E-Dub wrote:

Simply a thread for those of us who like to cook. What's on the menu for tonight?

Here at the E residence it's roasted chicken stuffed with onions, garlic, lemon, salt and pepper. I tied the wings and legs together, draped strips of bacon (you can't go wrong with bacon) over the breasts, and drizzled with olive oil, salt, pepper, and some thyme. Roasting along with it is yukon gold potatoes, rosemary, salt, pepper, and olive oil. And I just put in some herbed mushrooms. Considering roasting some broccoli, too.

I'd really like to know who is cooking and what they are cooking?

E

That's the second recipe you've posted (at least that I've read) that sounded amazing!

I am VERY much into cooking, and I like a lot of the same kind of American comfort foods that you mention. My specialty is meatballs and tomato sauce, which is an ages-old recipe handed down for generations in my family (my ancestors are form Italy and Sicily). But the recipes I keep going back to are things like homemade noodles and beef stew, braised pot roast or loin of pork with caramelized carrots and yes, Yukon gold potatoes!

Tonight I had leftovers, but it was my own chicken parmigiana made with my sauce, chicken breast dipped in egg and breaded with parmigiana cheese and breadcrumbs, sizzled in some oil, topped with shredded mozzarella, bake in the oven for a bit and served with rigatoni.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 01:37
Well, I'm Italian, and like so many of my compatriots I love cooking (and eating, too...). There is a fellow forum member you know very well that had the opportunity of trying my cooking during my last visit to the US, and he was really enthusiastic!Wink Luckily he'll have the chance to try some more for the next month or so...LOL

However, I've been sick with the flu for the past week, so I can't really tell you much about my latest kitchen exploits. I'll just tell you for the time being that meat dishes are not my strong suit, but I love anything to do with pasta, rice, vegetables and vegetarian stuff in general, and of course baking and desserts!Big%20smile
ViolinCyndee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 02:02
Today I made Morrocan chickpea/veggie stew, spinach salad and baked potato wedges for dinner! 
http://cdbaby.com/cd/cyndeeleerule
www.cyndeeleerule.com
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 02:38
I love cooking, but never get a chance to practice
except for the occasional barbecue or special event due to my dad being a
total kitchen nazi (most of his cooking sucksLOL).

Wilcey View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 03:08
I adore cooking, I love to work out different flavours and textures and create something pleasing for my family. I am not a recipe girl, unless something is really complex, I tend to read a recipe a couple of times to get the feel for it and then I pelt ahead sometimes changing it to suit......
When we travel I love to eat in traditional restaurants and I spend my time over dinner 'working it out'....... then I will come home and try things out in different ways!

My daughter loves to cook now...... she really gets a blast from doing different things, I wish I could get my son interested........ he is only interested in the end result!!!!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 03:42
Originally posted by ViolinCyndee ViolinCyndee wrote:

Today I made Morrocan chickpea/veggie stew, spinach salad and baked potato wedges for dinner! 

That sounds damned fine - although, personally, I would have substituted the potato wedges for cous cous (made with just a little olive oil, fresh ground salt, lemon juice & mint - yum!)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 04:08
Originally posted by Geck0 Geck0 wrote:

That best be proper Gravy and not stock gravy which is too thin.Lumpy and thick gravy, yum yum.Ask Tony, he probably is familiar with Lancashire Hotpot.

Would never think of it. I fry up some sausage and remove from the pan. I wipe the pan clean and then melt a stick of butter (If I'm making a big batch, which I normally do, I'll use a whole stick. The only time I make it is when my in-laws come to visit and my father-in-law requests it. If it wasn't so high in fat and calories, I could eat it every weekend) and add flour to make a rue. I'll slowly add milk until I get to the proper consistency, add the sausage back in and season it with salt and pepper.

I do admit to not making my own biscuits, which I should do. I'm a pretty big opponent to trans fats/partially hydrogenated oils, so I stay away from the Pillsbury brand.

E
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 04:10
Biscuits are fun to make.
Thousands of variations.Tongue
and as E said stay away from the prepared stuffDead

Edited by king of Siam - March 05 2007 at 04:14
E-Dub View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2007 at 04:11
Originally posted by prog-chick prog-chick wrote:

I adore cooking, I love to work out different flavours and textures and create something pleasing for my family. I am not a recipe girl, unless something is really complex, I tend to read a recipe a couple of times to get the feel for it and then I pelt ahead sometimes changing it to suit......
When we travel I love to eat in traditional restaurants and I spend my time over dinner 'working it out'....... then I will come home and try things out in different ways!

My daughter loves to cook now...... she really gets a blast from doing different things, I wish I could get my son interested........ he is only interested in the end result!!!!

PC, I wish I had that kind of talent. I normally look up recipes, but can whip up the occasional gem. My meatloaf has been getting raves, as of late. I think the key is mixing in a little italian sausage, roasting red and green bell peppers, and sauteeing the onions beforehand. That is completely my own. For the most part, however, I get inspiration from magazines (I subscribe to Cooking Light).

E
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 156>