hahahahahahahaha!!!!! Atavachron lol you are quick LOL
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 17:04
 + contents may settle during transit +

Waitrose Cooks Ingredients arrow root

We ran out of Arrowroot at the weekend - no big deal, I just used cornflour instead so the resulting apple caramel sauce was slightly cloudy rather than clear but that's not a problem. Anyway... I bought a replacement 80gm tub today and it doesn't fit in the space the old 80gm tub occupied because even though it's the same diameter, it's now half as tall again as it was before - which puzzled me at first because I couldn't think of an reason for the powdered arrowroot inside to be 50% more voluminous than the powdered arrowroot in the old tub - and the answer is simple enough - it wasn't, it only occupied 2/3rds of the new tub. Anyway... I caught a glimpse of the sell-by date on the lid of the old tub as I dropped it in the recycling bin ... Use by Feb 1994...

I wonder how tall the tubs will be in 2032 Ermm

Edited by Dean - January 28 2013 at 17:06
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 17:16
^ Get em Out By Friday is coming real. We will have to have smaller pantries
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 28 2013 at 17:17
LOL So much for silly regulations, probably developed behind a desk in Brussels.

I'll see if I can post a recipe here later this week for something good, it's been a while... Oh, and last week I made sushi twice in one weekend (maki and nagiri), just because I could. One time for 9 people, the other for just 2....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 01:43
I check dates frequently but forget sometimes.. but '94 LOL  that's an aberration.    I picked up a tub of my favorite protein powder yesterday which I noticed is suddenly 5 lbs instead of the 5.04 lbs it always was.   Price is the same, less of it, and no one at the General Nutrition store had noticed.   Great, thanks guys.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 02:18
Perhaps they thought they were just getting stronger Wink. Like apparenty Mars bars aren't getting smaller, apparently our hands are just bigger than they were when we were younger.

I'll not take note of expiry dates when I'm using dry packaged goods like spices, condiments or pulses - if 20 year old arrowroot powder can still thicken a sauce then I'll happily use it. Then I take expiry dates as a suggestion rather than a rule - I'll not bypass common sense and judgement just because the date on the package is in the past.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 03:08
Well yes it depends, some processed things will simply decompose after a couple years, whereas the real thing will hold up nicely (though a spice-head will say different).   But I admit I'm a date-checker; I'm the guy in the store bothering clerks about a wedge of cheese that's two days away from the exp. date (and they're always shocked).    
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 03:50
In 1932, Forrest Mars, son of American candy maker Frank C. Mars, rented a factory in Slough and with a staff of twelve people, began manufacturing a chocolate bar consisting of nougat and caramel covered in milk chocolate, modeled after his father's Milky Way bar, which was already popular in the US.

learn something new every day

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2013 at 04:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

In 1932, Forrest Mars, son of American candy maker Frank C. Mars, rented a factory in Slough and with a staff of twelve people, began manufacturing a chocolate bar consisting of nougat and caramel covered in milk chocolate, modeled after his father's Milky Way bar, which was already popular in the US.

learn something new every day

One of those oddities of Mars confection - they give different products the same name in different places. Your Milky Way is closer to our Mars Bar, and our Milky Way floats:

I prefer the chocolate on the UK versions, but that's probably due to familiarity and 50+ years of eating overly sweet UK chocolate.

What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 02:04
^ not only that but your MilkyWay looks like our Mars Bar without the almonds--  and yeah the chocolate on the English Mars looks better, nicely glazed and a bit darker
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 15:31
Mars or Milky Way, who cares - it just kills your teeth, and your appetite.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 17:04
Made from scratch chicken and pastries last night- so good.  Used celery and onion, and added an unusual twist: Boiled egg halves.  Lots of black pepper.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2013 at 18:41
Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Mars or Milky Way, who cares - it just kills your teeth, and your appetite.
you're right Angie, it does, but my trick (though I rarely eat candy much anymore) is swishing out my mouth with warm water after something like that; cuts the lingering sugar in the mouth

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2013 at 18:00
Over christmas we sampled some Chase Marmalade Vodka, which was rather nice if a little pricey at £34 a bottle.

Inspired by this marmalade infused tipple the weekend before last I made some Marmalade Liqueur by adapting a Limoncello recipe I'd used before, but making it with Seville oranges (which happen to be in season at the moment) to achieve the correct "marmalade" flavour. Using a £10 bottle of generic vodka and about £1 for the oranges this is amazingly drinkable and very very tasty for a third the price of the professionally produced offering. This evening was the first tasting session for this drink and I have to admit it is rather fine though having drinked a couple of glasses so far, I find I'm having to type this with one eye slightly closed to maintain focus on the laptop screen. Hopefully normal service will be restored as soon as possible, in the meantime here is a photograph of two Seville oranges:

Loose Organic Seville Oranges&amp;nbsp;image

To have a go at making this for yourself: first using a potato peeler the zest is carefully pared from two large (or three medium) Seville oranges taking care to only get the deep orange zest and non of the white pith, this is put to one side while the juice is squeezed from the oranges into a pan with 200gm of sugar that had been dissolved in a drop of vodka, once the sugar is fully dissolved the resulting syrup is brought to the boil and allowed to boil rapidly for 2 minutes. The pan is removed from the heat and the orange peel added to the syrup together with a bottle of inexpensive vodka. Once cooled the liquid is stored in a sterile air-tight bottle for two weeks for the oils in the peel to infuse into the alcohol, after which time the liqueur is filtered through muslin to remove the peel and any orange juice sediments before putting back into the bottle. Serve chilled neat over crushed ice or with tonic or soda in a tall glass.

Now all I need to do is remember to buy another bottle of vodka and some more oranges tomorrow so I can make some more. I noticed the other day that Im down to my last preserved lemon so I'll have to try and remember to add small lemons and a bag of sea salt to the shopping list.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 03 2013 at 21:54
Sounds lovely, I prefer liquor to wine anyway.   I need to whip up some prez-lems as well.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 00:04
broiled a scrumptious porkchop stuffed with apples, herbs, giblets and breadcrumbs, pickled beets on the side

*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2013 at 01:42
^
Nice.

I made a dish that my mom cooked a lot when I was a kid, one of her easy mainstays. Pork chops, browned and then simmered in cream of mushroom soup for a while and showered in dill.
Lay it on a bed of rice and you're good to go. Big smile
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2013 at 02:43
Now that sounds good

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 156>