FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 05:23
Anything cooked in cream of mushroom soup reminds me of when I lived at the YMCA (not quite as bad as it sounds, but the food was on a par with 1960s school dinners) - one depressing and all to frequent mainstay was chicken and butter beans cooked in an unappetising grey catering-quality mushroom soup that we disparagingly called Chicken à la Denis in honour of the head cook who advertised most of the previous weeks menus in the encrusted stains on his chef's 'whites'. The food there was often so inedible that we were frequent visitors to the Hong Kong Garden take-away down the road.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 05:36
^is that a joke?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 05:39
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by Angelo Angelo wrote:

Mars or Milky Way, who cares - it just kills your teeth, and your appetite.
you're right Angie, it does, but my trick (though I rarely eat candy much anymore) is swishing out my mouth with warm water after something like that; cuts the lingering sugar in the mouth

Crisps are worse than  sugar. They stick in  the teeth and  are  not as easily washed  away
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 05:56
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^is that a joke?
The YMCA was on Perry Street, Chislehurst and was home to the apprentices working at MoD establishments in Sevenoaks and Bromley; the Hong Kong Garden take-away was situated on Chislehurst High Street and was basically the only affordable eating establishment in that bastion of middle-class South London suburbia. Chislehurst was also the home town of Susan Ballion, who found fame initially as part of the Bromley Contingent and then as Siouxsie Sioux of the Siouxsie and the Banshees, their breakthrough hit single was written about the aforementioned Chinese take-away.

I kid you not.
What?
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2013 at 06:00
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

^is that a joke?
The YMCA was on Perry Street, Chislehurst and was home to the apprentices working at MoD establishments in Sevenoaks and Bromley; the Hong Kong Garden take-away was situated on Chislehurst High Street and was basically the only affordable eating establishment in that bastion of middle-class South London suburbia. Chislehurst was also the home town of Susan Ballion, who found fame initially as part of the Bromley Contingent and then as Siouxsie Sioux of the Siouxsie and the Banshees, their breakthrough hit single was written about the aforementioned Chinese take-away.

I kid you not.

That is brilliant, Dean.Thumbs Up
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2013 at 00:02
Made meatloaf--  not the best I've ever made, too much cumin and not enough salt.  Live and learn.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2013 at 23:48
Fresh-made falafel tonight in pita bread with hummus, cucumber and tomato; if you've never tried making your own falafel from a box mix, you must try it, it's easy.   You just mix with a little water, let sit ten minutes, fry in 1/2 inch olive oil till golden on both sides, and stuff into pita with whatever toppings you like.   Puts falafel from the deli to shame.

Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 18:40
Well, tonight I whipped up a bit of a creamy rice soup......wild rice, onion, celery, mushroom, almonds, and a bit of lager beer for some character.........not bad, it got a thumbs up from the missus, who doesn't lie to me if she thinks it sucks.   LOL

Edited by Finnforest - March 24 2013 at 20:02

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 18:55
 ^ no cream? Ermm  Smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2013 at 20:01
oh yes, the liquid of the soup is water, chicken stock, flour, and cream (i used half/half today).  salt, pepper, I think that covers it!

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2013 at 20:21
The past week has been a baking frenzy in the kitchen, starting with banana and walnut cake, then Hot Cross Buns (and some Hot Pentangle Buns for a giggle) and iced easter biscuits, then a mixed fruit and chocolate cake, a lemon curd pavlova, a hollowed-out orange filled with stripes of tangerine jelly and vanilla panacotta, some raspberry marshmallows and a wheat-free lemon drizzle cake (the last three taken to work to share with my collegues... only 8 people in the office because of the Easter holiday but food soon disappeared).

Yesterday Debs treated me to a birthday lunch at a pub. The pub in question was Tom Kerridge's two Michelin stared Hand And Flowers in Marlow and the food was sublime, while other chefs are telling us to keep it simple and use few ingredients Kerridge manages to throw dozens of different tastes and flavours into a dish without one over-powering the other - very skillful and very clever. 

Tonka Bean Panna Cotta, with Poached Rhubarb, Ginger Wine Jelly, Cinder Toffee, Meringue and Rhubarb Sorbet (plus some leaves I couldn't identify)
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2013 at 23:58
 ^ fantastic

made my 3-bean salad tonight with a nice mustard vinaigrette

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 09:43
Day off today. 
Will be cooking a hotdish and baking some fresh bread to go with it.  Making fudge for dessert.  This should help the Missus deal with the fact that we have yet another April snowstorm headed with way, making this one of the coldest and snowiest Aprils on record. 

6-9" of the white stuff coming overnight.  Please send us some global warming, we're ready for spring.  The robins are trying to find worms through the snow, they're pissed.  We'll be eating fudge and dreaming of daffodils. 

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2013 at 10:19
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Day off today. 
Will be cooking a hotdish and baking some fresh bread to go with it.  Making fudge for dessert.  This should help the Missus deal with the fact that we have yet another April snowstorm headed with way, making this one of the coldest and snowiest Aprils on record. 

6-9" of the white stuff coming overnight.  Please send us some global warming, we're ready for spring.  The robins are trying to find worms through the snow, they're pissed.  We'll be eating fudge and dreaming of daffodils. 

6-9"?  Dead

Just narrowly avoided a frost last night, of course after we got the tomato and strawberry plants in the ground.  Next year I'm waiting until May 1 to be a little bit safer.

Nothing too exciting this weekend on the cooking front - Saturday was a foil packet of turbot fillet (a white fish) with olive oil, lemon, thyme, and sea salt.  It was delicious.  Had it with raw baby spinach and Israeli couscous.

Edited by Padraic - April 22 2013 at 10:19
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2013 at 21:21
Once again making fresh falafel.. and once again if you haven't tried making them from a mix and frying them up fresh, on a pita with hummus, cucs and toms, you must.   So much better than anything at any deli or street vendor it's not funny.

Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 04:26
Yesterday's food section has a pan fried version made with fava beans and panko that looks really nice...
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 05:13
Yesterday afternoon I baked gingerbread in the bread-maker.

Once the bread-maker had cooled and all the washable bits washed, I set it up to make a spiced fruit-loaf overnight ready for breakfast this morning as nothing tops being woken by the smell of fresh-baked bread - and sure enough before the bedside alarm had chance to rudely ping 7am the unmistakable aroma wafted up the stairs and gently aroused me from my slumber. For once the transition from bed to slippers and dressing gown was a leap not a fall and in spite the rain that rattled off the bedroom window, a day that starts right is going to be a good day. Or so I thought, but alas no - on lifting the lid the sight that met me was one of unmitigated disaster - a burnt, semi-congealed mess of un-mixed ingredients, the aroma was merely the final attempt of the fruit and spices to attain meaning to their short but sorry life before being roasted to cinders on top of a crust of baked flour and melted sugar... next time I will try and remember to fit the mixing paddle into the machine before I add the ingredients. Ouch

Edited by Dean - April 26 2013 at 05:13
What?
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 05:25

Sorry Dean, but that is funny...

...and yes, I've done it, too

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
zeqexes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2013 at 05:48
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Once again making fresh falafel.. and once again if you haven't tried making them from a mix and frying them up fresh, on a pita with hummus, cucs and toms, you must.   So much better than anything at any deli or street vendor it's not funny.

So true.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2013 at 13:20
Did some cinnamon/sugar rolls from scratch, and doing a "chow mein hotdish" for tonight. 

Working very hard at becoming the kind of "no recipe" cook that my Grandmas were....they didn't used recipes or set quantities of ingredients, they used intuition and it was almost artistic.  I can see the early signs that developing that style is not impossible.  Trial and error, but today's efforts proved to me I can do it. 

I also have decided against the breadmaker.  I really enjoy the process of kneading and crafting the bread/rolls with my hands, and using that time as a kind of relaxation.  It's a way of slowing down my life that I like.  I remember watching my Grandmas cook as a tiny tot and in some ways it is a connection all these years later.  And I don't want another appliance to store and keep clean.

Heather bought an amazing bottle of wine.  We eat well tonight folks.  Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 156>