FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 06:06
the custard is made with milk already, I guess you could dilute it with more milk to make it go further but it would taste weaker, Custard-based ice creams are a standard method of making ice cream in the UK (something the EU monkey's get hot and bothered about as they contain no cream per sey and we're supposed to call them frozen custards, but to hell with Brussels LOL)
That tub of custard normally retails at just under £2, the same "product" as ice cream retails at £4 - what I bought was reduced to £0.59 a tub.

What?
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 06:13
I see, yeah much of the ice cream here has some egg yolks in it but no one cares because it tastes good.  Though I also love a strictly milk or cream/milk blend, I notice the ice cream brands I like tend to not add egg.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 06:47
^ true, they add some other emulsifiers and thickening agents, the branded stuff I buy to make milkshakes uses vegetable fats, bean gum and guar gum ... of course all those are also know by their E-numbers, which are all perfectly natural products but still manage to send the health-conscious into a flat spin. LOL
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 22:18
Yep, it's like the corn syrup scare of 2012, I kept telling my mum "It's just sugar from corn instead of sugarcane", but it was too late, the bad rep had taken (even though I do much prefer regular sugar to corn sweetener).

Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2014 at 22:40
I'd like to think that custard will factor into Dean's vote in the EU membership referendum.  LOL
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 00:01
Delicious corned beef & cabbage tonight, it also had potatoes and carrots and Gulden's mustard went beautifully with it.   Cherry soda to drink.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2014 at 23:45
more corned beef tonight, nice and fatty just the way I like it
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2014 at 09:08
Applesauce.  My brother in law has given me some crabapples from his tree up in the Boundary Waters of northern MN.  There must be something in the soil in that area.  The apples have more complexity somehow, a slightly more biting acidity or something, beyond just the increased sourness of crabapples. 

I've experimented a bit with these apples and found by omitting the white sugar and using all brown sugar, the caramelly side effect works well to tone down some of the intense sourness.  Then add a bit of cinnamon post cooking if you like that. 

Tastes great plain, with cottage cheese, or over waffles/pancakes. 

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 01 2014 at 03:20
^ love fresh applesauce-- I had relatives in Vermont that had crabapples too but they were too bitter to use when I was there in the summer

Simple tonight:  rubbed a chicken breast with olive oil, chipotle powder, garlic, s&p, broiled until crispy dark golden brown- makes a nice sauce for rice too

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 02 2014 at 19:21
That sounds awesome David...simple is good

zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 19:08
I work in my family's restaurant where we make most everything from scratch and every month we get a slew of restaurant/cooking/management magazines. There are only a few I enjoy looking through but there is one in particular that I actually look forward too. The magazine is called Cooks Country, but they also have a show on PBS called Americas Test Kitchen. Tested and re-tested, fool proof, well thought out recipes each accompanied by a short story of the history of the dish as well as all the trial and error that occurred to get to the final recipe. I have never had a bad meal from anything I've made using their advice. Also each issue has helpful kitchen tips, reviews of commonly bought grocery store items, and reviews of kitchen tools/gadgets. I just made their Deviled Beef Shortribs which were amazing. The recipe was accompanied by a brief history of why they called things deviled i.e (deviled ham/eggs/ etc...) Sorry if I came off like a bit like a spokesman but it is really that good. I've given subscriptions to the magazine as birthday and Christmas presents, and while at first they thought it was the lamest gift ever, after they read the first issue or two they always thank me. Once again not a spokesman, just a diehard fan of great food.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 19:15
Zach, Test Kitchen is a great show!  We watch it every week here and are often inspired to cook fresh food because of it.  Chris is a great host....Cool   Welcome to the Chefs thread by the way....feel free to stay and share your family recipes with us

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 21:29
hi Zach--   i get Cooks Illustrated each month, not sure if that's the mag you mean but it is from the Test Kitchen show and has great recipes.

zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 21:49
I know that both Cooks Illustrated and Cooks Country are published by the sane people. Cooks Country is also a show on PBS whereas CI is a every 2 month magazine. We get both mags, but I prefer Cooks Country, and use the name synonymously. I'll get back to on the recipes from my restaurant, I don't know them by heart and will break them down for personal use not industrial size batches... whatdya want? We house make all our dressing except 1000. Have great desserts (Cheesecake,Carrot Cake, Peanutbutter Pie) or also have very good soup recipes. A very popular soup is African Chicken Peanut, that'll probably be the first recipe I break down...

Edited by zachfive - April 03 2014 at 21:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:05
rubbed a NY strip with a fat garlic clove, some olive oil, s&p and fried it in an iron skillet till pink inside and crusty outside, made a pan sauce with Worcestershire and had kimchi on the side

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 13 2014 at 23:47
Wild morel mushrooms, veal stock, fried shallots, red wine vinegar , thyme and pepper. This sauce was then delicately placed on some home made gnocchi. Ridiculous! Glass of Brunello di Montalcino . 

I have been in the upscale food business since 1975, so I cook for my friends and family. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 00:11
oh that does sound ridiculous
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 08:57
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Zach, Test Kitchen is a great show!  We watch it every week here and are often inspired to cook fresh food because of it.  Chris is a great host....Cool   Welcome to the Chefs thread by the way....feel free to stay and share your family recipes with us

Yes love both ATK and Cooks' Country.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2014 at 13:46
Ok, I seriously have a problem with people preparing prawns.
I love watching programs like "Come dine with me" but my stomach turns when I see people cooking large prawns without deveining them first, that's very poisonous just as bad if not worse as salmonella poisoning. The only prawns that one does not need to devein are the tiny prawns/shrimp that are the size of worms. Pinch  
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2014 at 19:12
We made some fresh bread earlier  using Julia Child's recipe. Pretty easy to do, and tastes wonderful hot & fresh with some real butter on it. Going to make a grilled cheese using Muenster in a bit.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 141142143144145 156>