FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 22:15
Made meatloaf w/ mash and pickled red cabbage--  added some ground pork to the beef and used wholewheat breadcrumbs, and a cumin/ketchup glaze

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 22:24
^oh yeah!   i love a great meatloaf!   I gotta try making one someday.

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2014 at 23:37
 ^ it's just ground meat, breadcrumbs, an egg, s&p --  that's it, everything else is taste; onions, peppers, Worcestershire, etc., in a hot oven till cooked through

take the meatloaf plunge Jim !!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 21:15
Three Bean salad tonight; garbanzos, kidneys, greenbeans, sliced onion, parsley, and a honey/mustard vinaigrette.. tasty, with a buttered baguette

the key is to let the mixture sit in the fridge for at least a few hours so the flavors can come together
*frinspar* View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 21:42
Bought an electric smoker today.
I've had a small wood smoker for several years, and getting a consistent result has been impossible.
Propane seem to have their difficulties as well, so electric it is. Still boxed up on the back porch, but right now I'm trying to pick the first meat I'll slow cook in that sucker. Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2014 at 21:45
^ Let us know.   Can you smoke anything with it?  Fruit, cheese, etc .?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2014 at 17:47
Very good question. And I don't know. LOL
Cheese, maybe. It's got a very low base temp setting, and only goes up to 275F.

Right now I'm seasoning it. Have to do that before first use. Gotta let it run on high for a few hours, and add some chips the last 45 minutes.
Picked up an 11-pound pork butt last night that I'll chop in half to make more manageable as far as time goes. Gonna pull it apart and make sandwiches, tacos, whatever I want. Big smile

*ETA*

Watched a youtube video and read around, and I've had the world of smokers opened up to me. LOL I will definitely be smoking some cheese in mine now. Also going to smoke some kosher salt. Sounds like it can add a nice punch to some foods.

Edited by *frinspar* - June 08 2014 at 19:01
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 04:19
Originally posted by *frinspar* *frinspar* wrote:

Very good question. And I don't know. LOL
Cheese, maybe. It's got a very low base temp setting, and only goes up to 275F.

Right now I'm seasoning it. Have to do that before first use. Gotta let it run on high for a few hours, and add some chips the last 45 minutes.
Picked up an 11-pound pork butt last night that I'll chop in half to make more manageable as far as time goes. Gonna pull it apart and make sandwiches, tacos, whatever I want. Big smile

*ETA*

Watched a youtube video and read around, and I've had the world of smokers opened up to me. LOL I will definitely be smoking some cheese in mine now. Also going to smoke some kosher salt. Sounds like it can add a nice punch to some foods.
One of the first things I ever cooked on my charcoal smoker was pork butt - dry rubbed with paprika and other assorted herbs 24 hours before being slow cooked for 10 hours over apple wood. Using it for cold-smoking is a little hit-and-miss as it's difficult to keep the wood-dust smouldering for the length of time required, but it hot-smokes to perfection.

My forays into making an electric smoker (it's detailed in this thread somewhere) failed miserably - I miss-read 250 degrees as C not F and melted the heater.

As there is only two of us at home now I've treated myself a Cobb table-top cooker, but despite of its small size easily can cook enough food for four people:

An brilliant piece of kit that can be sat on the table (the outside doesn't get hot at all) and can cook practically anything (even cakes) using a just tiny amount of charcoal so you don't end up with carbonated food and smoked guests (and it doesn't roast the nether-regions of the chef either). The appeal for me is I don't have to play the macho barbecue-king as everyone can cook their own food just as they like it.

The little cook-book that came with it has some great recipes, including a cracking one for caramelised onions (1 finely sliced onion lightly sautéed in a little oil, then add 1 part sugar, 1 part red wine vinegar and 2 parts red wine and slowly braised until they turn to a jam-like consistency) - absolutely wonderful as a warm sticky topping for a bbq'd burger. And there's another for some yummy corn cakes (basic pancake batter [egg flour milk] with softened onion and corn kernels and a little grated cheddar cheese, spoonfuls dropped onto a hot pan and fried on both sides).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FB friends will have already seen the apricot tart I made on Friday:

...not very much of that left now, I'll probably polish it off for lunch.

I also made yoghurt ice-cream over the weekend, served with home-made meringues and a tangy lemon sauce, added a side of thinly sliced strawberries, grapes and blueberries that had been macerated for 20 minutes in touch of red-wine and a little sugar. It was an ideal end to a superbly hot weekend here in the south of England.

Edited by Dean - June 09 2014 at 04:32
What?
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2014 at 20:40
Dean, that apricot tart is incredibly beautiful....wow.  I'd love to try it. 

Frins...smoked stuff, as much as I like the taste, really messes me up.  I almost always get a stomach ache when I eat smoked food in any quantity.    But good luck with it!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 00:55
Dean, that cooker looks really interesting. And that tart....made me drool. Sorry. lol

The pork butt came out amazingly well. Tasted great on a bun with some spicy sauce.
Made tacos with it tonight. Used small flour tortillas, poured some Cholula hot sauce on the shredded pork, topped with cabbage and a pico de gallo my wife made.

As for the cheese, I couldn't stand it and ran out earlier to grab several cheeses and some apple wood chips to try. It's better to do in cooler weather or at night, and only takes a couple of hours, so I tried it tonight. Just started the second round of smoking.
This is the batch right before closing the door and starting the process.

The collection is:

Mild cheddar
Irish cheddar
Mozzarella
Emmental
Muenster
Fontina
Monterrey Jack
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 05:04
That electric smoker looks amazing, but I must resist the urge to check them out.

Yum! I love smoked cheese. One of those cheeses (Muenster?) looks already smoked but I guess the rind is just coloured with annatto or some other food dye. 

In fact I love just about anything smoked (sorry finspar, you've hit on my pet cooking subject, or one of them anyway)

Cold-smoked trout is pretty awesome too - a more delicate flavour than salmon so needs gentle smoking, being unable to keep my wood-dust smouldering in the charcoal smoker for more than a couple of hours at a time make it ideal for trout but not much else. Except perhaps mushrooms that is - get several large portabello mushrooms and smoke them whole for a few hours - sliced and fried these are terrific with a fry-up.

There are a few other home-cured meats I've always wanted to cold-smoke but they never seem to last long enough in our house for me to smoke them, the bacon gets used as soon as it is ready, as does the cured duck-breast and the salt-beef. I've a slab of top-side beef that's been dry-cured and is now slowly air-drying but as this is my first attempt at making bresaola I want to try it unsmoked first.

I'm almost tempted to buy another electric hotplate so I can convert my charcoal smoker into an electric cold-smoker. I always seem to get bitten by the cold-smoking bug just as the outside temperatures get too hot for cold-smoking, perhaps I should wait until autumn.

Following a recommendation from Brian (Slarti) earlier in this thread I bought a Camerons Stovetop smoker which I find indispensable for quick hot-smoking (nothing that takes more than 20 minutes to cook - so duck and salmon are ideal, chicken may need a few minutes longer in the oven to cook-through). I still haven't tried smoking potatoes in it yet (the main reason for buying it really). The only problem with it is I bought the large one and should have got the "mini" instead as it takes up over half the stove top, so if I'm only cooking a couple of salmon steaks for our bento lunch boxes I'll use a wok ... and smoke them using a black tea such as lapsang souchong rather than wood chips.
What?
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 10:34
Around Thanksgiving time (November) a local farm sells smoked capons - most amazing poultry I've ever had the pleasure of eating.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 10:45
Having just got back from Devon/Cornwall, we made our usual pilgrimage to Philip Warren butchers in Launceston on the last day to fill the cooler bags (and empty the bank account):

If you're ever in the area, check them out - easy to find, as there's always a queue outside the door. A proper old-school butcher's shop where if you order a few days beforehand you can buy a half-lamb (local), ready butchered to your needs for about £55 - that's about 30 pounds of meat... even if you pop in for a browse, I defy you to come out without wanting to buy everything on show.

[edit]

Particularly recommend the beef BTW, as this is sourced from the organic beef farm where we rent holiday cottages on when we're in the area.

Edited by Jim Garten - June 11 2014 at 10:54

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:42
Originally posted by Jim Garten Jim Garten wrote:

Having just got back from Devon/Cornwall, we made our usual pilgrimage to Philip Warren butchers in Launceston on the last day to fill the cooler bags (and empty the bank account):

If you're ever in the area, check them out - easy to find, as there's always a queue outside the door. A proper old-school butcher's shop where if you order a few days beforehand you can buy a half-lamb (local), ready butchered to your needs for about £55 - that's about 30 pounds of meat... even if you pop in for a browse, I defy you to come out without wanting to buy everything on show.

[edit]

Particularly recommend the beef BTW, as this is sourced from the organic beef farm where we rent holiday cottages on when we're in the area.

No shipment to America.  :(

Wink

Looks like an amazing place, incredible price for that lamb as well - enjoy Jim.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 12:47
"Delivery price which be updated at checkout" ....the website which be having a Cornish accent.  LOL
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 15:17
I'd love to have a butcher shop like that to buy from. There's a place called Dickman's that sells good meats, but they're not as close as I'd like and I think a bit high.

I'd thought of trying fish just to try it, but neither of us much like fish, so it'd be a waste.

The cheese turned out nicely.

For the most part. Embarrassed

The softer cheeses on top (mozzarella & muenster) did fine the first round of smoking. The second, I guess it got a bit too warm in there and they started giving way to gravity. LOL I didn't take a picture of those, they're not terribly pretty. Still in one piece, just...ugly.
Of course, I live in a desert and it was about 105 yesterday afternoon, so it wasn't exactly a cool night. Tongue

I've vacuum sealed all the chunks and have to let them rest in the fridge for a week. I did try a couple, and the Jack tasted really good already.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 18:55

There's a place called Dickman's that sells good meats, but they're not as close as I'd like and I think a bit high.

With a name like Dickman's, I'd keep a close eye on the galantine.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2014 at 20:00
Yup. You grow up with a name like Dickman, and decide to be a butcher.  LOL

True story, my mom was a nurse for a urologist named Dr. Dick Chopp.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:20
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

"Delivery price which be updated at checkout" ....the website which be having a Cornish accent.  LOL

Never noticed that - excellent.

Edited by Jim Garten - June 12 2014 at 02:21

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2014 at 02:28

Yup. You grow up with a name like Dickman, and decide to be a butcher.  LOL

True story, my mom was a nurse for a urologist named Dr. Dick Chopp.

Ouch--  I had two surly gym teachers named Rough and Callus, but Dick Chopp takes the cake.  This him ? --
http://www.urologyteam.com/?q=dr-richard-chopp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 143144145146147 156>