FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg Chefs Unite!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 156>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2015 at 18:24
That does sound wonderful.  We were lazy and went out for Thai.  I had a seafood ginger stir fry, the ginger was amazingly strong and pungent. 

jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 08 2015 at 08:42
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

see Prog Chefs Unite!!! thread.

Eh, eh ! I enjoy eating but no particular taste for exotic food.

Frozen vegs + garlic + onion + lentilles, sometimes broth.
Salad + mustard, vinegar, oil (colza/sunflower/peanut), apiaceas, brasiccaceas, fabaceas or all kinds, always in water...
Eggs (srambled, omelette), tofu, (rarely) a steak, tuna fish, fish sticks.
Sauce: tomato, garlic, onion is the only sauce. No sauce ever on meat. Only a bit of salt.

Brownish bread morsels eaten with a gulp of apple juice (or an apple); dipped into hot watered egg's yolk, or dipped into a puree of microwave-heaten fruits.
White cheese dipped in joghourt, with egg's white. I "discovered" whipping white cheese into foam but rarely use it. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 12:01
Student whateversroundthekitchen "snail pizza":

Common pasta dough (puff pastry is another way to go) wrapped around a mixture of roasted mushrooms (butter, garlic, salt, pepper, - finish off with balsamic vinegar. Oh and let those guys do their thing on their own. No need to stir that bugger unnecessary, unless you want them to boil instead of roast), prosciutto/ham/whatev meat, a packet of cream cheese, dijon mustard and possibly some herbs. Season to taste.
I tend to make two cylinders that look a bit like snails, pop em in the oven until they're done - wip up a salad with a vinaigrette or a creme fraiche dressing, and by the time the snail is done I'm already on my second glass of wine. Easy peasy japanese, but very good and cheap. 
All kinds of mushrooms can be used, plus there's thousands of ways to change up the recipe (I often make a strong oil based chilli on the side to give it a bit of a kick.)

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2015 at 12:05
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 12:30
Sounds interesting David, I haven't quite got my head around what these snail-shapes look like but the rolled pizza called a stromboli sounds similar.

At the moment, I've four chicken thighs that have marinating in half a tub of spiced buttermilk overnight. Later this evening I'll coat them in flour that's been seasoned with herbs and more spices before deep frying them. These will be seriously more tasty than KFC. An unhealthy indulgence I admit, but I don't have it too often and at least I can use free-range chicken and serve it with salad and freshly made slaw (in fact I have a celeriac and can make remoulade instead ... and now I've typed that it sounds delicious, so I probably will). 

The remaining half tub of buttermilk will be used to make some soda bread for tomorrow lunchtime's bread and cheese.

Edited by Dean - February 16 2015 at 12:30
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 12:41
LOL
Stromboli is pretty close. It's just that I tend to make this with puff pastry but have only recently switched to pizza dough. Funny I haven't made the Stromboli connection myself.
The name? I'm not sure what to tell you....maybe I should've said pizza slug instead. Makes sense in Danish (or maybe I'm mad. probably a bit of both).

Those chicken legs sound absolutely delicious. I must try that sometime. 
Oh and I've officially stopped visiting KFC, McDonald's, Burger King - all those places. If I want fast food, I'll swing by the Iranian shawarma house that serves quality lamb meat and not the usual faux beef substitute.

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:10
Recently I've been making batches of spiced honey-roast cashew nuts. These are amazingly moreish and I recommend you have to try making them yourselves.

1. Place 120g of whole cashews on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment. 
  2. Roast for 10 mins in a medium-hot oven (160°C).
  3. Meanwhile, mix 1 teaspoon of chilli powder and ½ teaspoon of salt into 1 tablespoon of honey (around 25g at a guess). 
  4. Then lightly beat 1 egg white so it becomes frothy and mix that into the spiced honey.
  5. Once the nuts are toasted to a nice golden colour, remove from the oven and mix into the above mixture.
  6. Pour it back onto the baking parchment and spread them out so the nuts aren't touching
  7. Return to the oven for 8 minutes or until the mixture has become dried and slightly brittle
  8. Remove from oven, separate the cashews and allow to cool.
I frequently use them instead of croutons to add crunch to a salad. A batch of these doesn't last very long in our house so I've no idea how long they'd store for in an air-tight container.

You can use any powdered spice instead of chilli - cinnamon is good, masala gives them a "Bombay" edge, paprika adds a smokey flavour and finely chopped rosemary is surprisingly good. I haven't tried ground ginger yet, but there is no reason why it wouldn't work.

You can also use 25g of brown sugar dissolved in a little water instead of honey, or maple syrup (I'd probably leave out the spice if using maple, no point masking the flavour of good quality syrup).

If you don't want to bother with the palaver of separating egg yolk from white and then dividing it by two you can leave it out completely and use a little oil instead. It won't caramelise, but is just as tasty (this is how I used to do it before reading about using egg-white).

You could use other nuts instead of (or as well as) cashews, but I've been hooked on cashews since I was a nipper and see no point in using anything else.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:13
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

LOL
Stromboli is pretty close. It's just that I tend to make this with puff pastry but have only recently switched to pizza dough. Funny I haven't made the Stromboli connection myself.
The name? I'm not sure what to tell you....maybe I should've said pizza slug instead. Makes sense in Danish (or maybe I'm mad. probably a bit of both).

Like a swiss roll?

Q: How do you make a swiss roll?

A: Push him down a mountain.
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:21
Umm nuts - and atjuuuu's as well. Possibly my favourite along with hazels.
I'm stealing that recipe, DeanHandshake

Oh and does anyone here go through periods of time where they simply cannot get enough chilli? I'm developing quite the taste for habañeros at the moment, though with the odd morning where visiting the loo feels like giving birth to the sun. 
Dried, fresh, powders, homemade sauces, flakes, oils you name it and I'm sold. 

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:23

LOL

Like a swiss roll?

Q: How do you make a swiss roll?

A: Push him down a mountain.

LOL
Works with most Danes too.

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:26
As for your question: something close to this, but with (entirely weirder) pieces of pastry/dough inter-webbing at the middle.

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2015 at 14:25

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:26
...it took a while... atjuuuu ... atishoo ... cashew LOL

What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:28

LOL
Works with most Danes too.

MMMMMMmmmmmmmm, Danish

(that's a snail shape to me, albeit a water snail)
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:33
In Danish we use the word 'snegl' for both snails and slugs. I guess it's so close to the British 'snail' that I often use it when I actually mean slugEmbarrassed

My pizza snail/slug/stromboli looks more like this (I even try to mimic the back patternApprove):

Edited by Guldbamsen - February 16 2015 at 13:44

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:34

...it took a while... atjuuuu ... atishoo ... cashew LOL

Ahh nuts

- Douglas Adams
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 13:37
I am definitely stealing that cashew recipe! I am sure a batch wouldn't last long, as Micky loves cashews (and just about any food, reallyLOL).

What they call "stromboli" here in the US is very much like a calzone (generally with a slit on top so that the melted cheese oozes out - hence the name), though in some places they make it in swiss-roll fashion. In any case, it is always made using bread/pizza dough rather than puff pastry.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:06
Agreed Raff - to the extent that I can order a stromboli in one place and a calzone in another and get basically the same thing Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:15
Ever tried a calzone with bearnaise sauce? Me neither, but they exist.

- Douglas Adams
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:27
Here in th UK Calzone is not that common, only one chain pizzarier has them on the menu to my (limited) knowledge, I've never seen Stromboli served anywhere, though one supermarket did sell a ready made one that was pretty unpleasant. I've only ever eaten them in the States and those were rolled. However the slit-top so the cheese can oose out Like lava sounds a very plausible explanation of its naming, though why Stromboli and not Etna is anybody's guess.
What?
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:30
According to Wikipedia, one of the explanations for the name might be the Roberto Rossellini movie starring Ingrid Bergman - which is likely to be true.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 14:51

Here in th UK Calzone is not that common, only one chain pizzarier has them on the menu to my (limited) knowledge, I've never seen Stromboli served anywhere, though one supermarket did sell a ready made one that was pretty unpleasant. I've only ever eaten them in the States and those were rolled. However the slit-top so the cheese can oose out Like lava sounds a very plausible explanation of its naming, though why Stromboli and not Etna is anybody's guess.

It makes perfect sense from a (slightly) modern viewpoint, if you've ever seen the Dame Edna ShowLOL

Although I've seen my fair share of oddly chosen characters associated with Italian cuisine. Back when I lived in Bagsværd (suburb of Copenhagen), there was a pizzaria there named RobocopLOL Great food, but what an odd name! Cool hybrid policeman, pizzas....hmm why the heck not.

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 149150151152153 156>