FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush - Progressive Rock?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 03:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, there's never been any doubt that Rush are a progressive rock band.
ClapClapClapClapClap.chopper you are 100000000000% right.
Nothing can last
there are no second chances.
Never give a day away.
Always live for today.

Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 04:01
Well, everyone should know by now I'm a big Rush fan (my nickname has nothing to do with the recently released movie, and everything with the legendary trio from Toronto), though if you look at my reviews you'll see I'm perfectly capable of being objective.

However, I'd like to say just one thing to those who doubt Rush's progressiveness - are latter-day Porcupine Tree (a great band, and one I enjoy quite a lot), in spite of their longer tracks, so much proggier than Rush in terms of song structure? Do the fantasy-or sci-fi-related lyrical content or the length of the songs really make a band prog, rather than the approach to composition and the ability to reinvent themselves, to incorporate diverse influences into their music and reinterpret them, to never play it safe?

Rush took a big risk with "Vapor Trails", and I think they should be respected for that - much more than those bands who don't seem to be able to do anything but endlessly reproduce their one successful album, or even imitate music that was authentically progressive 30 years ago. Waiting for Rush to release "Hemispheres #2" is, in my humble opinion, not only unrealistic, but not very flattering to the band and their unique outlook on music.
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 08:02
If I progress my musical style from pop to punk does that make me progressive rock?
StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 08 2007 at 08:41
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

If I progress my musical style from pop to punk does that make me progressive rock?

Point taken. But were you progressive rock before pop? (Like Genesis?)

Some might say that is regression!  LOL

Or, if the punk style is difficult to play, and it challenges your abilities, and takes you into a new music writing style, you could be viewed as progressive, but not in the traditional progressive rock vein. Of course, punk isn't really rock, or is it? Nor is pop.

Whats this ambient progressive trance stuff anyway?
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 01:58
Rush prog? Of course! '70s Rush is the prog-metal prototype (others say Deep Purple/ Rainbow).
SoundsofSeasons View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2007 at 19:50
If Rush isn't prog, exactly what is it? Surely you can't say they are mainstream or Pop/Rock just because of Vapor Trails? Look at Snakes and Arrows, it's not that mainstream considering it has 3 instrumentals, and songs like spindrift. Rush is a strange breed, but we love em that way. Don't sell them short by taking them out of a category they've worked hard to put themselves in.
1 Chronicles 13:7-9

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12