Topic ClosedEstradasphere

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Estradasphere
    Posted: March 10 2007 at 20:55
Does any else here like these guys. 

Personally, I love the music they play, and they are quite talented, without becoming rediculous.  It's good to have a bit of humor in your music, too. WinkLOL
[QUOTE=darkshade] [QUOTE=Sckxyss]
I'm disappointed - neither of these players are avant-garde!

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

haha i know. but the poll itself is avant-garde
[/QUOTE]
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 21:03

I recently recommended them in my I Recommend thread. Have their 2006 release Palace of Mirrors and love every eclectic minute of it.

Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 21:04
That's the only album I own, (Though it's not the only I've heard) and I love it too.  I love avantgarde types of bands that don't become Mr. Bungle mimics. 

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 21:06

Have you tried the side project Deserts of Traun?

www.myspace.com/thedesertsoftraun

Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 21:07
No I haven't, but they look amazing.  No doubt in the vein of Estradasphere.  I will definately check these guys out.  Thanks.

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
Prometheus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 23:16
wow...if anyone here is familiar with the song "Ratzinitza" by Azizga (its available somewhere online for free...) take a listen to the iTunes sample of "A Corporate Merger"...someone is copying someone here...its pretty direct
"Tell me why world, unfathomable and good,
The beauty of everything is infinite and cruel."
--Kayo Dot
MusicForSpeedin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2007 at 23:59
There is another band like them called Fish Tank Ensemble.
Also God of Shamisen are amazing and are like estradasphere.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 00:02
Originally posted by MusicForSpeedin MusicForSpeedin wrote:

There is another band like them called Fish Tank Ensemble.
Also God of Shamisen are amazing and are like estradasphere.

Right, I forgot to mention those as well. They are on our voting list (ZART).
Fish Tank Ensemble - http://www.fishtankensemble.com/
God of Shamisen - http://www.godofshamisen.com/  http://www.myspace.com/gos

Rocktopus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:25
From the ones I've know of; Estradesphere's latest and and Yugen's debut are my two favorite progalbums progalbums of '06. The little I've heard of the Estradasphere's (on Myspace) earlier albums sounds just as great.

I'll defenatly check out Fish Tank Ensemble, God of Shamisen and that side project too.
Over land and under ashes
In the sunlight, see - it flashes
Find a fly and eat his eye
But don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
Don't believe in me
laplace View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 09:30
I didn't like God of Shamisen but I guess they do a passable cover of 21st Century Schizoid Man. but Estradasphere are quite brilliant.
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:07

I stumbled upon Estradasphere about two years ago, in a time when I thought I had already discovered just about every crazy thing possible in music (now I'm pretty sure I'm far from that). I was reading a review somewhere and it said something along the lines of "honestly, this must be the best band in the world". I was amused and intrigued and got their first album, It's Understood, to find out what it was about. I was so shocked and hooked that it took me months to get over it and pass on to another album. Now I'm also familiar with Buck Fever and Palace of Mirrors and I have to say all these albums are consistent in quality, although I would say they're getting slightly better and tighter with time. The latest also has the better production of the three.

Their music is insanely diverse and charmingly incoherent in style. They have tracks that are pure symph black metal ("The Silent Elk of Yesterday"), Bregovic-style Balkan brass ensemble madness ("Hungerstrike"), bebop jazz ("Super Buck II"), pure country music ("The Trials and Tribulations of Parking in Your Front Lawn"), industrial experimentation ("The Unfolding Pause on the Threshold"), they have things that sound like an old Nintendo game soundtrack (the various Super Mario "covers" on the first two albums) or like a jazzy soundtrack of a gangster movie ("Buck Fever"), other facets of their style include grindcore ("Burnt Corpse"), Romanian folklore mixed with thrash madness ("Smuggled Mutation") or Hawaiian guitar workouts ("The Terrible Beautypower of Meow"), as well as many other tracks masterfully combining all these ("The Return") and much more.

It should be said that, in spite of the hilarious track titles and general "don't take us seriously" attitude, everything is performed with complete professionalism and flawless musicianship, most of the time nothing short of amazing. You can probably tell I'm in love with this band. I have to say it's one of my most intriguing discoveries and I think anyone (except prog dinosaurs maybe) should listen to them and rejoice.

They'll be touring Europe this spring (see the "Prog events" section of the forum for details) and I suspect they are unbelievable in concert... Unfortunately, they have only one show in Germany and it's much too far away from where I live for me to afford it, but at least I have my Palace of Mirrors T-shirt and I intend to wear all summer long for the whole world to see, even if no one will actually know what the name Estradasphere means. Their loss. Smile
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:14
Originally posted by Prometheus Prometheus wrote:

wow...if anyone here is familiar with the song "Ratzinitza" by Azizga (its available somewhere online for free...) take a listen to the iTunes sample of "A Corporate Merger"...someone is copying someone here...its pretty direct

You should pay a visit to the Balkan area and familiarize yourself with some authentic folklore. Wink That's a pretty common variation on a theme played in 7/8 that is typical, I think, to the former Yugoslavian area (or maybe Bulgaria?), although I may be wrong. It's not Romanian for sure, but it could be any of the other two... anyway, it's pretty common stuff.
Azigza simply play around the theme for a few minutes basically, while Estrdasphere only use it as a starting point for a more extended piece, they deconstruct it and introduce different time signatures, other themes, they proceed to improvise freely around it and, towards the end, they go into thrash mode and end up sounding like Meshuggah with violin... so it's much more than the Azigza guys must have thought of. Tongue
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
AngelRat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 10:28
I have the 'Buck Fever' cd and although I don't listen to it very often, I do enjoy it very much.
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 11:20
I've been checking'em out lately and will definitely buy some stuff with them soon!
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 12:36
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

I stumbled upon Estradasphere about two years ago, in a time when I thought I had already discovered just about every crazy thing possible in music (now I'm pretty sure I'm far from that). I was reading a review somewhere and it said something along the lines of "honestly, this must be the best band in the world". I was amused and intrigued and got their first album, It's Understood, to find out what it was about. I was so shocked and hooked that it took me months to get over it and pass on to another album. Now I'm also familiar with Buck Fever and Palace of Mirrors and I have to say all these albums are consistent in quality, although I would say they're getting slightly better and tighter with time. The latest also has the better production of the three.

Their music is insanely diverse and charmingly incoherent in style. They have tracks that are pure symph black metal ("The Silent Elk of Yesterday"), Bregovic-style Balkan brass ensemble madness ("Hungerstrike"), bebop jazz ("Super Buck II"), pure country music ("The Trials and Tribulations of Parking in Your Front Lawn"), industrial experimentation ("The Unfolding Pause on the Threshold"), they have things that sound like an old Nintendo game soundtrack (the various Super Mario "covers" on the first two albums) or like a jazzy soundtrack of a gangster movie ("Buck Fever"), other facets of their style include grindcore ("Burnt Corpse"), Romanian folklore mixed with thrash madness ("Smuggled Mutation") or Hawaiian guitar workouts ("The Terrible Beautypower of Meow"), as well as many other tracks masterfully combining all these ("The Return") and much more.

It should be said that, in spite of the hilarious track titles and general "don't take us seriously" attitude, everything is performed with complete professionalism and flawless musicianship, most of the time nothing short of amazing. You can probably tell I'm in love with this band. I have to say it's one of my most intriguing discoveries and I think anyone (except prog dinosaurs maybe) should listen to them and rejoice.

They'll be touring Europe this spring (see the "Prog events" section of the forum for details) and I suspect they are unbelievable in concert... Unfortunately, they have only one show in Germany and it's much too far away from where I live for me to afford it, but at least I have my Palace of Mirrors T-shirt and I intend to wear all summer long for the whole world to see, even if no one will actually know what the name Estradasphere means. Their loss. Smile

Great description. If I wasn't a fan already and know them, I would have immediately gone and bought it, solely on your post.
You should turn this into a review.

Drakk View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 14:44
Yeah, someone should write a few reviews for Estradasphere, it could make them more known among the site members.

Al di Meola.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]
con safo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 14:54
Great band. Palace of Mirrors was one of my fav's of 06
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 15:13
AVestin, thanks. Yeah, I thought it sounded a bit like a review. Smile I never conciously start writing a review usually, since I always feel I don't have time for it, but... I might just do that tonight.

Edited by Uroboros - March 11 2007 at 17:26
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 17:26
Ok, I did it. Smile I expanded (a lot) and turned it into a review for Palace of Mirrors. Surprisingly, the album had a lot of good ratings already, but no review. I'm really glad I did this.
Although... Ouch I seem to have a serious problem with setting the review outline. The first time I wrote one, I couldn't divide the text into paragraphs. This time I read the guidelines, but to no effect... Somehow I managed to submit the whole review written in bold AND italics. It looks awful and I would really need someone to help me edit it. Now I think I finally know what I did wrong... Cry
Sorry for being off-topic.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2007 at 17:30
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Ok, I did it. Smile I expanded (a lot) and turned it into a review for Palace of Mirrors. Surprisingly, the album had a lot of good ratings already, but no review. I'm really glad I did this.
Although... Ouch I seem to have a serious problem with setting the review outline. The first time I wrote one, I couldn't divide the text into paragraphs. This time I read the guidelines, but to no effect... Somehow I managed to submit the whole review written in bold AND italics. It looks awful and I would really need someone to help me edit it. Now I think I finally know what I did wrong... Cry
Sorry for being off-topic.

PM (or post in the reviews section) Atkingani (Guigo) and tell him about this and he will happily assist you and edit your review to your satisfaction.

Kuddos on reviewing the album!

Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>