FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedgraphic equalizers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: graphic equalizers
    Posted: March 16 2004 at 18:06
on a more seriuos note i used to use graphic equalizers quite a bit for old tapes etc but with recording technology improving and the longevity of cds i find myself using them less do you think equalizers are necessary or not? 
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 18:23

With CD's you don't have a breakdown of the source material. An equalized is just needed to soundscape your stereo system. Remember, Each disc was recorded differently, bass, midrange and treble, are never then same on every album, unless it was produced by Roy Thomas Baker, of course.

So, Yes, your Equalizer is a necessary component. Some stereo's come with preset equalizers, so you just push a button or you can set your own. 

Did I just confuse you?

dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 19:37
no!! not confused at all i do find cds a little ""toppy" myself (what i like to call the"Elton John Effect") and i do play around a little with the higher frequencies but i am not to fussy about it and usually it is just set and forget, my brother on the other hand is partly deaf and it is interesting to see him reach for the equalizer to lift up the mid-high range!! so yes i do agree they are a handy adjunct to the sound system for many reasons

Edited by dude
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2004 at 20:18
Newer stereo Equipment is much more sophisticated then the 8-track crap I grew up with. My car stereo's got pre-sets. I've found that certain CD's sound better with certain pre-sets. Mix and Match. Ugh, Techology. 
Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2004 at 01:05

I still use my equalizer quite a lot.

There are a lot of AAD CD's in my collection that could have stood getting the remaster treatment.

Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2004 at 03:08
I used to use an equalizer, but when I upgraded my system a few years back, the amp & speakers I bought just seemed to make it redundant - I've now had the system 4/5 years & the only control I ever touch on the amp is the volume (occasionally I may adjust the settings on the sub-woofer, but that's about it).

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2004 at 16:20

No, No, No - NEVER, ever use a dreaded equaliser. NEVER, ever use tone controls. All they do is corrupt the signal thats getting to the speakers. If it sounds awful without the equaliser/tone control, then the hi-fi is not up to the task.

I used to be an advocate of both until I upgraded my system to a state where I was finally satisfied. You will find that when you get to a certain quality of hi-fi, you will actually start to "hear" the music properly - you should be able to pick out any instrument and follow it's passage clearly - distinguishing it from all others. You will then realise how dreadful the sound was whilst muddying it up with the equaliser/tone controls.

It all depends how particular you are with the quality of the sound - and I am exceedingly picky. If you don't believe me then go to your nearest independant hi-fi store and book yourself a listen on a decent bit of kit. Ok, it can be expensive but when it's that important....besides you don't have to do it in one go - upgrading your kit can be great fun.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 02:04

Sounds like good (but costly) advice, Scafell!

Food for thought....

Now, could you convince my wife that food, shelter, heat and clothing are not such high priorities?Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2004 at 03:39

Food ?? Who the hell wants to eat ? Need a change of priorities Peter.

Joking aside, yes, it can be expensive, and it has been for me. I wouls stress, however, that it has taken me 25 yrs of listening/upgrading to reach my current state of nirvana. Patience!

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2004 at 15:30

Originally posted by Scafell Scafell wrote:

No, No, No - NEVER, ever use a dreaded equaliser. NEVER, ever use tone controls. All they do is corrupt the signal thats getting to the speakers. If it sounds awful without the equaliser/tone control, then the hi-fi is not up to the task.

I'm sorry Scafell, but I'm going to have to disagree with you fundamentally on this.

I have CD's that are all of 20 years old now.  On some of them the production and transfer is, shall we say - less than perfect?  On some of those I had the original vinyl and so a knowledge of what the original sounded like.  Until such time as I can get around to replacing them with a disk that has a better or remastered copy of the original music, if I can enjoy them more by tweaking the equalizer....

Then I will.  <SMILIE>

As an aside, a truly good equalizer really does not audibly adversely effect the signal between the source and the amplifier (or the pre-amp and the amp) beyond the users input.....

At least if you've spent 40 some odd years and change subjecting your ears to firearms discharges, unmuffled turbocharged diesel tractors, NASCAR late model stock cars and the occasional rock concert or dance club.

<SMILIE>

Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 01:01
Hmm - given that it comes between the amp and the speakers and NOT between the source and the amp!!
Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 01:09

And I have to reiterate - if you are tweaking to improve the sound of an old poor recording then you are obviously interferring with the signal. If it does improve with equaliser then you must do what you can - it's your listening pleasure after all. I now have a good system and you just don't need to tweak it one bit. As long as each component in the chain is of high quality then there is no need - and that includes all cabling.

You cant improve on the quality of old recordings - after all a good hi-fi will only accentuate the recorded sound - good OR bad. But I'll bet that a combination of good amp/source/speakers will have a better sonic effect than one with an equaliser in the equation.

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 13:19

Hmm - given that it comes between the amp and the speakers and NOT between the source and the amp!!

We obviously live in completely different worlds if you are somehow managing to wire your graphic equalizer between your amp and your speakers.

No offense, but I suspect that if you can make that statement you have no idea what I am talking about and have never seen the device in question.

Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 16:52

Yeah right - you live with it sunshine - stay in muddy sound

Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 16:57

It's up to everyone here to use what kit they like - and it does surprise me that thats where it is wired up - I've heard them of course but would never have one in the house - why the hell would I want one? Just try using better kit - then you wont need to use a G.E. And wherever it's connected it still interferes with the output - or are you going to argue with that one?

Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 17:10

Come to think of it - you connect it up on input!!! Christ that's even worse - screw up the signal and then amplify it - mmm nice move - that's sound real good!

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2004 at 17:12

It's up to everyone here to use what kit they like - and it does surprise me that thats where it is wired up - I've heard them of course but would never have one in the house - why the hell would I want one? Just try using better kit - then you wont need to use a G.E. And wherever it's connected it still interferes with the output - or are you going to argue with that one?

Again, you obviously are talking out your butt as you have absolutely no idea what  it is you are carrying on about.  There is no such thing as a modular graphic equalizer that goes in the loop ANYWHERE OTHER than between the source and the amp.  The only thing even remotely like what you describe are tuneable speaker crossovers.

I can understand trying to talk big to "impress the troops", but you've messed it up big and can shut up now.

Kindly cease trying to use me to make yourself look like a big shot, please.  It ain't working.

Edited by Stormcrow
Scafell View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 02:47

Firstly, I'm not trying to impress anyone - you must be thinking of yourself. Secondly, next time you're in UK - give me a call and we'll discuss this further you yellow piece of crap

Stormcrow View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 03:04

Finally a direct insult, rather than an oblique one and a threat!

OOOOOO, WOW!

Tell you what there little fella.... you call me when you learn enough about electronics and stereo equipment to know what you are talking about.

Tell me: When you hook up your graphic equalizer "between the amp and the speakers", is that where you hook up your pre-amp and the CD player too?

<SMILIE>

From your response, I highly doubt you are 25 years old, let alone your unlikely story that you've spent 25 years working on anything at all like a stereo system. 

Oh yeah - and lastly - yellow piece of crap?   <SMILIE>  Bite me.

Edited by Stormcrow
philippe View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2004 at 20:05
You really know how to make people angry, Stormcrow... 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>