Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedApple Pie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Apple Pie
    Posted: March 12 2007 at 07:30
Again I'd like to introduce you all a Russian band called APPLE PIE!!! They've just released their debut album Russian thru MALS label,and you can go directly to 2-min long low-quality samples there. Later I'll provide bio and discography for them. They sound like a cross between SPOCK'S BEARD and DREAM THEATER circa 97-99!
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2007 at 04:51
they sound really good PJ, will send some links up to Neo-Prog team for investigation.Smile

Prog Archives Tour Van
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:19
I received a PM from Prog Jester (Which I post in this ocasion because it's relevant to all of us and I'm sure Igor wants this band to be added), after checking the samples, sent a PM to MikeenRegalia and Cygnus X-2 with a copy of itr, so they will be noticed without need to search.

Hello Ivan!
This is info for APPLE PIE's inclusion. I provided links some time ago(they are dead now I guess), but you can check their music by samples from their label's site (artwork is there too; band's photo can be found on their site). I don't know where to put them; probably due to SPOCK'S BEARD influence they should be in Symphonic, but they're NOT Symphonic - closer to Neo Prog. Tell me what you think.
Here we go!

BIO -

With APPLE PIE (formed in 2000 in Kursk) post-Soviet Prog scene enters new dimension. Gone are cassette-recorded demos and home-made CD-Rs with half-professional hardly-bearable material: APPLE PIE’s sound is equal to the best American or European examples! Clear English vocals, excellent guitar-work, powerful keyboards and groovy rhythm-section completes the whole picture. Musically these guys are very much early SPOCK’S BEARD-like plus DREAM THEATER circa 1997-1999. Their debut album “Crossroads” is a concept story dealing with “searching for a truth” issue. It was preceded by a self-recorded “New Day” demo (which wasn’t Prog actually, but had a future “Crossroads” main musical theme), but the band’s melodic and energetic manner has finally shaped with the release of “Crossroad” – a wonderful example of Symphonic Neo Prog with some Prog-Metal/Heavy Prog influences.

Line-up:

-     Vartan Mkhitaryan: lead & backing vocals, guitars, percussion
-     Alexey Bildin: basses, backing vocals, saxophones,
-     Oleg Sergeev: keyboards, backing vocals
-     Andrey Golodukhin: drums, backing vocals

Tracklist:

APPLE PIE "Crossroad"

1. a) Overture
   b) Once Upon a Time 8:21
2. Sunrise 9:17
3. Crossroad 7:57
4. Nothing 3:42
5. Temptation 4:40
6. Escape 10:30
7. Still got my Faith in You 4:02
8. Solution 7:26
9. Nothing Comes Everything 8:06
10. Final 13:00

(c) MALS records

Web-site: http://applepie-mus.narod.ru

Samples: http://mals.ru/ApplePie.htm

Regards
Igor 

Was going to start a new thread but noticed there was already one.

Iván

Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:26
So what do you think?
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:34
^ a myspace page with one or two complete songs would be nice!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:41
Judging from the samples I'd say "Spock's Beard clone" ... these guys can play, it's all very professionally written and arranged, but they're ripping off Spock's Beard pretty obviously.

I'd say put them wherever Spock's Beard are now.Smile
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 15:43
from what I've heard from their site, they're very good Thumbs%20Up

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2007 at 16:24
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

So what do you think?

OK, this is what I get from he samples:
  1. The Beginning - Overture: Classic Neo Prog, the Spock's Beard connection is more than suspicious, not original but good, I like the hard Rock edge and the keyboards work..
  2. Sunrise: Cute Ballad, nothing more, reminds me a bit of Pendragon but the wah wah guitar is horrendous, the vocals are decent despite the accent.
  3. Crossroads: Hard Neo Prog, gets more interesting as it advances, but again Spock's Beard is present, a bit repetivive of the main chorus.
  4. Nothing: Another Ballad a la Pendragon meets Spock Beard meets the late Hogarth Marillion, very borderline with mainstream, that guitar is too repetitive.
  5. Temptation: Now they get funky and a bit jazzy, sorry but I hate this track, a terrible James Brown impersonation.
  6. Escape: Bland Neo with a touch of Crimson and a lot of Spock's Beard but mainly mainstream Hard Rock
  7. Still Got my Faith in You: Starts like America (Yes the ones from "A Horse with no Name"), the vocal work is interesting but not spectacular..Another mainstream track
  8. Solution: Pompous a la early Marillion, the keyboards sound a bit cheesy but the performance ie excellent (The problem is in the keyboard sound), Neo Prog 100%
  9. Nothing Comes Everything: Nice guitar the problem is that crickett or birds in the background (Can't get what it is), nice jazzy piano
  10. The Final: Good keyboard performance, again sounds like a watered version o Spock's Beard but gets much better as it advances, p´retty good gutar work.

IMHO from the samples it's a Neo Prog album (Still missing a lot opf the body of the songs), and not the sub-genre at it's best, borderline with mainstream at various moments but nice to listen..

Good Neo band for a 3 stars average from what I heard, is worth adding I believe, but now it's Neo Prog call.

Iván.

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - March 31 2007 at 16:26

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 05:51
Thanks, Ivan

Actually "Temptation" is not among my favourities too

"Escape" is 10 minutes long originally and very DTesque. Same goes to "Final"(12 min long). You may check these 2 songs in Collabs Lounge in the very end of Neo Thread (just for the record).

Sadly, they have no MySpace page yet.
OK, lets put 'em in Neo.

Edited by Prog-jester - April 03 2007 at 05:53
Cygnus X-2 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 06:00
To be honest, I don't hear that much Neo in the classic sense of the what the genre is "supposed to sound like"... I agree with Mike that they are definitely deserving of where Spock's Beard is, as I hear a lot of SB sound in their music. It's pretty solid, but I couldn't really consider it Neo.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 06:03
^ Some people think that Spock's Beard is Neo Prog ... I guess that's where the confusion is coming from.Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 06:07
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Some people think that Spock's Beard is Neo Prog ... I guess that's where the confusion is coming from.Wink

Yeah, I don't see Spock's Beard as Neo so maybe that's why I feel that way.Wink
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 07:01
I asked the band how do they call their genre. "Prog" they asked .Anyway they promised the next album to be ven more progressive.

Yes, a lot of SB and also 97-99 DT in AP's music...but Ivan rejected them as I understand . They are NOT Art-Rock - influences come from New Symphonic band and the mildest period of Prog-Metal band. As long as many New Symphonic bands are already in Neo (DISCIPLINE, MAGENTA, NEXUS, THE WATCH among others), we should put them there as well? Or bring them all into Symphonic
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 13:41
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

I asked the band how do they call their genre. "Prog" they asked .Anyway they promised the next album to be ven more progressive.

Yes, a lot of SB and also 97-99 DT in AP's music...but Ivan rejected them as I understand . They are NOT Art-Rock - influences come from New Symphonic band and the mildest period of Prog-Metal band. As long as many New Symphonic bands are already in Neo (DISCIPLINE, MAGENTA, NEXUS, THE WATCH among others), we should put them there as well? Or bring them all into Symphonic

I'll run it by stonebeard and Greenback and we'll see what they think... hell, I'll even inform Micky as he's an "unofficial" member of our team. If there's a majority in Neo then I will have no problem adding them.
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 13:52
This is so Spock's Beard it's almost not funny. LOL

First option
: Symphonic Prog

If Ivan absolutely won't have them, then:

Second option
: Neo-Prog
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 16:14
Originally posted by stonebeard stonebeard wrote:

This is so Spock's Beard it's almost not funny. 

Yep, they admit that fact . I'm going to post an inerview with the band soon - on their adding here!
greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 21:47
definitely not neo prog!

they have a couples of songs & passages that are neo, but it is not the main subgenre.

i see influences as wide as It Bites (temptation), triumph, spock's beard (most of the complex parts), dream theater (lead vocals), starcastle, transatlantic, clepsydra (sunrise) and even christopher cross.

excellent band though.
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2007 at 23:43

Prog Jester wrote:

Quote Yes, a lot of SB and also 97-99 DT in AP's music...but Ivan rejected them as I understand

No ,my fried, i didn't rejected it, you told me from the start they are Neo:

You wrote in the PM:
Quote I don't know where to put them; probably due to SPOCK'S BEARD influence they should be in Symphonic, but they're NOT Symphonic - closer to Neo Prog. Tell me what you think.
Here we go!

LMAO, you told me from te start they sounded Neo and I found many Neo Elements

I don't want to reject them and I cant as a person, so I will ask HT and Bob to check it..

Doesn't sound Symphonic IMO  my main point (As Greenback wrote) is the blend of elements, but I wouldn't be totally uncomfortable with them in Symphonic, anyway I have to ask the team.

We will find a home for them.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - April 03 2007 at 23:58

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 00:12
You mean this wasn't the Spock's Beard replacement vocalist audition sessions?

They do have a lot in common with "The Beard," and come close to symphonic at times, but they don't dive very deeply into it. I say Neo also.

greenback View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2007 at 01:00
art rock related seems the solution
[HEADPINS - LINE OF FIRE: THE RECORD HAVING THE MOST POWERFUL GUITAR SOUND IN THE WHOLE HISTORY OF MUSIC!>
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>