Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Panzerpappa Special  in preperation, can you help?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPanzerpappa Special in preperation, can you help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Panzerpappa Special in preperation, can you help?
    Posted: March 15 2007 at 17:50
Hi,
In my efforts to contact bands for interviews, and also womewhat involved in PA, I have contacted Norwegian band Panzerpappa and offered this to their drummer Trond (through Myspace):

" Hi Trond,
Thanks for replying. I really like your music (fresh "air" in the prog scene).
I am a collaborator at www.progarchives.com and I was wondering if you and your band would like to raise forum people's awareness to your band by some sort of "publicity" means - interview, you or someone else in the band posting a thread there inviting fans to come and listen to you (I can help you with that, or any other idea that comes to your mind. I will gladly help and do whatever comes to your mind as I want to help you get more exposure in our website. I have done so for a few bands so far and I want to do the same for yours.

All the best,
Assaf "

And this is his reply:
" Hi!
Of course we're intrested in this! :-) Feel free to post some questions for an interview that you can publish. Do you have all our records? Maybe make a larger feature about us? We're in the process of updating our website with some new pictures and soundclips. We will contact you when it's ready.

Than you for helping us spreading the word!

Best regards
Trond, the drummer of Panzerpappa  "

So, in light of this, those of you interested are welcome to suggest questions for that interview and also other ideas for something more if you can think of.

in addition to the interview, there will be a short background of the band and their albums and sound. Since I only have the latest 2 releases out of 4, it will be not complete which is why I need assistance from people who heard it and can post here their thoughts about those two releases and any other comments about the band that you have.

The next probable one will be the Israeli band Zingale reincarnated for the first time since the late 70's and releasing its second album The Bright Side. I already opened a preliminary thread about it here - http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=35310

Thanks for your help

Assaf

Edited by avestin - March 15 2007 at 17:51
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 15 2007 at 20:16
For those interested here is their myspace:

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 08:43

I came up with several questions and got some from others as well, and also thought of how to combine the interview with a larger presentation of the band, but you are still welcome to suggest ideas and post questions you want answered.

You can find ideas for questions here if you wish:
And also some samples.

You can also suggest which other bands you think should get a similar spotlight.

Edited by avestin - March 16 2007 at 08:44
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 18:25
Strangely enough, I only know their debut, ...Passer Gullfisk, which I enjoy very much. I suspect the later ones are even better, judging by the reviews.
As for the questions, you might want to ask him what the album titles mean, since I haven't found that information anywhere on the website. I think the first one means "assorted goldfish" or something like that, but I'm curious about the rest.
You could also ask him whom he would like to do a drum/percussion improvisation duet with if he had to choose between Vander, Bruford, Cutler, Charles Hayward or Stewart Copeland? Big%20smile (He's a very good and versatile drummer in his own right, this Trond guy, by the way).
Finally, tell him they ought to step outside Norway and play live elsewhere for a change if they have the chance, cause they certainly deserve more exposure. It's a little unfair that only guys like Bj-1 get to see this band live. I would definitely make an effort to go see them if they ever came to this part of Germany.
Just suggestions, of course. Smile

Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 18:28
^^^
Thanks for the questions and suggestions.
All noted.

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 18:31
By the way, Nicolae, since you know their first album, could you give a listen to their songs on the myspace and tell me if you see the development/change/however it is that they changed, please?

I realise it can only be limited, but just basic impressions are fine.

Edited by avestin - March 16 2007 at 18:33
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 18:57
I gave them a listen and I like what I heard significantly more than their first. The sound is more "full" and the harmonies a little darker, whereas the first album was pretty much joyful and playful in a circus/musical box kind of way, if you know what I mean. These tracks (from their new one) sound more sombre. and I don't remember spotting any mellotron playing on ...Passer Gullfisk, whereas here I can hear one (I hope I'm not mistaken) on "Frenetisk Frenology". I would say they kept the jazzy overtones at a similar level, and the alto sax is still present just like in the beginning (definitely a good thing), but the guitar tone and style seems quite different to my ears. Finally, there seems to be a better, more natural flow in the band now - I think that's obvious. Not that they were terribly angular in the beginning, but - the way I heard it - it was like someone had written a stiff framework for the compositions and the rest were just improvising around it (especially the guitar); now it feels more cohesive and cooperative.
Take these observations with a grain of salt though, cause I only heard the samples (so far) and  also don't know the two albums in between these. But the progress is obvious.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 19:39
^^^
Great this helps a lot.

I have work (not PA work) to do this weekend, but I hope to have more done with this presentation of the band. I have a fair amount of questions, and am thinking of how to organize the interview, presenting the band and their sound/albums and also combining Bj-1's concert review which he already posted.

Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 20:25
What a surprise - Richard Sinclair singing with Panzerpappa!

This band is interesting indeed! Some days ago I listened to to their samples and the PA song. RIO/Avant but also refering to Jazz Rock and Canterbury a lot.

So one question could be how they managed to collaborate with Richard Sinclair.

BTW - discography info from Koralrevens Klagesang is wrong.
Sinclair as a  drummer?

avestin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 16 2007 at 21:05
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

What a surprise - Richard Sinclair singing with Panzerpappa!

This band is interesting indeed! Some days ago I listened to to their samples and the PA song. RIO/Avant but also refering to Jazz Rock and Canterbury a lot.

So one question could be how they managed to collaborate with Richard Sinclair.

BTW - discography info from Koralrevens Klagesang is wrong.
Sinclair as a  drummer?

The whole lineup info is not good, I'll correct it.
Thanks for letting me know.

magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 09:47
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Strangely enough, I only know their debut, ...Passer Gullfisk, which I enjoy very much. I suspect the later ones are even better, judging by the reviews.
As for the questions, you might want to ask him what the album titles mean, since I haven't found that information anywhere on the website. I think the first one means "assorted goldfish" or something like that, but I'm curious about the rest.

Passer gullfisk - Takes care of goldfish

Hulemysteriet - The cave mystery

Norske band i hus og hytte - Norwegian bands in house and cottage

Farlig vandring - Dangerous walk/wandering

Koralrevens klagesang - :EDIT: see below

If you're wondering what any of the song titles mean, just let me know and I'll translate them Big%20smile

:EDIT: about Koralrevens klagesang; it's kind of a play of words, "korallrev" means coral reef, but the proper ending for the word in singular would be "korallrevet". "reven" means "the fox", so instead of meaning "lament of the coral reef", which I originally thought, I peeked at the cover art and realized they meant "lament of the coral fox" Tongue

Edited by magnus - March 17 2007 at 09:51
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 10:43
Haha, thanks, Magnus. I guess it's as much as I need to know. Smile
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by Uroboros Uroboros wrote:

Haha, thanks, Magnus. I guess it's as much as I need to know. Smile

You're welcome! If you need any more translations, I'm eager to help! They have a few quite weird song titles. Big%20smile
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
 Post Reply Post Reply