Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Abacab
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbacab

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What's the best Abacab track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [22.22%]
2 [5.56%]
3 [8.33%]
2 [5.56%]
17 [47.22%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2005
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 32995
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:13
Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Abacab is really the start of the weak era in Genesis, though is not a bad album, just not a GREAT album like Genesis released up until then... I think they got back on track (at least on ABACAB track) in We can't dance, but the two albums in between these two are just...Dead....Well, the best track is "Dodo" and we could also mention "Abacab" and a couple more. The main problem with the album is that it contains Genesis'  second-worst song ever, "Who Dunnit" OuchDead...an atrocity that has the worst lyrics in the band's career, but that, incredibly (and I MEAN the "incredibly" part) is not musically as HORRENDOUS as "Illegal Alien" from GENESIS. Well, "Who Dunnit" takes a couple of good points from the album... But other than that sorry excuse for a song, the album is enjoyable. As are almost ALL Genesis' albums other than INVISIBLE TOUCH (Yes, even GENESIS would be decent but... Illegal Alien...Man!)...

 

3 people have voted for 'Who Dunnit' Confused

 

I don't mind Illegal Alien.At least it goes along at a nice pace.Collins fake South American accent is the only bad thing about it IMO. 

 

That fake accent is probably the worst thing to ever happen to prog-music since Paris Hilton sung in the last Kayo Dot release...wait.... anyway, that thing is so phony, so fake, so INSULTING. And not to mention the atrocious "funny photograph" of the three members wearing fake moustaches and wigs...Man! Atrocious....


Agreed, It's f***ing awful and thats putting it mildly. It's very dated too, in terms of the humour they were attempting. Long gone are the days when lampooning national stereotypes was deemed funny. Some people could be really offended. I'm not a huge advocate of the PC movement, but when you see the vid for 'Illegal Alien' you have to concede they have a point; when white middle class ex public school boys, with no understanding of what they're singing about at all, dress up as Mexicans trying to enter another country illegally, it simply hi-lights the reality gap between ultra rich rock stars and the real world..

That said, they're a great band I love em..!
 
I like Illegal Alien and the video too. Didn't offend me and I don't care if it offends anyone else really.
 
I always liked Illegal Alien, both the song and the video. I never realised that people would find them offensive. Shocked
 
Yes I take my words back......what i really mean is that it seems pretty inoffensive to me and I think people are just too sensitive these days. If some Meican on this forum is offended, can we here from you?
Back to Top
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 26 2005
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 10616
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:25
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Abacab is really the start of the weak era in Genesis, though is not a bad album, just not a GREAT album like Genesis released up until then... I think they got back on track (at least on ABACAB track) in We can't dance, but the two albums in between these two are just...Dead....Well, the best track is "Dodo" and we could also mention "Abacab" and a couple more. The main problem with the album is that it contains Genesis'  second-worst song ever, "Who Dunnit" OuchDead...an atrocity that has the worst lyrics in the band's career, but that, incredibly (and I MEAN the "incredibly" part) is not musically as HORRENDOUS as "Illegal Alien" from GENESIS. Well, "Who Dunnit" takes a couple of good points from the album... But other than that sorry excuse for a song, the album is enjoyable. As are almost ALL Genesis' albums other than INVISIBLE TOUCH (Yes, even GENESIS would be decent but... Illegal Alien...Man!)...

 

3 people have voted for 'Who Dunnit' Confused

 

I don't mind Illegal Alien.At least it goes along at a nice pace.Collins fake South American accent is the only bad thing about it IMO. 

 

That fake accent is probably the worst thing to ever happen to prog-music since Paris Hilton sung in the last Kayo Dot release...wait.... anyway, that thing is so phony, so fake, so INSULTING. And not to mention the atrocious "funny photograph" of the three members wearing fake moustaches and wigs...Man! Atrocious....


Agreed, It's f***ing awful and thats putting it mildly. It's very dated too, in terms of the humour they were attempting. Long gone are the days when lampooning national stereotypes was deemed funny. Some people could be really offended. I'm not a huge advocate of the PC movement, but when you see the vid for 'Illegal Alien' you have to concede they have a point; when white middle class ex public school boys, with no understanding of what they're singing about at all, dress up as Mexicans trying to enter another country illegally, it simply hi-lights the reality gap between ultra rich rock stars and the real world..

That said, they're a great band I love em..!
 
I like Illegal Alien and the video too. Didn't offend me and I don't care if it offends anyone else really.
 
I always liked Illegal Alien, both the song and the video. I never realised that people would find them offensive. Shocked
 
Yes I take my words back......what i really mean is that it seems pretty inoffensive to me and I think people are just too sensitive these days. If some Meican on this forum is offended, can we here from you?
 
It reminds me of Carl Barks, the guy who wrote thousands of pages for Walt Disney studios, and who invented Scrooge McDuck, Gyro Gearloose, Duckburg etc. He was always writing these adventures where the Duck family went abroad, to visit foreign countries, countries that really exist as well as mythological countries. He always made jokes about the local population, just like Goscinny did with Asterix. Lots of times people found his jokes offensive, like when he wrote a story about the Ducks going to a country where the population looked like Mexicans. They were sleeping all day under their sombreros, just like the Mexicans in the Lucky Luke stories. Some people found that very offensive. Barks sighed and said that there is little left to laugh about in this old, tired world. Unhappy
 
I thought always considered I.A. pretty innocent as well. Are there really people who know other people who were offended by it? I'd like to know that. Question
Back to Top
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 22 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 15870
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:50
^ No, I dont know anyone who actually was offended by it. What I said was that some people could be offended by it. It's very easy to offend people these days and it seems there is a whole industry and infrastructure surrounding it. Faceless panels of people connected with government telling us what we can and cant say week to week.

The point I was making, was that humour has changed in such a way that sending up national stereotypes is not the done thing in the mainstream these days. I agree that some people are too sensitive, and I'm sure Genesis' agenda was innocent when making the song/video, but the fact that it does make fun of some kind of Mexican stereotype dates it badly as a piece of music.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Back to Top
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2005
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 32995
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:53
I would say the song is still relevant.
Back to Top
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 22 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 15870
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:58
^ Politically relevant maybe, but arguably not politcally correct.

It's not the subject matter, it's the comedy Mexican impressions..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Back to Top
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Errors & Omissions Team

Joined: March 23 2005
Location: Caerdydd
Status: Offline
Points: 32995
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 09:00
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^ Politically relevant maybe, but arguably not politcally correct.

It's not the subject matter, it's the comedy Mexican impressions..
 
Personally I strive to be politically INcorrect, but I understand what you is saying bro....
Back to Top
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: June 22 2004
Location: England
Status: Offline
Points: 15870
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 09:29
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

^ Politically relevant maybe, but arguably not politcally correct. It's not the subject matter, it's the comedy Mexican impressions..

 

Personally I strive to be politically INcorrect, but I understand what you is saying bro....


Good on you!



Edited by Blacksword - March 19 2007 at 09:30
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Back to Top
valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar
VIP Member

Joined: March 20 2005
Location: New Zealand
Status: Offline
Points: 2546
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 19:33
I am not ashamed to say that I have a soft spot for "Abacab". It was the first Genesis album that I bought - like so many others - on the strength of the title track. I actually think all the tracks have some merit and for me "Dodo/Lurker" stands out along with the melancholy "Man on the Corner". Maybe not their best album, but certainly a lot better, imo, than some of their later recordings.

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp


Back to Top
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 30 2006
Location: Pearland
Status: Offline
Points: 60801
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 00:15
Originally posted by valravennz valravennz wrote:

Maybe not their best album, but certainly a lot better, imo, than some of their later recordings.



   
Back to Top
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: June 09 2004
Location: Front Range
Status: Offline
Points: 7028
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 04:45
Excellent album, a lot better than some of the drivel dished up from all the prog band wannabees these days.
 
For those who don't understand ' who dunnit?" - Get over it, it is just the boys stuffing around to have a good time.
 
Brave new direction by Genesis and to be fair every album of theirs was always a new direction. Can't compare ' mama' album or IT with Abacab, so there is no point in all the PC's bashers stating that Abacab spelt the end of their prog values - bul%%$*!!
 
Abacab for me the best song on the album, along with Dodo and Me and sarah Jane.
 
Great poll!
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Back to Top
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Avatar
Honorary Collaborator

Joined: September 30 2006
Location: Pearland
Status: Offline
Points: 60801
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 04:48
Hmm.. all the closet Abacabers are coming out

Back to Top
Melomaniac View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: May 07 2006
Location: Canada
Status: Offline
Points: 4088
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 14:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

[QUOTE=Moogtron III]You shouldn't have split Dodo/Lurker, that song is great like it is. I would've voted for it.
 
  
 
Same here, so I'll vote Dodo.
"One likes to believe in the freedom of Music" - Neil Peart, The Spirit of Radio
Back to Top
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer
Avatar

Joined: April 26 2005
Location: Belgium
Status: Offline
Points: 10616
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 18:13
Atavachron: I'm glad there are so many of us. And the message of this thread is: if you like Abacab, be proud of it  Approve
 
Melomaniac: Poor Lurker, I'm afraid he's close to extinction because of me. Embarrassed


Edited by Moogtron III - March 20 2007 at 18:14
Back to Top
Scott View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie
Avatar

Joined: December 16 2006
Location: United States
Status: Offline
Points: 9
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 01:12
Genesis post-1977 spark a LOT of negative reaction. I do understand why in a lot of cases.  Crappy sound, thin (yet guitar and bass-obliterating) synthesizers, awful over-loud gated electronic toms, etc.  (already ready to vomit).
 
I'll admit though...I QUITE like the title track to ABACAB.  It's very guitar-based, which is a good thing for me.  And the sound is good too.  Phil lays down a pumping groove. It stands by itself as a great track in a sea of so-so songs.
Back to Top
Spacemac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: June 15 2005
Location: Poland
Status: Offline
Points: 1626
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 21 2007 at 11:44
Dodo
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 11.01
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd.

This page was generated in 0.088 seconds.

Donate monthly and keep PA fast-loading and ad-free forever.