Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAbacab

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: What's the best Abacab track?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [22.22%]
2 [5.56%]
3 [8.33%]
2 [5.56%]
17 [47.22%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [8.33%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.78%]
0 [0.00%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 17:10
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by Moogtron III Moogtron III wrote:

Me & Sarah Jane is an excellt track too, and is a good example of what post Duke Genesis could have been like. Despite the drum machine, Banks built a constantly changing and very emotional piece of music around that simple beat. It was a true and effective blend of old and new Genesis.

Agreed! Me & Sarah Jane proved that there was room for a progressive '80's Genesis.

As for the drum machine: Genesis was one of the few bands that could make a good use of it, on Me & Sarah Jane but also with Duchess on the Duke-album. But I do think it's a pity that Collins didn't do so much of his sensational drumming anymore through the years Cry

... Genesis were one of few prog bands who could write simple songs that 'worked' alongside their more complex offerings. 'Afterglow' and 'Undertow' spring to mind, as do 'Timetable' and 'Chamber of 32 Doors'
Good point! They were masters at both, the shorts and the longs. Lots of times the shorts were quite original, like Timetable.

The drum machine was originally just a 'writing tool' that Banks was keen on using, but with all the new wave stuff going on around them, and the increased use of electronics in pop they thought it a good idea to include it in some songs. In all fairness they didn't use it excessively, and it works very well on Mama. That's another good example. It works there as well!

This track seems to divide people, but I like it's cold, atmospheric simplicity. I love that track as well. It was in the charts at about the same time that I first heard 'Dance on a Volcano' on the Radio 1 Friday rock show. I was hooked on Genesis from that point, but only really got to grips with a few of their 80's songs.

I agree about Phils drumming taking a nosedive after Duke. Tragic! When you listen to his performances on Los Endos, In that Quiet Earth, Dukes End etc, it seems unbelievable he would want to simplify things to the extent that he did. It wasn't just style it was his distinctive sound too. Using synth drums on Invisible ouch was a bad move. It was a homogenised drum sound, and could have been anyone playing. Oh well, at least we have all those brilliant albums recorded between 1970 and 1980 to indulge in..  Exactly, I must say I like the synthesized drums on Invisible Touch. It's just that I know, it's Phil Collins, and you know what he can do with drums.
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 18:08
Sorry to say I agree about Collins- he simply doesn't put himself out in the drum department on most of their post Duke output. It's those syn drums (and the typically 80s production effects) which is perhaps my biggest issue with Invisible Touch- the title track and Anything She Does aside (which I personally hate), I can tolerate and even enjoy most of the rest of it. The sounds used are quite dated now though, imho.

Mama is terrific though- one of their best 80s tracks, imho.
Moogtron III View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 18:22
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Sorry to say I agree about Collins- he simply doesn't put himself out in the drum department on most of their post Duke output. It's those syn drums (and the typically 80s production effects) which is perhaps my biggest issue with Invisible Touch- the title track and Anything She Does aside (which I personally hate), I can tolerate and even enjoy most of the rest of it. The sounds used are quite dated now though, imho.

Mama is terrific though- one of their best 80s tracks, imho.

The drum sound dated? Yeah, probably, but I seldom hear those things. I'm a bit of a timeless person, I suppose LOL .

But we agree on the most important stuff. Mama is very good, Collins should drum more, and become more progressive Smile.

Anything She Does is the worst song on the album. Invisible Touch: the live videoclip is the most programmed thing I ever saw Unhappy I still like most of the album, though I musn't listen to it too much.
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 18:29
I went for No Reply At All.
People actually like Who Dunnit?
Beauty will save the world.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 19:01
Dodo ..although the live version on Three Sides Live is much better than the studio version IMO.
Bastille Dude View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 20:47
I've loved Abacab since it came out, It doesn't really have any bad songs on it IMO. I voted for Keep It Dark since no one else has, I'm glad to see Abacab getting the respect it deserves.
DEATH TO FALSE PROG!
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 22:51
It's rather strange to see an "alternative"  group covering a supposedly "passe" Genesis song. I see Abacab as being another tune that would work well being covered by a guitar based band. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 00:15
One of the best recorded and most elegant pop records of the 80s.. the title cut is my favorite.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 00:43
Abacab is really the start of the weak era in Genesis, though is not a bad album, just not a GREAT album like Genesis released up until then... I think they got back on track (at least on ABACAB track) in We can't dance, but the two albums in between these two are just...Dead....Well, the best track is "Dodo" and we could also mention "Abacab" and a couple more. The main problem with the album is that it contains Genesis'  second-worst song ever, "Who Dunnit" OuchDead...an atrocity that has the worst lyrics in the band's career, but that, incredibly (and I MEAN the "incredibly" part) is not musically as HORRENDOUS as "Illegal Alien" from GENESIS. Well, "Who Dunnit" takes a couple of good points from the album... But other than that sorry excuse for a song, the album is enjoyable. As are almost ALL Genesis' albums other than INVISIBLE TOUCH (Yes, even GENESIS would be decent but... Illegal Alien...Man!)...
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 04:12
I'm going to use Erik's way of answering several posts in one post:

Zappa88: Hard to believe, I understand that, but yes, there are people who like Whodunnit, and I happen to be one of them. It's original, and somehow the song seems to be working... for a small group of people, and the rest of the Genesis afficionados hate it. Maybe it's Genesis' most controversial song. Although, it's only controversial if there's some sort of 50%-50% balance. In the case of Whodunnit, 95% seems to hate it, and 5% seems to love it Smile

BastilleDude: Yes, I'm also glad that Abacab has its fair share of fans!

TheT: For me Abacab is the last of the really good albums, so I'm with you with the weaker albums, only that it starts with me with Genesis, the yellow eponymous album, so for me the weaker albums start one studio album later than with you. I understand that Abacab is a disappointment for many people. On the other hand: I think this album, even if it sounds very different from the old stuff, still retains the old Genesis magic, and in this thread I can see that there are quite some people who like Abacab as well.

Edited by Moogtron III - March 18 2007 at 04:14
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 06:02
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Abacab is really the start of the weak era in Genesis, though is not a bad album, just not a GREAT album like Genesis released up until then... I think they got back on track (at least on ABACAB track) in We can't dance, but the two albums in between these two are just...Dead....Well, the best track is "Dodo" and we could also mention "Abacab" and a couple more. The main problem with the album is that it contains Genesis'  second-worst song ever, "Who Dunnit" OuchDead...an atrocity that has the worst lyrics in the band's career, but that, incredibly (and I MEAN the "incredibly" part) is not musically as HORRENDOUS as "Illegal Alien" from GENESIS. Well, "Who Dunnit" takes a couple of good points from the album... But other than that sorry excuse for a song, the album is enjoyable. As are almost ALL Genesis' albums other than INVISIBLE TOUCH (Yes, even GENESIS would be decent but... Illegal Alien...Man!)...

3 people have voted for 'Who Dunnit' Confused

I don't mind Illegal Alien.At least it goes along at a nice pace.Collins fake South American accent is the only bad thing about it IMO. 
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 07:20
I prefer Invisible Touch actually. And Genesis is also alittle better than Abacab.
mystic fred View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 07:22
"Dodo " is a good song - imagine how PG would handle it!Wink

Prog Archives Tour Van
Bj-1 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 19:17
Dodo, followed by Abacab.
RIO/AVANT/ZEUHL - The best thing you can get with yer pants on!
EXERIOR Experimental tech/death/progmetal from Norway!
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 20:03
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I don't mind Illegal Alien.At least it goes along at a nice pace.Collins fake South American accent is the only bad thing about it IMO. 

That fake accent is probably the worst thing to ever happen to prog-music since Paris Hilton sung in the last Kayo Dot release...wait.... anyway, that thing is so phony, so fake, so INSULTING. And not to mention the atrocious "funny photograph" of the three members wearing fake moustaches and wigs...Man! Atrocious....
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 06:26

That fake accent is probably the worst thing to ever happen to prog-music since Paris Hilton sung in the last Kayo Dot release...wait.... anyway, that thing is so phony, so fake, so INSULTING. And not to mention the atrocious "funny photograph" of the three members wearing fake moustaches and wigs...Man! Atrocious....

Agreed, It's f***ing awful and thats putting it mildly. It's very dated too, in terms of the humour they were attempting. Long gone are the days when lampooning national stereotypes was deemed funny. Some people could be really offended. I'm not a huge advocate of the PC movement, but when you see the vid for 'Illegal Alien' you have to concede they have a point; when white middle class ex public school boys, with no understanding of what they're singing about at all, dress up as Mexicans trying to enter another country illegally, it simply hi-lights the reality gap between ultra rich rock stars and the real world..

That said, they're a great band I love em..!
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Neil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 07:09
I'm amazed at the votes for Dodo and Who Dunnit.  Both are exactly what I and most of my friends think are examples of the Collins lead demise of Genesis.  I quite like Abacab as a pop tune and Me and Sarah Jane isn't bad.
When people get lost in thought it's often because it's unfamiliar territory.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 07:49

Agreed, It's f***ing awful and thats putting it mildly. It's very dated too, in terms of the humour they were attempting. Long gone are the days when lampooning national stereotypes was deemed funny. Some people could be really offended. I'm not a huge advocate of the PC movement, but when you see the vid for 'Illegal Alien' you have to concede they have a point; when white middle class ex public school boys, with no understanding of what they're singing about at all, dress up as Mexicans trying to enter another country illegally, it simply hi-lights the reality gap between ultra rich rock stars and the real world..

I like Illegal Alien and the video too. Didn't offend me and I don't care if it offends anyone else really.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 07:50
Originally posted by Heavyfreight Heavyfreight wrote:

I'm amazed at the votes for Dodo and Who Dunnit.  Both are exactly what I and most of my friends think are examples of the Collins lead demise of Genesis.  I quite like Abacab as a pop tune and Me and Sarah Jane isn't bad.

I don't understand, Dodo is an an excellent track.Confused

And Ababcab is more a rock track with prog overtones.

Edited by Snow Dog - March 19 2007 at 07:51
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2007 at 08:11
Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I like Illegal Alien and the video too. Didn't offend me and I don't care if it offends anyone else really.

I always liked Illegal Alien, both the song and the video. I never realised that people would find them offensive. Shocked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>