Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Paradox Hotel (espec. "Bavarian Skies") Thoughts?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedParadox Hotel (espec. "Bavarian Skies") Thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Paradox Hotel (espec. "Bavarian Skies") Thoughts?
    Posted: March 17 2007 at 15:24
I have read many of the reviews for "Paradox Hotel", the recent (2006) release by The Flower Kings. I now own a copy and am close to half-way through the album; however, I don't understand the problem everyone has with "Bavarian Skies". Sure, it could be an ironic/sarcastic treatment of the Nazis, but what if it's something less 'whimsical'? That word was used often, as if the song is not to be taken seriously.

Monsters and Men is a beauty, as well as the Self Consuming Fire. Mommy Leave the Light On is as eerie as Bavarian Skies. I won't even go into the second half, as its beauty astounds me. There is an entirely to this album, involving our conceptions of evil and monstrosity in ourselves and history. What do you think of this album? I 
          The Holy Trinity of Symphonic Progressive Rock
salmacis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Content Addition

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 17 2007 at 17:58
For me, it's an excellent album- the best new album I'd bought last year alongside Steve Hackett's 'Wild Orchids' (which I did prefer overall, though, I suppose). I had real trouble getting into Unfold The Future (though there are some songs I like), I find The Rainmaker a bit by-the-numbers and a fair proportion of Adam and Eve to be fairly aimless (the first few tracks notwithstanding), so for me it's a return to form. There are some moments I could live without though, and yes, 'Bavarian Skies' is one of them- I'm afraid I just think it's filler. I like most of the rest of it though- when I get around to reviewing it, I'd definitely say it would be worth 4/5 (I don't feel any of their albums quite have that coherence that would make me give any of them 5, but maybe that's just me).
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 10:02
Read my review of the album Dead
Chris H View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 10:05
I don't think it was the worst listen I have ever had, it just wasn't any good to me. Bavarian Skies especially. Monsters and Men was rather disappointing, there were some flare-ups in the middle, and the ending was awesome, but everything else was broing. End on A High note and Selfconsuming Fire were pretty good too, and the whole Room 222 disc was awfully boring, again.
Beauty will save the world.
Philéas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 13:58
I kind of agree with The Wizard's review.
chessman View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 16:24
A great album from my second favourite band.
I love both discs, and Bavarian Skies is one of my favourites. There has been too much nonsense written about it. I find the lyrics clever, whilst Bodin's keyboard work behind them is superb. A great melody too with a fine build up that sinks down nicely again.
Good song! Smile
Trickster F. View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 18 2007 at 16:28
 ^ And what is your favourite band? Pendragon? Rush?
sig
 Post Reply Post Reply