FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYesSpirit 18/03/07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: YesSpirit 18/03/07
    Posted: March 18 2007 at 23:20
Tonight I went to see a Yes cover band called YesSpirit in a small but very nice theater that happens to be very close to my home, so there was no long bus trip I had to take. In fact I sat very confortably listening to Il Balletto di Bronzo´s Ys in martinn´s car, for he came with me... better yet I went with him, it was his car jejeje
So we enter the theater, buy the tickets which say YesSpirit havind the famous (or infamous) conver of Tales of topographic oceans as background; I tell you, this was some nice ticket. So we goin, sit down, first row as there where some seats free (the theater is close yet there where some seats free thrue out the evening). Then the band comes, 4 guys in their early 40´s and a very young keyboarder, which I then found out is only 19 years old!
The first song... of course, the classic, Roundabout starts with the singer and second guitarist playing thouse beloved notes in an acoustic guitar when...he makes a huge mistake... what??? How can this happen, is this "that kind of band"? The one that makes mistakes...a Yes cover band cant make mistakes, and certainly not an evident as that one... martinn and I look at each other hoping the worst... to our relieve this kind of things never happend again. Of we go, the song played quite nicely, we all claped our hands in the "In and out the lake..." and it comes to and end. Apart from that unforgivable mistake at the very beginning (the timing coulnd not have been worst) it was quite good. And then...We have heaven...and then South side from the sky and then you get it... this guys are doing the whole Fragil album. And so they did, the best?... a very special and re arrenged Cans and Brahms and Heart of the sunrise, Heart of the sunrise was...niceeeee!!! The Fish was also re arrenged to be played with bass, guitar and keys... but it did not work as well, and the interpretation from Mood for a day could have been better... but overallt it was all very nice. And then... guess which album they took then to do?... yes, Close to the motherf**king edge!!! Fisrt And you and I, which also had a little problem, this time the audio, also quite at the start, but once again they pulled it off, the keys sounded magnificent here. But if I thought that everything until then was good, I was in for a treat.. they played the whole Close to the edge song. Of course I had my doubts, I mean, I even know Yes cant always pull this one off, could this cover band, that had already made that BIG mistake in Roundabout, do it? The awnser... YES. Man, that was the highlight of the evening, excellent interpretation, nice variations in the keys, and the church organ solo...wow!!! This dude can play! The they played Sibberian Khatru, also incredible and Starship Trooper as an encore.

Overall, it was not Yes, but it was very good. I always have my doubts with this cover bands, but this one was more than good.
"You want me to play what, Robert?"
 Post Reply Post Reply