Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoors LA Woman grossly overrated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Witchwoodhermit View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 23:42
L.A. Woman is one of The Doors finest moments.
This album marked the era were Morrison, humbled by public humiliation, now started to take the music seriously. Embracing the blues roots and shaking of the dying kaliedioscope of psychedelia, The Doors, hit their purest moment.
The raunchy (Detroitish) swinging of Changeling is not far from that of Soul Kitchen.
L.A Woman and Riders are unparalleled classics with beautiful dark and shadowy imagary. The musical composition is as mature as The Doors will ever reach.
Been Down So Long, Crawling King Snake and Cars Hiss By My Window, send us once again down the dark alley's through Morrison's mind. Check out Jim's harmonica solo on Cars...(without said instrument). Five to One comes to mind, with this tune. 
Hyacinth House, hints at a Doors that could be. Light, melodic and always quirky, a facet of Jim's side so little experienced.
The Wasp is the "hit" from this disc. Heavy riff and a fully listenable tune. Not a fav of mine, but the masses say different.
L' America has a Not to Touch the Earth feel, but not as good.
Love Her Madly is the "pop" tune on this album.
L.A. Woman by The Doors.
Get it.
And don't look back.

Here I'm shadowed by a dragon fig tree's fan
ringed by ants and musing over man.
memowakeman View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:55
Listen to it some more times... and then in a month , you will say that is a good album...

Follow me on twitter @memowakeman
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:52
It's an awesome album, stuffed full of great tunes.  I love it.  Not remotely proggy though, mostly blues-rock, with a touch of jazz on Riders.  

The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:26
Says the person who gave Revolver 2 stars........

I disagree. It's great fun and a magnificent blues rock album.Not a masterpiece like their first two but still great.

Edited by The Wizard - March 20 2007 at 22:28
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 22:25
I wouldn't say overrated, I would say is not as good as many people say. (isn't it the same? Confused).... I mean, I think is way better than Morrison Hotel and The Soft Parade (which, outside of the title track, is almost in the atrocity level), but nowhwre near The Doors or Strange Days or the (in this case underrated, for me) Waiting for The Sun. It's true that Morrison's voice was a disaster at this point in terms of stability, but he had a certain tone to it that made the voice unique, even more than what it was. The music is decent (The title track, L'A America, Love her Madly) but the album would be ultimately saved weven without those songs because it contains one of the band's greatest gem: Riders on the Storm... that song is a testament to the fact that, with very little, you can do so much...magnificent. So I'd say no to the question.
Uroboros View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 20:06
Haha, yes, I'm afraid I totally agree. Although it should be said that the first two albums (maybe three) were not bad at all and brought forth a unique approach to music at that time, even beyond social/cultural circumstances. That's what should matter to music listeners, regardless of what is retained in the collective memory of the mainstream public fourty years later. Usually, those who keep their Morrison posters hanging on their walls couldn't even tell if those albums were released in '67 or '87 just by listening to them. A similar argument to yours could be constructed for Cobain, but I'd rather not get into that.
Tous les chemins
qui s’ouvrent à moi
ne mènent à rien si tu n’es plus là
Cheesecakemouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 20 2007 at 16:59
I bought LA Women this record a couple of  days ago on an impulse when I saw it at a cheap price. Boy was I dissappointed with it when I gave it a listen last night, to me the whole album is flat, firstly Jim Morrison just doesn't seem to care about the audience ( I know he was deterioating at this point), secoundly this album is so behind with what had as was happening musically this album was made in 1971 but it sounded more like 1967.
Musically speaking it sounded like it had not paid attention to the innovations of the the past by such albums as theBeatles album Abbey Road, Jimmy Hendrix Electric Ladyland, Miles Davis Bitches Brew. Nor does it appear were the musicians aware of the innovations that occured in 1971, that year albums Can's Tago Mago, the Yes Album, Van derr Graaf Generator H to He, these albums are light years ahead of LA Woman. To me the album falls completely flat, it sounds like it came out just after the release of the song 'Wild Thing' (by the troggs if i'm correct).
In My opinion the only reason people bother with the Doors is firstly Jim Morrison was good looking, lived the wild rock n' roll lifestyle and died young. According to the rulwes of pop culture matrydom if you look good, live hard and die young you are an immortal legend. Also to reinforce that was Oliver Stone's movie, which resulted in Morrison's sanctification to a devine musical authority, and the resulting pop culture magazines eg the Rolling Stone Magazine.
So in the end I think LA Woman was a dud, it was a Turkey when it was released and still is a Turkey today. But because of Morrison's sainthood decleared by the pop culture authrities many people do not question the quality (or lack of) on this album.
After all Saint Morrison is on posters and tee shirts at your local music store.
In my opinion if Jim Morrison was still alive today , the Doors would not have the high status today, and Jim Morrison like Tom Jones wuold be now singing in Las Vegas and considered at the same level as Tom Jone, not the rock 'God' who died young.
As a result I give this LA Woman 2 stars.
Thankyou for your time.Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123