Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat does "epic" song exactly mean?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 10:49
Originally posted by kingofbizzare kingofbizzare wrote:

Epic is one of those things you can't define, you just know it when you hear it.

just like prog..LOLClap
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
King Zappa View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 14:34

Epics tend to have completely different emotional ties to the various section of the song. It should take you on a "ride". Length is only a part because you need time to achieve this.

fuxi View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 14:39
The most EPIC prog epic from recent years must be "Inaugural Bash" by Deluge Grander (the name says it all!), on their album AUGUST IN THE URALS.
magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:39
IMO, an epic is a song which tells a story, while being of a certain length.
Generally, though, I mostly use the term to describe long(15-20+ mins) songs.
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
micrinilo View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 15:50

I think that a long song is just that a long song.

IMO an epic requires more stuff  than just a long lenght; it has to be a really work of art in any sense, with a great musicianship, a clear idea, (preferently) expressed in various song parts that could be instrumental and/or with lyrics, an outstanding emotions contol,  if it´s performed by a band obviosly need a great team work, and great lyrics are the perfect complement.
if i´m here or somewhere many miles away
KeleCableII View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 17:31
I'd say an epic is typically a longish song with multiple parts that revolve around a certain theme, usually a story. 2112, Thick as a Brick, Supper's Ready, etc.

I'm not sure if that works though. Would Pain of Salvation's Dea Pecunie be considered an epic?

Edited by KeleCableII - March 23 2007 at 17:32
Proglodita View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2007 at 20:35
Originally posted by King Zappa King Zappa wrote:

Epics tend to have completely different emotional ties to the various section of the song. It should take you on a "ride". Length is only a part because you need time to achieve this.

Exactly.

Well, normally.

P
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 11:26
Originally posted by eckhart eckhart wrote:

Actually Stargazer by Rainbow would be an excellent example of an epic. Also Kashmir by Zeppelin.  Tim

I wouldn't concider those songs to be epics, because they have to distinct sections, and don't portray some sort of challenge/journey/battle/story/et cetera...and, personally, they're not nearly long enough.
Zargus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 20:09
yup Stargazer toghter with A Light in the black is what i think of when i hear the word epic or meby Tarkus ! Tongue
eckhart View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

Originally posted by eckhart eckhart wrote:

Actually Stargazer by Rainbow would be an excellent example of an epic. Also Kashmir by Zeppelin.  Tim

I wouldn't concider those songs to be epics, because they have to distinct sections, and don't portray some sort of challenge/journey/battle/story/et cetera...and, personally, they're not nearly long enough.

I agree with the whole journey/challenge etc. An epic could also be described as grand, majestic and compelling. A 6 or 7 minute song is certainly long enough, but not much shorter. And really lengthy songs aren't necessarily epics. It depends on the content and the style of music. The Bee Gees could extend Stayin' Alive to 15 minutes but it still won't be an epic.  And if these two songs (Stargazer and Kashmir) don't deserve the tag of epic, then I don't know what does. Listen to the anguish in Dio's voice in the last couple minutes of Stargazer with the orchestra playing (very compelling). Sure sounds like a struggle. Now that is epic. Same goes for the majestic keyboards and flanged toms near the end of Kashmir. That song really resembles a journey.
Atomic_Rooster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2007 at 01:57
as a poet, i'll give you a professional opinion of what an epic is, other than one of the dullest and most self-indulgent things one can read.

an epic is any piece of literature, though originally only poetry, that covers a grand theme, such as Beowulf or War and Piece, though one is a long poem and the other is a Tolstoy novel.

This applies to Progressive rock songs in that songs deemed "epics" are those that either cover a grand subject of lyrics  or of music, ie they progress a central idea or plot throughout the song or they evolve a melody or musical idea through organic compositional techniques.
Length of song is not essential, however, it is often a good rule of thumb, as most epics do take a fair amount of time to evolve and develop fully.

Thats pretty much it.
I am but a servant of the mighty Fripp, the sound of whose loins shall forever be upon the tongues of his followers.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12