Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tetrafusion
    Posted: March 26 2007 at 00:40
Band: Tetrafusion

Nationality:
U.S.

Genre: (Instrumental) Prog Metal/Rock, I guess experimental a little as well.

Links:
http://www.betarecords.com/Tetrafusion

(Scroll to the bottom and click 'Listen' next to the songs...just saying this incase anyone cant find it.)

http://www.myspace.com/Tetrafusion

(We had to go in and reduce the quality of the song as a whole just so they'd fit on MySpace. The quality is a little better on the BetaRecords site, so listen to that one if you can.)

Bio:

Tetrafusion is an instrumental progressive rock band comprised of musicians with many years of experience. Tetrafusion was formed in early November of 2006 when Gary Tubbs, Mark Michell, and J.C. Bryant had a strong desire to form a small side project trio playing jazz and slow jam music locally. The three decided that the line-up wasn't complete, and that a guitar player was a necessity. A week later, guitarist Brooks Tarkington was inducted into the band as the fourth and final member. Becoming more innovative in their music, the band had a change of mind and decided to become a progressive rock and experimental band.

Line-Up:

Gary Tubbs - Keyboards
Brooks Tarkington - Guitar
Mark Michell - Bass
J.C. Bryant - Drums

My Review:

Overall sound is, well, progressive, and really experimental in some ways. Our first album is based on cosmology, and all of our songs are cosmology-related. In this first album we simply take scientific theories and depict them within our music subliminally. We have a strong Liquid Tension Experiment / Dream Theater influence, and enjoy playing instrumental music. Our goal with this band is to try to force people to appreciate music and not just know a band by its lyrics and vocalist. 'Gravity' is very keyboard oriented, and more of a light proggish song. In this song, we depict Gravity, well, simply by the descending of the notes in the beginning. When it gets to the latin part, the time signatures every four bars change from 9/8, 4/4, 4/4, 7/8. 4/4 is the same thing as 8/8, so I'll re-word it as 9/8, 8/8, 8/8, 7/8. Notice how the number of 8th notes decreases each time, which is falling like Gravity. Extremely indepth and subliminal, but we have little things like that. In 'Inertia', we just wrote a bunch of riffs and made it feel a little 'random'. "Inertia" is a song that we made that is supposed to make the listener feel like they are in a car that is constantly moving and changing directions. The two songs on the MySpace are DEMOS! We are doing a short and sweet demo CD to handout at our gig next month for promotional purposes, and we are officially recording in a studio sometime in the summer for our CD.

Summarized: We've all been in music since we were practically amoebas, so we have quite a bit of experience both technique wise and gigging and all that, and the band's progress seems to be coming across well. We're all into the obscure arrangements and solos and odd time signatures and all that...its fun to do. I hope you guys enjoy it! We need all the feedback we can get!

P.S. - THESE ARE DEMOS! I know the quality isn't picture perfect, but it's not half bad.

Edited by MistaMarko - March 26 2007 at 00:48
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 14:05
Thanks, Mista! Thumbs%20Up
Guigo

~~~~~~
MistaMarko View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 19:40
You're welcome, but for what? Wacko
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 21:18
A good posting that enriches the forum... no? Approve
Guigo

~~~~~~
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 23:44
Oh, ok, lol. Did you have a listen? :P
Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2007 at 23:52
Originally posted by MistaMarko MistaMarko wrote:

Oh, ok, lol. Did you have a listen? :P

I did... but I'll leave to others to submit reviews and opinions. Smile

Soon, I'll invite our prog-reviewers and special collaborators to come here and check the "prog future". Wink
Guigo

~~~~~~
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2007 at 00:07
Very good symphonic metal, Mista.. I would say that maybe a bit more time playing together, and recording, might be in order for Tetrafusion but there is much potential there. Could eventually be a dynamite band.

'Inertia' particularly good

Edited by Atavachron - March 27 2007 at 00:13
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 00:10
Yeah. The thing about one of those songs, we recorded without ever once playing it together from beginning to end. It was kind of a rushed situation...we got a hold of some recording equipment we could only use for 4 hours one day and we had to cram and rush everything on that one day and we just kinda had to say 'oh well' to screwups and stuff, bur regardless...we are a new band and those songs are fairly new, and yes, i agree, MUCH practice is needed :P.
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 00:06
I'm surprised at how much better it sounded on the BETA records page than it did on myspace (I listened to the same songs there a few days ago).  'Gravity' is definitely an interesting song, your ideas flow smoothly together between themes, and the fast keyboard playing is great for holding the song together.  It still seems like there are a few parts when you guys are out of sync, but that's just a practice thing. :)  I know how that goes!

The heavy, buzzy sounds in 'Inertia' (both on the guitar and keyboard) are really well done!  They mix into the other sounds very well and I love how you varied the timing.  I thought you guys stayed together better on this one.  There's a part in here that reminds me a lot of the nifty sounds they used in some of the old Land of the Lost series (random, I know).  I generally thought the guitar, keyboard and bass parts in this song were all great and interacted effectively, but my favorite is the keyboard part.
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2007 at 02:02
Well thanks! I know, MySpace is a sad example to showcase your music sometimes...I'm surprised at the quality difference too. It sucks, but, oh well, lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply