Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Unsigned Bands
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKwadrat nodnoll.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kwadrat nodnoll.
    Posted: March 28 2007 at 17:16
Band: Kwadrat  nodnoll.

Nationality: Croatia  

Genre: art-rock
Please note that "art rock" term here is not an excuse for "prog related" category, its simply because band is blending more prog subgenres (symphonic, folk, fusion).

Links:

There is no official web site, but you can find few pictures and songs on MySpace.
http://www.myspace.com/kwadratnodnoll

Bio: Kwadrat nodnoll. (with a dot in name) were formed in 1998 in Rijeka, Croatia. They played at numerous venues in Croatia and abroad, had been making music for TV and theatre, had been rewarded on various festivals in Croatia, they even had a minor hit on several charts on some radio stations in former Yugoslavia (in Ljubljana, Zagreb and in Sarajevo), but they never recorded or published anything.
Band's influences are diverse: the keyboardist, drummer and the flutist are heavily influenced by classical prog (Tull, Gong), guitarist is more oriented towards simplicity of new wave (Talking Heads), bassist is heavily influenced by jazz and fusion. Accordionist reinforced the guitarist in balancing the band's sound picture with his punk tendencies, and occasional spices of Balkan folk music.

Accordionist disbanded in 2004, after that band continued as a quintet and started leaning more on the keyboard sound.
The band is currently inactive but they promise reunion in 2008. (for 10th anniversary).

Line Up:

This was the most successful and the longest lasting line-up.

Livio Hubička - vocals, flute, mandolin, electric bass
Nevio Rugaš - drums & percussion, backing vocals
Marin Juričić - electric bass, guitar
Krešimir Mihelec - acoustic and electric guitars, vocals
Moris Mateljan - synthesizers, organ, balalaika
Lovro Šverko - accordion, acoustic guitar, backing vocals

My review:

Note: As you can see, the author of the topic was the member of the band. I have to admit I was hesitating to do it because it seems to me like a quite pathetic thing to do - to write a review about my own band. But after a few fellow forum members did the same thing, I decided to give it a go - and I am doing it for the sake of the completeness. As far as my review is concerned, I will try to be as neutral as possible.

The band members are prog fans right to the bone - but none of them is outstanding technician. However, I will hesitate to call this "prog lite" - but it seem that it was prog for the masses. There is a certain feeling in band's music, and it's not surprising that Kwadrat nodnoll. was quite popular to a wider audience, most notably people with punk rock tendencies. It's questionable how will the same music appeal to a progressive rock purist. Anyway, if you can stand band's technical imperfection, the first most annoying thing noticed will be the vocals.
Singer's voice is nothing to die for, although the timbre itself is not that bad; but the singer's tensions towards intentional singing off-key could be frustrating (although he's got a perfect pitch!). That was part of the image, along with the entertaining stage antics - but without visual part of the performance it sounds rather pointless.
Luckily, the majority of the songs are instrumentals (or songs with only few verses of gibberish or some invented language), and while the harmonies are mostly simple, the time measures are often compound.
Perhaps accordion (along with flute, of course) was the key of the band's appeal; it is nothing but usual in prog rock, let alone the hard rock/punk rock environment where band performed most of the time. It was certainly responsible for traces of Balkan and Gypsy folk music, traces of polka and traces of jazz accordion style ( Richard Galliano, Enzo Favata, Peppino Principe).

After the accordionist left the band, Kwadrat nodnoll. started to use more layers of vintage keyboard, moving towards psychedelic/space rock, classical symphonic prog, even electronic music. The band matured and became more complex, but it had lost that basic charm and appeal.

The band members are currently doing other musical projects, we'll see what will happen on 10th anniversary reunion.

Atkingani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 19:21
Nice post, Moris! Thumbs%20Up
Guigo

~~~~~~
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 28 2007 at 20:37
Thanks. My intention is to add as much as possible unsigned prog bands from Croatia - (and a few signed in the corresponding thread) because there are no bands at all in country's entry. One might get an illusion there is no prog in a certain country if there is no bands listed here...I'll do my best to prove the opposite!
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 22:52
Nice little band, clarke2001, like Von Zamla jamming with a young Tull. Their material may not quite be there yet, but if they get a CD out, I would consider bringing them up to the Art team.

Edited by Atavachron - April 16 2007 at 00:36
DarioIndjic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 19 2007 at 00:44
Nice nice,they have a lot of balkan folklore influence which i like...

Edited by DarioIndjic - April 19 2007 at 00:51
Ars longa , vita brevis
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 20 2007 at 01:32
Pretty nice, and an enjoyable listen.

but it's not art-rock, folk (etnic folk?) would be a better definition of genre.

like the flute sound.
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
StarsongAgeless View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2007 at 19:12
Excellent music!  Pleasant to listen to, creative, and reminds me a lot of Jethro Tull (parts of Aqualung in particular).   I see what you mean about being 'prog-lite' - there aren't any mind-boggling demonstrations of prowess with an instrument, but your overall sound is so complete and well-executed, I don't think it needs anything extra.  You guys kind of have your own niche of the prog-related family, and you fill it nicely.  I hope that made sense to anyone other than me!

My favorite of the four songs you have up is 'Keo'.  But every single one is uniquely good!  There were some nifty sounds in 'Evolution 78' that particularly interested me and added a lot of depth to the song.  'Tropska' was so lively and sweet, it definately lifted my spirits.  'Hidronostalgia' was also a ton of fun to listen to.  I love that you break up the perkiness a little with the occasional short, quieter sections.
Check out the Unsigned Bands section!
"Like the time I ran away, and turned around and you were standing close to me." Yes' Awaken
clarke2001 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2007 at 11:49
Thanks for the feedback fellows!Thumbs%20Up

@ Atavachron: I should definitely check Von ZamlaEmbarrassed

@ DarioIndjic: Balkan folklore? Damn right!

@ Tuxon: folk subgenre? I don't know, maybe you're right. However, I uploaded two more songs (see bottom of my post) and now that you mentioned it...yep, they're all somewhat folksy.

@ StarsongAgeless: Thank you for you sincere review! I like your point of view...and your tasteWink

I uploaded two more songs...actually swapped them , because myspace account is limited to 4 songs:

SportSka: medieval Ska jogging for the masses.
Batuta Ekeke: ridiculous little number with annoying vocals and pseudo-african lyrics.

Cheers everyone,
M.

Edited by clarke2001 - September 09 2007 at 16:17
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 13 2008 at 05:30
(bump)

I'll have the new thread closed or merged.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply