FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedVirgin Black release"Requiem-Mezzo Forte"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Virgin Black release"Requiem-Mezzo Forte"
    Posted: March 30 2007 at 14:57

Virgin Black is one of those rare bands that not only attempt their own path in music, but succeed in producing something quite special. Sombre Romantic, their 2001 debut full-length following an EP entitled Trance two years prior, is a masterpiece, an emotive, expressive gothic doom album that relies not on bludgeoning riffs but subtle effects such as quiet piano interludes and the occasional Gregorian-styled vocal chant in order to convey melancholic and often haunting moods. At times the album feels more like a movie soundtrack than a simple collection of songs, with the band drifting from subdued vocal/guitar duets to aggressive riffing to quiet, moodier sections. This is one of the best albums to emerge in the past several years, and their recent Elegant ... But Dying release has proven to be a worthy followup. This is an outstanding and original band.

The band are currently in the midst of recording, ambitiously planning no less than three new albums (one purely orchestral, one with band and orchestral, and one "normal" band release). Entitled Requiem - pianissimo, Requiem - mezzo forte, and Requiem - fortissimo, respectively, the three albums are intended to be released simultaneously, probably in 2007.

Upcoming Album: Requiem - Mezzo Forte, due on April 03, 2007.
Tristan Mulders View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2007 at 15:29
I'm rather looking forward to these new releases. You can hear samples of the classical parts on their MySpace page (of which I've lost the url.. so sorry, you'll have to look it up yourself). Virgin Black indeed is a quite unique band. I have their two albums and love them to pieces. I'm actually listening to "Elegant and Dying" while typing this!

The songs are a mixture of classical compositions that rely on operatic vocals and piano playing, but on the other hand there are also the gothic and/or doom metal segments... So there's lots to enjoy. The music is very moody and the album title "Elegant... and dying" couldn't have been more significant to express the overall mood on a Virgin Black song.

I'm more than happy to see them being included on ProgArchives as progressive metal. I've always been quite the supporter for them whilst I still was part of the Prog Metal Team. Good to see the team did a good job with the addition! Thumbs%20Up
Interested in my reviews?
You can find them HERE

"...He will search until He's found a Way to take the Days..."
 Post Reply Post Reply