FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedArgent - Counterpoint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Argent - Counterpoint
    Posted: February 12 2005 at 15:02

Does anyone have any idea where I can lay my hands on a copy of this largely unapreciated offering. I know it's weird but for some reason this album struck a chord for me back in the early 80's when I picked it up for next to nothing in a charity shop. You can go on about it's lack of inspiration but for some reason I just couldn't stop playing it. I haven't the facility to play LPs anymore and I have a strong need to locate even an MP3 of it seeing as I can find no record of it ever being transferred to CD. If anyone knows how I can get my hands on this I would be eternally grateful.

Thoughtfullness
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2005 at 16:27

The Web site below has a list of all the guy's albums, and he lists his copy of Circus/Conterpoints as "CD-R", so perhaps he might help you out if you contact him via the link on his page:

http://www.suburbanambient.com/

http://www.suburbanambient.com/allalb.htm

I don't know who he is, but Google returned the above URLs. If you're desperate, it's worth a try. Good luck.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 12:38
By the Vinyl and rip it to cd, or download it with DC++ or Soulseek and make a cdr. I got it on cdr myself, great album, though Circus is better
Progger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 12:52
I still have the original 'Counterpoints' LP still shrink wrapped. For some reason I never played it. I believe it has Mr Phil Collins on drums. What are peoples thoughts on this album. The seemed to take a slightly different approach after Russ Ballard left but I do like 'Circus'!
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 14:09
I thought it was a really poor effort myself, the band never recovered from Ballard's departure. The parallels between Supertramp losing Hodgson and Argent losing Ballard are quite simialr. In both cases, the jazz influence of the remaining principle player/composer/singer came to the fore, and the public quickly turned their backs on them.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2005 at 17:18

Originally posted by Easy Livin Easy Livin wrote:

I thought it was a really poor effort myself, the band never recovered from Ballard's departure. The parallels between Supertramp losing Hodgson and Argent losing Ballard are quite simialr. In both cases, the jazz influence of the remaining principle player/composer/singer came to the fore, and the public quickly turned their backs on them.

I find it the opposite, Circus and Counterparts are their two best albums

BilboBaggins View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 09:00

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

By the Vinyl and rip it to cd, or download it with DC++ or Soulseek and make a cdr. I got it on cdr myself, great album, though Circus is better

Could you upload an mp3 of your cdr.....what is the quality like? Ar the tracks seperated into files?

To respond to the other comments please read on. Whether Counterpoints is your taste or not makes no differance to the fact that it needs an urgent transfer to CD. It is an important work and for me was part of my formative period of getting into Prog back in the mid to late seventies. I actually think it is a grossly underated album and after a few listens it becomes a pleasure to listen to. Yes it marks a move towards a more Jazzy style but this only makes Argent more interesting as a band. Unlike so many other bands of that time they resisted the commercial pressures of moving towards a more pop based sound. Rod Argent remains one of the most inspirational keyboard players.

Thoughtfullness
Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2005 at 14:43
I seem to remember it was Rod Argent's pull towards jazz, versus Ballard's desire to continue in the pop rock direction, which caused Ballard to leave. The usual musical differences.Confused
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2005 at 19:13
Originally posted by BilboBaggins BilboBaggins wrote:

Originally posted by flowerchild flowerchild wrote:

Could you upload an mp3 of your cdr.....what is the quality like? Ar the tracks seperated into files?

To respond to the other comments please read on. Whether Counterpoints is your taste or not makes no differance to the fact that it needs an urgent transfer to CD. It is an important work and for me was part of my formative period of getting into Prog back in the mid to late seventies. I actually think it is a grossly underated album and after a few listens it becomes a pleasure to listen to. Yes it marks a move towards a more Jazzy style but this only makes Argent more interesting as a band. Unlike so many other bands of that time they resisted the commercial pressures of moving towards a more pop based sound. Rod Argent remains one of the most inspirational keyboard players.

I can help u with that, yes. I'm working on it right now, cleaning it from noise and scratches. Send me a private message and we'll make some sort of deal Yes, it is seperated into files, u do that with the Nero program.

Edited by flowerchild
 Post Reply Post Reply