FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDream Theater "Systematic Chaos" Revealed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 15:34
Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Who cares about the cover,the music is all that matters!!!!

I'm right with you Progtologist, but you and I both know by now that many people on this site are not content unless they can take people's creativity and express displeasure with it.  If someone creates something from nothing and dares to call it art, to many people that is only a way to open themselves up to being dismissed or worse, ridiculed.  It makes them feel important, as if their opinion is so refined and high-brow that if they haven't been appointed supreme critic of all, by gum, they should be.  To them, most people should not even try to create.

This most often is not a conscience choice.  It is how society works anymore and many people are conditioned to have these types of reactions. In a world of political correctness where many people try and put a shiny veneer on all things, life is still about survival of the fittest.  If you are not the best, you lose.  There are so many meaningless threads on PA to back this up.  Which album/band/musician is better.  The constant need to determine "the best."   But you know what, in real life, I don't have to choose.  I can listen to Pink Floyd one minute and Yes the next and be totally content.  Maybe one is better than the other, but I can enjoy them both and not have to label one as "bad" and one as "good."

Just live your life, take in what is around you and concentrate on things that are actually important.  The release of this album cover artwork should not determine whether your life just got better or worse.  Some person or people came up with the concept and created something that wasn't there yesterday.  I say good for them.

I single no one out with these feelings.  It just seems fairly rampant around here on too many subjects.  If the music disappoints you, by all means pass that along in a constructive manner.  You paid for it (I hope) and are entitled.  But please temper your feelings about artwork or album titles or individuals in their attempt to 1)create something for you to enjoy and 2)make a living while doing it.

(I now step off my soapbox)
Biggles was in rehab last Saturday
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by LionHeart03 LionHeart03 wrote:

Well i think the cover is awesome it reminds me of Pink Floyd's Animals cover and i know its going to be a great Dream Theater album! Cant wait for June!!!!! Thumbs%20Up

I was thinking the same, though maybe a bit more like a cross with Animals/Blackfield II. Nice artwork all the same, cant wait for the album to come out!
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

MajesterX View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 16:12
[QUOTE=mcxwell](what are big ants doing in the city??)
QUOTE]

Why are there two guys, on on fire, shaking hands on WYWH?????
Why Is there a woman with a fox head on Foxtrot????
Why is there a flying pig on Animals???
Why is the earth falling apart on fragile????

Wink Get used to prog rock art work my friend! It almost never makes perfect sense when you look at it alone!
giantenemycrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 19:28
You all are aware that there is already a "Systematic Chaos" thread, right?

Looking forward to this and Kamelot's new work.
eriksalkeld View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 22:24
I don't like the album's name nor the cover, specially the third ant on the floor, it just doesn't look good, some shading is missing imo. This cover is lame. I just wish this album is better than octavarium that one's maybe there worst album (but not really a bad one).
Autenticidad, actitud, pluralidad, espiritu e inteligencia, si es prog bien, si no, tambien.
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 22:34
Originally posted by MajesterX MajesterX wrote:

[QUOTE=mcxwell](what are big ants doing in the city??)
QUOTE]

Why are there two guys, on on fire, shaking hands on WYWH?????
Why Is there a woman with a fox head on Foxtrot????
Why is there a flying pig on Animals???
Why is the earth falling apart on fragile????

Wink Get used to prog rock art work my friend! It almost never makes perfect sense when you look at it alone!

ClapClapClapClapClap

magnus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 20:15
Originally posted by LionHeart03 LionHeart03 wrote:

Well i think the cover is awesome it reminds me of Pink Floyd's Animals cover and i know its going to be a great Dream Theater album! Cant wait for June!!!!! Thumbs%20Up

I thought the same things. The colors are somewhat similar to the ones on Animals, and the pillars on DTs cover remind me on the factory pipes on Animals.

Can't wait to hear the music!
The scattered jigsaw of my redemption laid out before my eyes
Each piece as amorphous as the other - Each piece in its lack of shape a lie
akin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 22:47
The only thing that I didnīt like very much was the length of the album because usually albums that run for almost 80 minutes tend to be a little too much. Not that it is too much music, but it is more difficult to keep being interesting till the end.

Anyway I hope it fits for my taste, since there are some that I like very much and others that I donīt like that much.

R_DeNIRO View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 01:12
The strange thing would be that the album didnt's cloks at 80 min. Dream Theater always make "full albums".
We were always be much human than we whish to be.
lighthouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 06:17
Probably the best cover art Dream Theater have ever had  , its not  Eloy  "Oceans"  or Yes "Classic Yes"  what this cover is about is just what the title of the CD conjures up  I think we are in for a special Dream Theater effort here folks ! ..  the cover art has the "vibe"  about it    Thumbs%20Up
AcostaFulano View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:32
I like the cover....

Kinda reminds me of "I ROBOT" by alan parsons...

I don't know why the title of the album ALSO reminds me to that album

Anyone thinks the same?
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:36
Originally posted by R_DeNIRO R_DeNIRO wrote:

The strange thing would be that the album didnt's cloks at 80 min. Dream Theater always make "full albums".

that's good news.....

have often wondered if the 'CD format' for todays albums hurts them in the end.  There are those who might say that 35 to 40 minutes of highly crafted music is better than trying to stretch finite musical ideas into 77 or 80 minutes. Especially for a band who aren't exactly new and flush with great, untapped ideas.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Ty1020 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 07 2007 at 22:37
Did anybody else notice that the album cover has changed slightly? The words "Systematic Chaos" are now in red... not really a noteworthy change, but I thought I'd note it anyways :P. It's up on their MySpace page if anybody wants to see it (http://www.myspace.com/dreamtheater)
stonebeard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 12:02
80 minutes off good music > 40 minutes of good music

Problem is, Octavarium would probably have benefited with at least "Never Enough" getting chopped off.
Camel_APPeal View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2007 at 14:35
Originally posted by AcostaFulano AcostaFulano wrote:

I like the cover....

Kinda reminds me of "I ROBOT" by alan parsons...

I don't know why the title of the album ALSO reminds me to that album

Anyone thinks the same?

Not exactly the name reminds me of I Robot, but the cover seems to be a Storm Thorgerson's work (I Robot, Animals, and many more...)

Anyone can confirm if Storm did the cover artwork?

"After all, it's music what we're talking about here, so there's no best or worst; just what you like and what you don't"
thefalafelking View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2007 at 05:25
Steven Wilson guests on this album

www.swhq.co.uk
Unix View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 01:26
DREAM THEATER's upcoming release Systematic Chaos will be released on Tuesday June 5th (date may vary in different countries) and will be available in two formats:

Regular Edition CD:

and a Special Edition CD and DVD:

The Special Edition DVD will include:
--- the entire album mixed in 5.1 surround sound
--- "Chaos in Progress - The Making of Systematic Chaos"
(a 90-minute documentary directed by Mike Portnoy)

The CD's track listing for both editions is:

1. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.1 (9:00)
2. Forsaken (5:36)
3. Constant Motion (6:55)
4. The Dark Eternal Night (8:51)
5. Repentance (10:43)
6. Prophets Of War (6:01)
7. The Ministry of Lost Souls (14:57)
8. In The Presence of Enemies Pt.2 (16:38)

The band will shoot a video next week for the first single off the album, "Constant Motion".

enteredwinter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 01:53
^ Interesting news.

I'll get the special edition, I just hope the album's good enough to justify the purchase. I'm pessimistic, based on the slow-but-steady decline I see post-SFAM, but I'm trying to keep my hopes up.

Then again, I almost always find long making-of documentaries very interesting, even if the music involved isn't exactly the best the band has done.

giantenemycrab View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2007 at 12:28
Any guesses on the difference in prices?
Equality 7-2521 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2007 at 16:04
Originally posted by johnobvious johnobvious wrote:

Originally posted by TheProgtologist TheProgtologist wrote:

Who cares about the cover,the music is all that matters!!!!

I'm right with you Progtologist, but you and I both know by now that many people on this site are not content unless they can take people's creativity and express displeasure with it.  If someone creates something from nothing and dares to call it art, to many people that is only a way to open themselves up to being dismissed or worse, ridiculed.  It makes them feel important, as if their opinion is so refined and high-brow that if they haven't been appointed supreme critic of all, by gum, they should be.  To them, most people should not even try to create.

This most often is not a conscience choice.  It is how society works anymore and many people are conditioned to have these types of reactions. In a world of political correctness where many people try and put a shiny veneer on all things, life is still about survival of the fittest.  If you are not the best, you lose.  There are so many meaningless threads on PA to back this up.  Which album/band/musician is better.  The constant need to determine "the best."   But you know what, in real life, I don't have to choose.  I can listen to Pink Floyd one minute and Yes the next and be totally content.  Maybe one is better than the other, but I can enjoy them both and not have to label one as "bad" and one as "good."

Just live your life, take in what is around you and concentrate on things that are actually important.  The release of this album cover artwork should not determine whether your life just got better or worse.  Some person or people came up with the concept and created something that wasn't there yesterday.  I say good for them.

I single no one out with these feelings.  It just seems fairly rampant around here on too many subjects.  If the music disappoints you, by all means pass that along in a constructive manner.  You paid for it (I hope) and are entitled.  But please temper your feelings about artwork or album titles or individuals in their attempt to 1)create something for you to enjoy and 2)make a living while doing it.

(I now step off my soapbox)

The artwork has alot to do witht he album. I core tenant of the progressive rock movement was linking all aspects of art together into a cohesive whole. The visual is an important aspect of the art and a high concern for it was shown both in the elaborate stage shows and album covers. The artists obviously put considerable effort into choosing and designing appropriate cover art. So shouldn't it be something that we dedicate a proportional level of scrutiny to? Obviously the art in no way effects the music on the album, but the album is comprised more of the music contained in it.

"Just live your life, take in what is around you and concentrate on things that are actually important.  The release of this album cover artwork should not determine whether your life just got better or worse.  Some person or people came up with the concept and created something that wasn't there yesterday.  I say good for them."

If you really believed that then why are you posting a rather lengthy response. Why are you even a member of this board if you think that the discussion here is a distraction from more important things?
"One had to be a Newton to notice that the moon is falling, when everyone sees that it doesn't fall. "
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>