Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBass Communion - Steve Wilson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bass Communion - Steve Wilson
    Posted: April 05 2007 at 22:21
As many of you may know, Steve Wilson is the lead songwriter for Porcupine Tree, and he has produced many albums for other prog bands.  What some of you may not know of is one of his projects, Bass Communion.

"Bass Communion is a project dedicated to Steven Wilson's recordings in an ambient and/or electronic vein. Most of the pieces are experiments in texture made from processing recordings of real instruments and field recordings. The atmosphere of the music tends towards the dark and melancholic, but expressed with an almost zen like beauty. So far there have been several full length CDs, vinyl LPs, and singles, many of them issued in handmade or limited editions (which sell out very quickly) in elaborate packaging. The most recent release was the dark and spectral "Loss" LP, which contained just one 40 minute piece, issued as a limited edition of 450 vinyl LPs packaged in a perfumed cover with a photo album of funeral pictures from the early 20th century. The album is due for reissue on Soleilmoon later this year as a surround sound DVDA.

Bass Communion has collaborated with many leading experimental musicians such as Muslimgauze, Robert Fripp, VidnaObmana (on the ongoing Continuum project), Monolake, Jonathan Coleclough, Colin Potter, Andrew Liles, and several others."
(From the Bass Communion MySpace <http://www.myspace.com/basscommunion>)

I was wondering if
a.)   anyone here knows of/listens  to Bass Communion
b.)  If you think Bass Communion should be added to PA

I would probably say that Bass Communion should go under Prog-Related for many reasons.  First of all, I don't know if you can really classify it as anything else but maybe Space Rock.  Also, because it is by Steve Wilson, it can be considered prog-related because of his many connections to the prog genre.  Lastly, the music is influenced by prog.  I know that when Steven was young, he did listen to Dark Side of the Moon (he had one other favorite, but I forgot it).  Also, I remember reading that as a kid he tried to make ambient music with the little equipment he had.

I'm just trying to see if anyone else knows of Bass Communion, and whether or not they should be added.  I think that they should be, but that's just my opinion.
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2007 at 23:48
I've been meaning to get around to listening to them. I have both Blackfield albums and a couple of No-Man albums.  
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 00:25
I know of it and I listened to some samples here and there. I've always seen them labeled ambient and I don't think ambient artists can be considered prog (yeah, its progressive kind of music, but not prog in the progarchives sense of the word). The only place I can see them here in PA is in prog related or prog electronic even though I wouldn't like to see them here in PA at all, honestly.

Perhaps further listens may change my mind, but for now I'm sticking to what I said.

asimplemistake View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 06 2007 at 01:04
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

I know of it and I listened to some samples here and there. I've always seen them labeled ambient and I don't think ambient artists can be considered prog (yeah, its progressive kind of music, but not prog in the progarchives sense of the word). The only place I can see them here in PA is in prog related or prog electronic even though I wouldn't like to see them here in PA at all, honestly.

Perhaps further listens may change my mind, but for now I'm sticking to what I said.

Yes I do agree with you that because it is ambient music which isn't really considered prog that it doesn't really need to be here.  My main reason that it should be under prog-related was because it is made by Steve Wilson.

I do though see where you are coming from and that's why I made this thread really.  I didn't know what you guys would think of Bass Communion.
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2007 at 16:09
DAN! Loss finally arrived today! I ordered it something like three weeks ago! I'm so excited!!!
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2007 at 10:37
I'd put this under progressive electronic.  I've got several now including the one(s) with Muslimgauze.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Detric View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 17:05
Agree on this one, put his Bass Communion work under progressive electronic. Cant see any reason to exclude him from progarchives.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 18:57
wow I made this thread a while ago, and I would still like to see BC here although it's not too important.

About it being progressive electronic, most of BC's songs are acoustic, and then some sounds are altered with effects, but most of the time its real instruments and sounds.  This excludes though his work with Muzlimgauze and some others because that's just a tiny bit different.

I still believe though that BC has a connection to Progressive music because of Steve Wilson's connection to prog. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2007 at 18:58
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

DAN! Loss finally arrived today! I ordered it something like three weeks ago! I'm so excited!!!

How do you like it so far?  I still listen to it from time to time, but it require me to dedicate myself to it completely, otherwise it's just not as amazing.
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2007 at 16:53
At the very least it should be here under prog-related, as it's essentially Steven Wilson's solo project.
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 01:44
Bass Communion in the house! Wink
Ricochet View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 01:46

I know of it and I listened to some samples here and there. I've always seen them labeled ambient and I don't think ambient artists can be considered prog (yeah, its progressive kind of music, but not prog in the progarchives sense of the word).

Com'on, Ruben, don't say it like that. CryCry Ambient music can develop some genetics and absorbing qualities for prog. If going by what you said, we would have to erase half of the artists from prog electronic. Wilson does, I have to say, a very powerful work by living his ambient/electronic dream.

Edited by Ricochet - February 01 2008 at 01:46
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 15:36
Just file it under God.Big%20smile
Yet another SW project to start collecting.
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
N Ellingworth View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 17:19
Nice to see Bass Communion added
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2008 at 19:01
Originally posted by Ricochet Ricochet wrote:

I know of it and I listened to some samples here and there. I've always seen them labeled ambient and I don't think ambient artists can be considered prog (yeah, its progressive kind of music, but not prog in the progarchives sense of the word).

Com'on, Ruben, don't say it like that. CryCry Ambient music can develop some genetics and absorbing qualities for prog. If going by what you said, we would have to erase half of the artists from prog electronic. Wilson does, I have to say, a very powerful work by living his ambient/electronic dream.

Sorry Vic.

I guess I was a bit cranky that day.Embarrassed

Post Reply Post Reply